Bengal training site

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it may work but so do normal methods of cat training:_)

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might, but we've had 3 bengals and we've trained them by ourselves with no books, professionals, or anything. Naturally, they're cats who are eager to learn. Try it on your own and see what happens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was just curious- I'd like to watch it just to see what it's all about but it's $77!!!

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't understand... What are we training our cat for? They're cats! They sleep and eat and sometimes look for a belly rub. They're mischievious troublemakers. What can we train them to do? The Mrs' Cousin has been training his cat to fetch for four years... Nothing yet. Our cat came with a built in fetch circuit. I'm not so sure this is not a scam.

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sailfish

I don't understand... What are we training our cat for? They're cats! They sleep and eat and sometimes look for a belly rub. They're mischievious troublemakers. What can we train them to do? The Mrs' Cousin has been training his cat to fetch for four years... Nothing yet. Our cat came with a built in fetch circuit. I'm not so sure this is not a scam.
Our late bengal, Spot, was super trainable. We taught him:

-fetch
-"Play the Guitar" (telling him, "Spot, go play the guitar!" and he'd run to the den with the guitar on it and bite the strings)
-"Turn the knob" (if he wanted breakfast or dinner he would have to reach up to the closet door knob and grab it with his paws)

...among other smaller tricks. He loved it - he was a total ham!

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Although not trained my Mom had a cat "Taffy" that would pull open a spring loaded door to a TV stand and let it slam shut when he wanted to go out. He would do this repitisiously untill you got up and opened the door. It was un-nerving. Not really sure who is trianing who. I'm impressed to learn that a cat can be taught. I better give these creatures some more credit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I got the impression it was more like "train your cat to not eat the plants or get on the kitchen table" but I skimmed through it really fast...

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't have to do any special training to Simba. He plays fetch on his own. I bought him some crinkle balls, threw one, he ran after it, grabbed, it brought it back to me to throw for him, again, and it just continued on from that. Now, I don't even have to get the ball for him. He'll find it, bring up to me out of the blue, telling me he wants to play.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the guy who wrote the book has been stalking our forums
The subjects that are addressed are common topics here and on other sites. I wouldn't spend $77 for it
Yes, "cat communications" are complex, which is why cat relationships are sooo rewarding

Some cats are more interested in learning "tricks". Our first JC learned simple tricks of "sit", "roll over", "sit up" "shake" from watching my daughters train their Border Collie. It was hilarious the first time that we realized the cat was performing right alongside the dog! When we'd give the command, the dog would look over at the cat & the cat would do it
I wondered if the dog was somehow communicating to JC, as we had 2 other cats right there who showed no interest in performing whatsover. Makes me realize how little I know about skilled non-verbal communication, esp. when the other party has rotating ears and a tail