New Cat Owner (Behaviour Help!)

adiago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I just signed up and thought I'd post a little bit about my new kitten. First of all, I've never had a cat before so this is my first one. He's a little boy, almost 13weeks old. I just got him today, and at first he was a little scared and was checking around the house, getting familiar. Then later today he got attached to us, came up, wanted to cuddle, purrs and is just adorable.

He has eaten, drank water and did #1 and #2 on his litterbox, everything's great except for 3 things.

1. When he does #1 or #2, he digs a whole and does his in there then covers it up with sand. This is an issue only when he does #2, since he touches #2 and gets it on his back-paws, and it's a pain since he jumps up on my bed, on me, and yeah, kitty-poo everywhere, not a good thing.

2. He farts a lot, at least he did the first few hours, this is probably since we're feeding him something else than the food he was used to at his old home. So i'm wondering, will this stop once he's settled with the new food?

3. When he streched, he clunches his paws and it's almost as if he's scratching, he does it on my bed, my clothes etc. I got his a scratching-board, but he doesn't like to use it, is this normal and not real scratching, anything I should worry about, or should I keep trying to make him scratch the scratching-board and it ONLY!

Thank you so much for your help in advance
much appreciated!

New cat-owner (and a very happy one), A

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site!

1. When he does #1 or #2, he digs a whole and does his in there then covers it up with sand. This is an issue only when he does #2, since he touches #2 and gets it on his back-paws, and it's a pain since he jumps up on my bed, on me, and yeah, kitty-poo everywhere, not a good thing.
This is very common with kittens. As he gets older, he'll get more coordinated and this shouldn't be a problem. I went through this stage with all mine when they were kittens- I felt like I was constantly on "poopy paws patrol!"

2. He farts a lot, at least he did the first few hours, this is probably since we're feeding him something else than the food he was used to at his old home. So i'm wondering, will this stop once he's settled with the new food?
Assuming he has a clean bill of health (no worms, etc. which are very common in kittens), then this problem is likely due to a combination of new food and a new environment. The changes are stressful on a young animal, and one of the ways it manifests is in stinky gas. This should improve as he adjusts to his new food and to a new home.

3. When he streched, he clunches his paws and it's almost as if he's scratching, he does it on my bed, my clothes etc. I got his a scratching-board, but he doesn't like to use it, is this normal and not real scratching, anything I should worry about, or should I keep trying to make him scratch the scratching-board and it ONLY!
You might need to "teach" him how to use his scratching post. You can also reward him with treats when he does use it. Also, you might consider getting a bitter spray (sold at pet supply stores) to spray on things you don't want him scratching. Again, this is something he will learn- getting there is the part that will require understanding and patience!

Good luck with your new addition!

xian120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the litter box may be to small for him to move around and not step back in what he just did. You said sand, is he going outside? or did you put sand in it? Sorry, I just cant tell from your post. He may have been nervous causing him to fart a ton, are you feeding him kitten food? I bought Otis a scratching post, he has NEVER used it, he'd rather claw at the front door mat, which is fine with me. Try rubbing catnip on the scratch pad, that might get him using it.... unless theres an age that is to young to give them catnip....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adiago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is very common with kittens. As he gets older, he'll get more coordinated and this shouldn't be a problem. I went through this stage with all mine when they were kittens- I felt like I was constantly on "poopy paws patrol!"
Oh, that's a big reliefe
, hope he learns as well, was maybe thinking I need to take him to another cat and it might teach him "the other way"

Assuming he has a clean bill of health (no worms, etc. which are very common in kittens), then this problem is likely due to a combination of new food and a new environment. The changes are stressful on a young animal, and one of the ways it manifests is in stinky gas. This should improve as he adjusts to his new food and to a new home.
Yes he is, she gave him something for the stomach 3weeks ago (to clean it from worms and such, no idea what the english word is, de-worming maybe? hehe). It might be the new enviroment yeah, as soon as he hears a sound his head is up and checking it out.

You might need to "teach" him how to use his scratching post. You can also reward him with treats when he does use it. Also, you might consider getting a bitter spray (sold at pet supply stores) to spray on things you don't want him scratching. Again, this is something he will learn- getting there is the part that will require understanding and patience!

Good luck with your new addition!
Ah, will do, that sounds like a good idea, he hasn't really started on furnitures or anything so I'm not worried yet, but I'm glad it can be fixed

And thank you for the fast reply, really appreciate it. Right now he's sleeping inbetween my pillows (it's 4am (Sweden), I'm up, he's not)

Sounds like the litter box may be to small for him to move around and not step back in what he just did. You said sand, is he going outside? or did you put sand in it? Sorry, I just cant tell from your post. He may have been nervous causing him to fart a ton, are you feeding him kitten food? I bought Otis a scratching post, he has NEVER used it, he'd rather claw at the front door mat, which is fine with me. Try rubbing catnip on the scratch pad, that might get him using it.... unless theres an age that is to young to give them catnip....
It's not small no, it's too big maybe, could fit 2 adult cats in there, so he has lots of room, and yes I filled it with sand, just bought it today. He's also an indoor cat (live in an apartment, so can't let him out on his own). Yes, I bought 'Junior' food, since he's not 1yo yet (the box said -1) and he likes it, has eaten 2,3 times.

Catnip sounds like a good idea, I wanted to buy one today but my friend said no since he's too small and it would probably drive him a little crazy, since he's new and all. But I will try that once he's a bit older thank you!

Thanks again you both

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow- you *are* up early if you're over in Europe!

Yes he is, she gave him something for the stomach 3weeks ago (to clean it from worms and such, no idea what the english word is, de-worming maybe? hehe). It might be the new enviroment yeah, as soon as he hears a sound his head is up and checking it out.
Yes, de-worming.

It's not small no, it's too big maybe, could fit 2 adult cats in there, so he has lots of room, and yes I filled it with sand, just bought it today. He's also an indoor cat (live in an apartment, so can't let him out on his own).
I don't know about using sand- most people use cat litter of some variety because it clumps up for easier scooping and helps control the smell. Whatever you put in the box should be okay, as long as he always uses it, and you make sure to scoop at least once a day (preferably twice).

Yes, I bought 'Junior' food, since he's not 1yo yet (the box said -1) and he likes it, has eaten 2,3 times.
Yes, feed the Junior food until he's a year. When you switch over to adult food, you'll want to mix the two for a few weeks to make it an easier transition (usually 2/3 old and 1/3 new for a week, 1/2 and 1/2 for a week, 2/3 new and 1/3 old for a week, and then all new).

Catnip sounds like a good idea, I wanted to buy one today but my friend said no since he's too small and it would probably drive him a little crazy, since he's new and all. But I will try that once he's a bit older thank you!
I've also heard it's bad to give catnip when they are young (under a year). Know that some cats won't ever react to it- it's a genetic thing. I have one who loves it, and one who doesn't care about it at all.

adiago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow- you *are* up early if you're over in Europe!
I'm a nightowl alright
, been staying up all springbreak and now I can't change back.. just yet! And, I'm also a little afraid to go to bed since he's sleeping ther, afraid I'll turn in my sleep and he'll get cought or something!

I don't know about using sand- most people use cat litter of some variety because it clumps up for easier scooping and helps control the smell. Whatever you put in the box should be okay, as long as he always uses it, and you make sure to scoop at least once a day (preferably twice).
Yes it's that, sand/stones or yeah, but it clumps up and is easy to scoop, scooped it once today went great, didn't help much with the smell since he really went big on #2 (might of have been why it didn't help so much), but yeah it works.

If I later on decide to use something else, a different variety, will he still go in the litterbox or protest?

Yes, feed the Junior food until he's a year. When you switch over to adult food, you'll want to mix the two for a few weeks to make it an easier transition (usually 2/3 old and 1/3 new for a week, 1/2 and 1/2 for a week, 2/3 new and 1/3 old for a week, and then all new).
Sounds like a good idea, thanks. Right now I'm only giving him the hard food, good for his teeth, eyes, furr etc, but the previous owner said she started giving them their mothers food as well (think she ment the wet food from cans and such), is it ok if I give him that as well once a day maybe? (then when he egts older 2 or 3 times). Is it necessery to start with wet food, can they live on the hard, cracker type ones?

Spike's head is on my pillow, looks like he's sleeping but watching me type :], think he farted a little while ago again! hehe

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Adiago

I had this problem with my Gizmo.....until I bought a larger litter box and it's not been a problem since. Then again he's 5 1/2 months now so maybe he just became more coodinated as CurlyQ629 suggested.
Either way no more poopy feet so I'm sure your kitty will get better at it in time.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I later on decide to use something else, a different variety, will he still go in the litterbox or protest?
Honestly, it depends on the cat. Mine have been fine with a variety of different brands, but I know other people whose cats are much more picky about their litter. Again, the gradual change-over can be helpful when making a transition to a new litter (like the food).

Right now I'm only giving him the hard food, good for his teeth, eyes, furr etc, but the previous owner said she started giving them their mothers food as well (think she ment the wet food from cans and such), is it ok if I give him that as well once a day maybe? (then when he egts older 2 or 3 times). Is it necessery to start with wet food, can they live on the hard, cracker type ones?
It is important for them to get wet food, too. Many people who post on this site will tell you that wet food is more important/ better for the cat than the dry. Among many reasons, the wet food has more water (obviously) which helps your cat stay hydrated (this can be a big problem with cats, and can lead to a lot of health problems if they don't get enough water). There are a ton of threads about what food to feed; you might try using the search feature to do some research on this if you're interested.

I think he farted a little while ago again! hehe
I've been there. Leo likes to sleep on my pillow, and one night he let out a fart that was so stinky that it woke me up! Man, was it terrible!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your new kitty.

Wet food is important for your kitty to have, especially a male that I presume will be neutered. Also dry food really doesn't do much for their teeth since they break the food with the tip of the tooth and swallow. Getting your kitty used to having his teeth brushed would be a great thing to do now while he is so young.

Also, while he is young, get him used to having his paws handled and clip his nails every week or 2. This will help you both!
Bijou and Mika are so used to their paws being handled now that I can actually hold Bijou's paw while he sleeps and both are used to having the nails clipped.

adiago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is important for them to get wet food, too. Many people who post on this site will tell you that wet food is more important/ better for the cat than the dry. Among many reasons, the wet food has more water (obviously) which helps your cat stay hydrated (this can be a big problem with cats, and can lead to a lot of health problems if they don't get enough water). There are a ton of threads about what food to feed; you might try using the search feature to do some research on this if you're interested.
I bought wet food today and he loved it, gave him one bag only since he hasn't eaten all of it yet.

I've been there. Leo likes to sleep on my pillow, and one night he let out a fart that was so stinky that it woke me up! Man, was it terrible!
Hehe, Spikes has stopped farting, well I think he let one go earlier today but it wasnt anything like the 20 ones he let last night (might be because we started giving him wet food as well, or he's just more comfortable with us now)

Also right now, he did his #1 and then covered it up and just sat there, why doesn't he want to go from there? (I picked him up after a while took him to my room, now he's playing and having fun)

Congratulations on your new kitty.
Thank you

Wet food is important for your kitty to have, especially a male that I presume will be neutered. Also dry food really doesn't do much for their teeth since they break the food with the tip of the tooth and swallow. Getting your kitty used to having his teeth brushed would be a great thing to do now while he is so young.
You have to brush their teeth? How does that work!

Also, while he is young, get him used to having his paws handled and clip his nails every week or 2. This will help you both! Bijou and Mika are so used to their paws being handled now that I can actually hold Bijou's paw while he sleeps and both are used to having the nails clipped.
Sounds like a good idea, thanks

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't just clip their claws without learning how.. the vet can show you, otherwise you could end up cutting at the wrong place and apart from hurting him, it will bleed a lot.

sangria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we got our Tsuki (now 1 year old) she farted so badly, it rivaled my husbands. And she had poopy feet! You'll be glad to know she had grown out of them both!
When we first got Tsuki, she had been living on strictly wet food, and we continued to feed her that, but she started getting health issues (diarrhea, vomiting, Upper Respiratory Infection), so we switched to the pouch food that's moist but not quite as wet. We now feed them dry with one can of wet (each) a day, and that seems to work out best.
I don't really know if the wet food is what caused her to be sick so much, or if it was just bad luck, but she was a lot healthier when we switched her food and the vet said the wet might have been the cause.

Anyway, good luck with your new kitty!
~Sangria

adiago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please don't just clip their claws without learning how.. the vet can show you, otherwise you could end up cutting at the wrong place and apart from hurting him, it will bleed a lot.
I Wont, I'll just learn him use his scratch-board and he can keep them (most probably).

When we got our Tsuki (now 1 year old) she farted so badly, it rivaled my husbands. And she had poopy feet! You'll be glad to know she had grown out of them both!
When we first got Tsuki, she had been living on strictly wet food, and we continued to feed her that, but she started getting health issues (diarrhea, vomiting, Upper Respiratory Infection), so we switched to the pouch food that's moist but not quite as wet. We now feed them dry with one can of wet (each) a day, and that seems to work out best.
I don't really know if the wet food is what caused her to be sick so much, or if it was just bad luck, but she was a lot healthier when we switched her food and the vet said the wet might have been the cause.

Anyway, good luck with your new kitty!
~Sangria
Ah, yeah I've started to feed him one pack of wet food each day as well, seems to be working great since it takes a while for him to eat everything, he's doing good now (playful a lot more, started jumping and climbing)

I have a problem though I hope was just an accident. This morning he peed on my bed, a lot. I woke up early saw him walking around my bed, picked him up on top of my covers, thought He'd want to sleep a little with me, cuddle, after a minute or less he just peed where he was sitting. Is this just an accident or will I have to do something to prevent him from peeing or pooping in other places than his litterbox? (I have to carry him to his litterbox for him to do his #1 or #2, he went all the way by himself once, but haven't seen him do it by himself anymore!) I've showed him the way 10times by now!

Edit: I don't think it was an accident, he just did it again, I carried him up near to his ltterbox, instead of walking to it and peeing he did it right there on the floor, why is he doing this, and how can I help him to stop doing it outside the litterbox? (he didn't before, but then again we carried him quite a bit to the litterbox each time he went, except for once he went alone did his and got scared and hid somewhere)!.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a problem though I hope was just an accident. This morning he peed on my bed, a lot. I woke up early saw him walking around my bed, picked him up on top of my covers, thought He'd want to sleep a little with me, cuddle, after a minute or less he just peed where he was sitting. Is this just an accident or will I have to do something to prevent him from peeing or pooping in other places than his litterbox? (I have to carry him to his litterbox for him to do his #1 or #2, he went all the way by himself once, but haven't seen him do it by himself anymore!) I've showed him the way 10times by now!

Edit: I don't think it was an accident, he just did it again, I carried him up near to his ltterbox, instead of walking to it and peeing he did it right there on the floor, why is he doing this, and how can I help him to stop doing it outside the litterbox? (he didn't before, but then again we carried him quite a bit to the litterbox each time he went, except for once he went alone did his and got scared and hid somewhere)!.
Given how young he is, he might not be able to get to the box in time, or remember where it is. I would suggest confining him to a room or two in your house, along with his food, water, and litter box, until he is using his box all the time.

You might also think about switching the sand you said you are using to cat litter. Some cats are very sensitive/picky about what they go to the bathroom on. If he's repeatedly going outside the box, he may not like the feel of the sand on his paws, and so he is finding a place that feels more comfortable. Soft bedding is often the place they will choose.

Check out the "sticky" thread at the top of the behavior forum about inappropriate peeing. There is a ton of great advice there.

Good luck!

adiago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Given how young he is, he might not be able to get to the box in time, or remember where it is. I would suggest confining him to a room or two in your house, along with his food, water, and litter box, until he is using his box all the time.
I think I will have to do that if he continues to go in other places. He did his #2 in his litterbox just now, but I carried him all the way there, he dug a whole did his and came back to my room.

You might also think about switching the sand you said you are using to cat litter. Some cats are very sensitive/picky about what they go to the bathroom on. If he's repeatedly going outside the box, he may not like the feel of the sand on his paws, and so he is finding a place that feels more comfortable. Soft bedding is often the place they will choose.
The sand is pretty good, but yeah it could be softer for him since he's a kitten, I might try another brand somtimes next week when I clean the whole thing, something softer maybe.

Check out the "sticky" thread at the top of the behavior forum about inappropriate peeing. There is a ton of great advice there.
Oh, will do right away, thanks.

krissie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also--when peple have given tips about clipping the cats' nails, they're not talking about declawing--they're talking about trimming them, like you'd trim your own nails. Using the scratching post saves your furniture, but it doesn't keep them from having razor-sharp talons.

adiago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also--when peple have given tips about clipping the cats' nails, they're not talking about declawing--they're talking about trimming them, like you'd trim your own nails. Using the scratching post saves your furniture, but it doesn't keep them from having razor-sharp talons.
Yeah that's what I will do much later.

I think this is nothing but I have to ask to be sure. He's been making these weird cough sounds like he's pushing something back or trying to cough something up. He licks himself everyday from what I know, so is this just hairballs or could it be something else? If it is hairballs, is there something I can do/give to make it easier for him, to not do it so often (a few times a day)?

He also makes this sound when sleeping/resting.. when breathing, like if his nose is tept/close, he has a bugger or something... is that something to worry about? I felt his nose, it's dry, soft nice pink'ish... looks good! The sound stops when he's alert/awake, just not when resting/sleeping... is he maybe snoring?