7 year old female cat...blackening nose,mouth,chin

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 year old, female classic gray tabby.

Only health ailment has been one eye that closes up every 3 months, like clockwork for 5 years. Vet prescirbes anitbiotic oinment.

It appears part of her chin,her mouth area, and halfway up her nose, is becoming a black color. Perhaps its just normal aging, perhaps its something that always been there but becoming noticeable as she ages.

Or Perhaps it is a known sign of illness??

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by empirefalls

Only health ailment has been one eye that closes up every 3 months, like clockwork for 5 years. Vet prescirbes anitbiotic oinment.

It appears part of her chin,her mouth area, and halfway up her nose, is becoming a black color. Perhaps its just normal aging, perhaps its something that always been there but becoming noticeable as she ages.

can you post before and after photos? 7 yrs old is a bit young to show signs of aging like that. could be a fungus?

mynx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Sounds like feline acne.... it is common as cats get older
Does it sort of resemble blackheads? My 16 year old cat powder has it is well. Shes all white so it shows up pretty well.. under her chin. Its rather harmless but only a vet could say for sure if thats what it is.
Hope this helps!
She has had this since she was 5-6 or so....

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline acne does not affect the nose. This could be a bacterial or fungal infection. I'd see a different vet for a second opinion.

aimeeinohio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if you use plastic feeding dishes it could be a reaction to the plastic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
all good points. about a reaction to plastic, she has developed a habit of leaning over her plastic water bowl and falling asleep. trust me, the bowl and the water are very clean,they are cleaned and rinsed with water so there is not a micro amount of soap, that might be making her react like that

shes going to the vet as soon as i can afford it. she does not seem to be in pain and in a good mood.

the blackening skin area might be ance or just natural skin color i have never noticed in 7 years.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i dont know if this is the same with cats, but in dogs, their noses can lighten and darken with changing seasons. also, it can darken if they are being fed healthier food, or are in better health in general for some reason. as far as reaction to plastic, that usually bleaches the nose and makes it lighter not darker but if you do feed from plastic it wouldnt hurt to switch to steel or ceramic dishes. it doesnt sound to me like anything to worry about. before taking your kitty to the vet, i would call and speak to the vet first and see if she thinks you need to bring her in. speak to the actually doctor not the person that answers the phone.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

trust me, the bowl and the water are very clean,they are cleaned and rinsed with water so there is not a micro amount of soap, that might be making her react like that
When the plastic gets scratched, the tiny scratches hold bacteria even though we think we've cleaned it thoroughly. I liken it to when you have a crack in a plate it can still carry salmonella after washing.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

When the plastic gets scratched, the tiny scratches hold bacteria even though we think we've cleaned it thoroughly. I liken it to when you have a crack in a plate it can still carry salmonella after washing.
well its not only that, the oil from the plastic (plastic is basically made from oil) will seep into the water/food and that is not healthy. it also will make water taste funny after sitting in plastic for a couple hours.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

all good points. about a reaction to plastic, she has developed a habit of leaning over her plastic water bowl and falling asleep. trust me, the bowl and the water are very clean,they are cleaned and rinsed with water so there is not a micro amount of soap, that might be making her react like that

shes going to the vet as soon as i can afford it. she does not seem to be in pain and in a good mood.

the blackening skin area might be ance or just natural skin color i have never noticed in 7 years.
the reaction spoken of would be to the actual plastic itself, not to any soap residue (although that could cause a reaction as well if there was any).