Swimmer's Ear?

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any experience with this? I'm so freaking miserable. It found me Sunday night while I was at work, about midnight, and by the time 6am rolled around to go home, I had to have my brother come pick me up to take me home because I was in so much pain. Went to the doctor at 11:00am Monday morning, and he looked in my ear, and said "OH I am so sorry". My entire ear canal is swollen shut, and he even gave me painkiller's for the pain, and I still haven't shaken it. I called out of work the rest of this weekend because the only thing getting me through this are the pk's, and I can't go to work with those in me. All I can do is lay in bed and cry.
It hurt's so bad! And I don't even swim! Bad joke because evidently you can get it even if you don't. *sigh* I just wanted to vent. It hurt's so bad.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had it several times. I didn't quite understand if you went to the doctor. You should have some drops, and those should work in about 24 hours...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My nephew was complaining his ear hurt everytime he went swimming and altho the doc said he didnt actually have swimmers ear but that water was not coming out of his ear and could get it He recomended getting a syringe and filling it with half vinegar and half rubbing alcohol ....... the vinegar would act as an antiseptic and the alcohol would dry his ear out from the water. just syringing into the ear and turning the ear over a towel for it to come out again. We had to do this everytime he swam ...... it may work for you ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I did go to the doctors. He gave me 2 types of drops, one for numbing, and one is an antibiotic. He said it would take a few days before I start to feel normal, but I'm just miserable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

My nephew was complaining his ear hurt everytime he went swimming and altho the doc said he didnt actually have swimmers ear but that water was not coming out of his ear and could get it He recomended getting a syringe and filling it with half vinegar and half rubbing alcohol ....... the vinegar would act as an antiseptic and the alcohol would dry his ear out from the water. just syringing into the ear and turning the ear over a towel for it to come out again. We had to do this everytime he swam ...... it may work for you ...
He told me not to even try to stick anything in my ear, even my own finger, till the swelling goes down. I read that about the alcohol and vinegar on webmd, but I think I just missed the boat on that being able help me. I'm having a hard enough time trying to get the antibiotics in there. It hurts!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by alikatt

He told me not to even try to stick anything in my ear, even my own finger, till the swelling goes down. I read that about the alcohol and vinegar on webmd, but I think I just missed the boat on that being able help me. I'm having a hard enough time trying to get the antibiotics in there. It hurts!
Yes I wouldnt try that since I read he gave you drops ..... sorry you are feeling so bad tho
maybe it will kick in soon and relieve the pressure !!

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everytime I get out from Swimming, I always have to use drops, because I get such irritation, and also pain in my left ear!

It's so disturbing!!

It sounds like some of you have some real pain.
Good Luck!!