managing black cat hair

blackcatsforme2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone - I have 2 precious black beauties and have a tough time staying on top of their hair - it is everywhere??? Any ideas on how you manage cat hair?

Thanks

Shannon, Baby & Sulley

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have shorthairs - rex and domestic. The rex, of course, really does not shed and I use a fine toothed comb on him every so often. The other, she gets combed about once a week. She doesn't shed a lot either.

Sometimes poorer quality food will cause them to shed more. What are you feeding your cats? If they are longhairs, then you'll have to comb them a minimum of 3 times a week if not more.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!

I would suggest feeding a high quality food, brushing them every day if you can, and vacuuming a lot. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blackcatsforme2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
plus since we just moved I have purchased black furniture! A new bursh is a great idea! Thank you

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to DSH cats and both love to shed!!!

I brush them daily, at least once, sometimes more. As far as vacuuming goes, I have an attachment that I bought off a commercial from the television a few years back. It's an upholstery brush but has one of those red fabric lint removers instead of brush bristles. I pick up so much hair and dander with it.

Since I've been brushing frequently I have noticed a drastic drop in the amount of hair left on my furniture. Chynna used to lay on the couch and leave a pile of hair behind. She still leaves hair but it's not noticeable until after a few days.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not, just that black fur is more noticable then other colors if you have light color furniture. And light colors are more noticable on dark furniture - so maybe you need to coordinate furniture with cat colors

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its not, just that black fur is more noticable then other colors if you have light color furniture. And light colors are more noticable on dark furniture - so maybe you need to coordinate furniture with cat colors
In my dog rescue work we have literally had animals turned in because the owners were redecorating and the pets color no longer matched.
And I'm not kidding.

My question is why the black animals always lay on the white bedspread while the white ones lay on the navy blue rug?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know about that (with the animals). We kid around on our labrador message board about the fact you need light furniture for yellow labs and dark for the black/chocolate.

We also own an all white cat (rex) and a black/white - mainly black (Ling) - but neither shed a lot.

You learn to buy clothes that don't attract too much fur or colors that will hide any cat/dog hair.

IMO those with animals - you either pick out an animal that blends in with what you got - OR you buy furniture that blends in with the cat. If you change furniture you DON'T change the pet!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our DLH Ebony always left tons of hair on the bottom of our bed on the bedspread. I used a damp sponge (moving in one direction only) and the sponge held the hair beautifully. Then just use your fingers to pick the clumps of hair off the sponge. And again, the daily brushing and vacuuming will help.

Fortunately for us, Bijou likes to be vacuumed with the central vac so that helps.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I Zoom Groom and smoothing comb Scratch once a day. DH and I vacuum twice a week, and have removable washable couch covers. This cuts down on having his fur all over the place. We still have found small tufts of hair through out the apartment, and everyday when I go to work I have to tape roller myself off before I sit down. I hope this helps.

Here's a link for the Zoom Groom: http://www.cattoys.com/catzoomgroom.html

deni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rubber gloves really do work especially the ones with the dimpled finger pads, great on the offending furry creature and furnishings, carpets, clothes. I groom my two on a regular basis but they still shed, you have to remember that central heating plays an important factor in this.

Cats are designed to shed their coats in summer months, heating tricks their coats into thinking it's summer all year round, this also extends to that other tricky problem fleas, thankfully mine haven't suffered from that problem for a very long time but of course fleas do not breed on the host but on the furnishings, hence the need to "do" the whole house as well as the pets.

calicocallie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a medium-haired calico cat... so different colored cat hairs are everywhere! She is shedding like a maniac right now, too. I vacuum my carpet and my furniture once a week, and my husband and I keep a lint roller handy because her hair gets ALL over our clothes!

When I get home everyday, I make a point to change into "scroungier" clothes so I can cuddle with my cat with no fear of any nice clothing getting messed up or doused in fur!

Most of our house is done in earth tones, so it's really not that noticeable.

I would rather have the "problem" of removing cat hair than to not have a cat... call it true love!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG the black cat hair problem!! I tell ya, I have 2 black cats and 10 others of various colors (mostly red). Of the hair that I find, most of it is black.

I've had this discussion with a friend who has 1 black, 1 white and 2 red cats. Most of the hair she finds is black.

Use all the tricks previously discussed. I switched from a tan sofa to a dark brown and that helped a lot!!

Good luck!!

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deni

Rubber gloves really do work especially the ones with the dimpled finger pads, great on the offending furry creature and furnishings, carpets, clothes. I groom my two on a regular basis but they still shed, you have to remember that central heating plays an important factor in this.

Cats are designed to shed their coats in summer months, heating tricks their coats into thinking it's summer all year round, this also extends to that other tricky problem fleas, thankfully mine haven't suffered from that problem for a very long time but of course fleas do not breed on the host but on the furnishings, hence the need to "do" the whole house as well as the pets.
I never thought about rubber gloves. Do they work fine dry, or do you dampen them at all?

PJ sheds way more than Teddy - mostly black because she's a torti, but she also loves to be groomed, so we can keep her under control. Teddy doesn't shed as much, but he hates being groomed, and our beige couch has quite a gray tinge to it from time to time thanks to his fur!

deni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They work fine dry, I would say better. The good quality gloves ie Marigolds things like that are brilliant. I had one rug which was a particular target for the "crudding" brigade as I call them, the glove worked or a trainer that has plenty of tread left is also just as effective.