Kitten won't eat?

emeraldlion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone I really hope you can help.
This last weekend I picked a kitten up from our local clinic. I was told it was seven weeks old and for the first couple of days she did not move around much or act very kitten-ish. She was very lethargic and weak. Seeing as she was hardly eating I started forcing some condensed milk with a syringe to try and get her blood sugar raised and it seemed to work. She actually grew to where she would eat the little fancy feast patte food I was trying to feed her. Now she is strong, runs around and plays like a kitten. The problem I'm having now is she will not eat on her own. She comes to me and meows and cries as if she is hungry, but will not eat the food I put down, she'll sniff, and sometimes lick it once, but will not actually eat until I literally force some of the food into her mouth or push a small bit of the condensed milk. It doesn't seem to matter much what I force her, but I have to force at least one bite of food before she'll start eating. She isn't cleaning herself very well either. I've become a bit attatched so I hope you can help with my dillema.

Thanks,
Chris

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emeraldlion

Hello everyone I really hope you can help.
This last weekend I picked a kitten up from our local clinic. I was told it was seven weeks old and for the first couple of days she did not move around much or act very kitten-ish. She was very lethargic and weak. Seeing as she was hardly eating I started forcing some condensed milk with a syringe to try and get her blood sugar raised and it seemed to work. She actually grew to where she would eat the little fancy feast patte food I was trying to feed her. Now she is strong, runs around and plays like a kitten. The problem I'm having now is she will not eat on her own. She comes to me and meows and cries as if she is hungry, but will not eat the food I put down, she'll sniff, and sometimes lick it once, but will not actually eat until I literally force some of the food into her mouth or push a small bit of the condensed milk. It doesn't seem to matter much what I force her, but I have to force at least one bite of food before she'll start eating. She isn't cleaning herself very well either. I've become a bit attatched so I hope you can help with my dillema.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris...it sounds as if she was taken from her mom too early or perhaps she was abandoned. In any case, she is going to have to go through the weaning process again. Will it drink KMR out of a bowl??

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emeraldlion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She won't drink anything out of a bowl, not even water

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emeraldlion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know nothing about the weaning process so how would I go about this?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get the kitten to a vet for testing. At 7 weeks it should be feeding on its own, canned kitten food and dry as well. It is possible it is younger than that but it should be looked at by a vet of your choice.

www.kitten-rescue.com will help you as well

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I would get the kitten to a vet for testing. At 7 weeks it should be feeding on its own, canned kitten food and dry as well. It is possible it is younger than that but it should be looked at by a vet of your choice.

www.kitten-rescue.com will help you as well
I have to agree with Hissy..sounds as if she really does need to see a vet.

Katie