Help! Help! I need Help!

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need help!! I'm 13 and the working age is 14. I need a place to work or volunteer!!!

I babysit, and I would love to find babysitting jobs as well. (I love taking care of kids, its my favorite hobby--but I like the money too! lol) I was going to put up signs for people who need a babysitter. When school season starts, I'm going to put one up in a nearbye preschool and possibly a daycare. But my mom (and I) dont think its that safe to do that in places rather than that.

Any suggestions on where and how I can get a job (or volunteer ours for National Honor Society)?????

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I would suggest calling some local places. ALOT of times, like dog kennels, and humane society's are searching for volunteers to help out. That'd be great for you.
Otherwise, putting of signs for baby-sitting isnt that bad. I'd say at the library, or a small grocery store would be simple enough.
I know I always take the phone numbers just in case I'm ever in need of an emergency baby-sitter. I have yet to call any of them, and they would need to go through an extensive interview by me, and I'm afriad I'd scare them off.
BUT--It's worth a try. ALSO-do you live near a hospital? They are always searching for volunteers too.
AND do you live near any farms? They could always use some help too. They'd pay you good too. That's what my little brother does. He's got 3 different farm jobs, and can pretty much show up to help whenever he likes to. He's been doing it ever scince he was 13, and now he's 17, and makes enough money as if he was working a full-time job. Farmers always need some extra hands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah

Well I would suggest calling some local places. ALOT of times, like dog kennels, and humane society's are searching for volunteers to help out. That'd be great for you.
Otherwise, putting of signs for baby-sitting isnt that bad. I'd say at the library, or a small grocery store would be simple enough.
I know I always take the phone numbers just in case I'm ever in need of an emergency baby-sitter. I have yet to call any of them, and they would need to go through an extensive interview by me, and I'm afriad I'd scare them off.
BUT--It's worth a try. ALSO-do you live near a hospital? They are always searching for volunteers too.
AND do you live near any farms? They could always use some help too. They'd pay you good too. That's what my little brother does. He's got 3 different farm jobs, and can pretty much show up to help whenever he likes to. He's been doing it ever scince he was 13, and now he's 17, and makes enough money as if he was working a full-time job. Farmers always need some extra hands.
Actually, I have already called the Shelter where I got Willie(they are desperate for volunteers) and they want me to be 16--i dont understand..if they need volunteers, they should take them when they get the chance

I have also called the Leage ForAnimal Protection in the area--they dont want me either

I called the local Nursing Home, and the local Library.--No Luck

I'll keep trying...but theres no farms anywhere near by (unless 45 minutes counts)

Thanks

P.S. LoveMyBabies--thats what im always trying to do!!

Thanks so much

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
You could also do "odd jobs" for people in your neighborhood - rake leaves, do laundry, help with projects, etc.

For legal and insurance purposes most places will not be willing to have you there if you are under 16. Your best bet is do get odd jobs like that, as well as babysitting.

Good Luck, but also please try to remember that you are going to probably work in one way or another for the rest of your life, try to enjoy things a bit now.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about the odd job and babysitting thing.. there isn't many (if any, to be honest) places that will hire you at 13.. I got my first job at 15, and a lot of the places I applied for required that you be 16 (and I had to work with people at least 16 and older since I was 15). I'm 17 now, and some places require me to be at least 18. I'm not sure about the volunteering.. I volunteered when I was younger, but I went with older relatives, so my age didn't really matter. Anyways.. good luck.

russian_blue_kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do believe that it is tough to find a job at 13 (or a decent one). I'm 16 and remember when I was dying to find something to do to make some money and get involved. I suggest babysitting (as already mentioned, it's best through word, if you babysit for someone regularely mention that you'd like it if they told their friends). You could probably try to find a volunteer job around somewhere (I know there's lots around here); you'll be surprised at how many places take volunteers! A local pool, library, or hospital would probably be your best bets. My friend volunteered for a summer at a pool snack shack and enjoyed it very much.

Then again, you could always talk to your parents about getting an allowance for helping out around the house, doing simple tasks. That way you don't have a huge responsibilty of a job yet, and you still get to make some money.

Whatever you decide though, good luck!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes rec departments or summer camps like to have volunteer junior counselors. Or if you know anything about sports you could be a junior coach. If it's mostly about getting hours for National Honor Society. I seem to remember the nursing home in our town really wanted people to just come read to the residents there, or write letters for them. Maybe you could teach people at the nursing home how to use the Internet, LOL!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willie'sLove

Actually, I have already called the Shelter where I got Willie(they are desperate for volunteers) and they want me to be 16--i dont understand..if they need volunteers, they should take them when they get the chance
They usually say 16 and up.. because they think that they are more mature and will work better.
Which isn't really true. I have had 12 year old kids that work better, and are more dependant than adults.
Sometimes I gotta remind them that the cleaning comes first, then they can pet the cats.. but the cats are everywhere, so it can be hard to get a day done without picking up one and taking a small break.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no way you will find a job, unless your family suddenly buys it's own business, such as a farm

The hospital where I work has several middle schoolers who volunteer. They do most of their volunteering up on the Pediatric floor and various other odd jobs. They seem to love it, and the patients love it as well. I highly recommend contacting a local hospital and seeing if they take on middle school age kids.

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yay Yay!!!

I talked to my neighbor who works at a preschool and she is going to spread my name around.

And the best part is...I called the Kiddie Acadamy about 5 minutes away..and you have to be 18 to work there....
but (most likely)im gonna be abel to volunteer(she just has to talk to the manager) and I have to call back on Monday to see and then I have a fun thing to do with my bring life!!!!!!!!!!

And if I get to know the cuties there, maybe their parents will ask me to BABYSITT!!!!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ahh, i wish i was that young again!
I'm looking for a full time job that pays well! Thats even harder! I mean i'm 20 and some of the jobs here wont take me because they've had bad experience with young people!!!

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck finding a full time job, fwan. I wish I could give you advice, but I cant!!

What kind of jobs am I allowed to have? You mean that my parents allow? Anything. As long as its not too far away so they dont have to drive. My mom said that I could take the bus to this new place that might except me, but I still have to convince my dad.

Public transportation is...you know public transportation..a lot of "gangsta" or dirtbags. But i would only be traveling about 5 minutes, and its a very nice area, so it would be fine. I asume I could even ride my bik, although ill be riding on a very main road, and i will be crossing a very main road!!

Thanks for all the help, guys!! Only 2 days until I find out if I can volunteer at that place!! Wish me luck!!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you live, but when I was 13 (in the SF Bay Area- East Bay), I was a volunteer at a wild animal rescue. I prepped food and cleaned out cages and walked the ferrets (Freddie... sheesh, he loved to climb trees... the little brat). I was a volunteer there all through my 8th grade year. They wanted younger kids, under working age. It was good experience and a lot of fun (ferrets... woohoo!). i fed the resident raccoon among many others. I didn't go near the reptile room though. Especially when the cages were opening and closing for feedings and cleanings.

Check with the local park and recreation district. They may have volunteer openings for younger teens. Also, when you get to school, if there's a guidance office, ask them. They should be able to help. My feeling is that some programs and businesses won't take individual kids, but under a blanket program, city-wide or county-wide, they're more willing. Talk to a guidance counselor, if there's one at your school.

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!! Unfortunately, I don't have any zoos or parks nearby!! I live on Long Island, New York!

Thanks for the luck!!

Only 1 more day!

cat_man_dom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
why dont you try a paper round i had one but gave it up (had to work before 7 cant do it lol)
you can get a morning one
or if you are like me get one of the chronicals that you just do onces a week at like 5 ish

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Me? Get up at 5 oclock in the morning? I dont THINK so...

You can do it for me if you want...But I'll wake up a little later..thanks.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willie'sLove

Me? Get up at 5 oclock in the morning? I dont THINK so...

You can do it for me if you want...But I'll wake up a little later..thanks.

Well then there we go. There is one reason most places look for 16 or older. Waking up at 4:30 am..Is my responsibilty. So I do it. It's mandatory for me.

I think the paper route job is worth looking into. It's a great idea.
You CAN wake up at 5 am. It's possible. I never thought I'd be able to wake up as early as I do for my job, but I do. And I got used to it.