I need some help - cake designs

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As some of you know, Jasmines first birthday is fast approaching (where has the last year gone?
) and I want to make her a birthday cake.
There are a few problems with this though
1) I have no idea what too do,
2) I have never done anything like this before and
3) I need lots of help!

Now I dont necessarily need help in the cake itself but more the design of a cake (i need a picture too copy
)

So I thought I would bring it to you all. My original thought was a butterfly, or a number one... or even a plain shape with a good design on it but I just cant seem to find anything good too copy on the internet.

I dont really have time to order a tin or anything off the internet (yup leaving it until the last minute of course)

so any suggestions? Pictures would be helpful

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First - how big of a shindig are you throwing for her? That might help in deciding how big to go.

You might consider doing cupcakes. That way you can have lots of different designs and if Jasmine decides to do the "traditional" first birthday cake bashing on her face/hair/relative, the mess won't be too big.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you go to Google Image Search and type in "First Birthday Cake" or "1st Birthday Cake" it pops up some neat ideas. I'm partial to the ones shaped like a "1", which you could do without a pan by baking a large sheet cake and cutting it into the shape of a "1" before you ice it.

Are you looking for ideas for a little one for just her to make a mess with, a big one for everyone, or both?

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cakecentral.com has a gallery you can browse. There are subcategories so you could search for ideas that way!

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For my oldest daughter's first birthday, I made a cake shaped like a children's block. I'm not great at decorating, but it turned out OK and was easy to do without a tin. I have a recipe/instructions if you want them.

Here it is:

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

That Kraft cake site is awesome. I see some things on there that I want to try!
I love that website - You can sign up for free catalogs, they have awesome reciepes for everything!

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well either I'm lazy, or spend money like nothing..
But I always go to a bakery & have them make me one. For my daughter's first and second birthday she had beautiful cakes. They only need 24 hours notice.
You can even bring a picture of Jasmine, and they can make it edible to eat with screenprinting. It tastes like a sugar. They can put it anywhere on the cake..Whatever size. Plus, Alot of places have books with ideas, and certain ways to make it.
You can choose which frosting, cake type, the decor...etc.
That's what I do.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah

But I always go to a bakery & have them make me one. For my daughter's first and second birthday she had beautiful cakes. They only need 24 hours notice.
You can even bring a picture of Jasmine, and they can make it edible to eat with screenprinting. It tastes like a sugar. They can put it anywhere on the cake..Whatever size. Plus, Alot of places have books with ideas, and certain ways to make it.
That's what I do.
Yeah my sister is lucky and has a "cake lady". She's an older woman who is handicapped and makes cakes out of her home for income. She's awesome, and even made both cakes for my wedding (at a fraction of the cost of a real bakery). The monogram wasn't exactly what I wanted but I wasn't about to complain:

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once made a cake for a Birthday that turned out really beautful!!

I found it online while I was looking for simple cooking projects for a little girl I watch.

Then, when I needed to make a cake, I went back for it. I dont have the link, but basically what it was was this:

A plain cake (any shape) with a few cup cakes(3 or 4 ) scattered on top(I cut the bottom halfs off so they didn't pop up so much) and then ice the whole thing in a light color(I used white)

Then, (the fun part) decorate each cupcake to look like the head of a flower with different colored icings. Draw stems coming down off the flowers heading towards the bottom of the cake.

There you have a beautiful cake!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THANKYOU EVERYONE
There are some great ideas here and some good websites for me too look at. I knew you all would be able to help

Originally Posted by gemlady

First - how big of a shindig are you throwing for her? That might help in deciding how big to go.

You might consider doing cupcakes. That way you can have lots of different designs and if Jasmine decides to do the "traditional" first birthday cake bashing on her face/hair/relative, the mess won't be too big.
We are having about 30 adults and about 15 kids. It really wasnt meant to be such a large thing, but any excuse for a party huh?

I have thought of the cupcake idea as I have seen some great things done with them, but thought I might do that for a later birthday of hers
Originally Posted by emily_325

If you go to Google Image Search and type in "First Birthday Cake" or "1st Birthday Cake" it pops up some neat ideas. I'm partial to the ones shaped like a "1", which you could do without a pan by baking a large sheet cake and cutting it into the shape of a "1" before you ice it.

Are you looking for ideas for a little one for just her to make a mess with, a big one for everyone, or both?
gosh I have googled and googled and googled so much so that I my brain hurts

I think I am just thinking of one cake... gosh I dont know. Couldnt I just do one cake and then give her a piece to make a mess out of?

Originally Posted by SarahBeez

Cakecentral.com has a gallery you can browse. There are subcategories so you could search for ideas that way!
thankyou! Thats site does have some amazing ideas on it

Originally Posted by lookingglass

http://www.easycook.com/butterfly_cake.php

Here's a good butterfly cake recipe. It seems easy too.

If you need help with the baking part PM me. I'm always here to help with baking woe.
ooohhhh I might just have to take you up on the baking part but I was thinking of just doing a simple basic cake.

Originally Posted by AnnasMom

For my oldest daughter's first birthday, I made a cake shaped like a children's block. I'm not great at decorating, but it turned out OK and was easy to do without a tin. I have a recipe/instructions if you want them.

Here it is:
I think that looks GREAT!! That might be a great one too do!

Originally Posted by babyharley

Here is a website that has great themed cakes!

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/ff/Birt...emedCakes2.htm

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/ff/Birt...hemedCakes.htm

I hope you can find something useful for sweet Jasmine's birthday!
ohmy - thats a great site as well!! THANKYOU

Originally Posted by lilleah

That's what I do.
I have thought about going to the bakery but I really wanted to try and do this myself. Honestly thought, Chris might be sent off the morning of the party to hunt out a cake for me

Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Here's another butterfly for you

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=36274
I have seen that one and didnt like the decoration on it. I think a butterfly would be really nice... I guess I could just decorate it any way I wanted

Originally Posted by Willie'sLove

I once made a cake for a Birthday that turned out really beautful!!

I found it online while I was looking for simple cooking projects for a little girl I watch.

Then, when I needed to make a cake, I went back for it. I dont have the link, but basically what it was was this:

A plain cake (any shape) with a few cup cakes(3 or 4 ) scattered on top(I cut the bottom halfs off so they didn't pop up so much) and then ice the whole thing in a light color(I used white)

Then, (the fun part) decorate each cupcake to look like the head of a flower with different colored icings. Draw stems coming down off the flowers heading towards the bottom of the cake.

There you have a beautiful cake!!!
ohmy that does sound wonderful! thankyou.