I have a task for you guys!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My medical terminology final is tonight. I have been studying like crazy these past few days and out of 350 definitions, I have 5 that I am stuck on and can not for the life of me seem to memorize. I can usually come up with a little saying that helps me remember. For example, the root word 'Dipso' means thirsty. I remember that by thinking that I am a dipstick if I am not drinking water.

I thought you guys might be able to come up with a creative way to help me remember the remaining few terms. No one else here (at work) has been able to come up with anything!

1. Esthesio- sensation, sensitivity, feeling

2. Kypho- hump

3. Rachio- spine, vertebral canal

4. Spondylo- vertebra

5. Narco- numb

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well, the only thing i can think of is for #5, narco, and it's not very good.
Narco- narcotics- opiates are narcotics- opiates reduce pain, in other words make you numb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beccory

well, the only thing i can think of is for #5, narco, and it's not very good.
Narco- narcotics- opiates are narcotics- opiates reduce pain, in other words make you numb.
That one is good... I think that will work because I can follow your way of thinking it out

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

My medical terminology final is tonight. I have been studying like crazy these past few days and out of 350 definitions, I have 5 that I am stuck on and can not for the life of me seem to memorize. I can usually come up with a little saying that helps me remember. For example, the root word 'Dipso' means thirsty. I remember that by thinking that I am a dipstick if I am not drinking water.

I thought you guys might be able to come up with a creative way to help me remember the remaining few terms. No one else here (at work) has been able to come up with anything!

1. Esthesio- sensation, sensitivity, feeling

2. Kypho- hump

3. Rachio- spine, vertebral canal

4. Spondylo- vertebra

5. Narco- numb
How about this Eating Kayo syrup Raw Seems Nasty? I was always one for a phonemic device.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

How about this Eating Kayo syrup Raw Seems Nasty? I was always one for a phonemic device.
I don't have to remember them in order
Those are just the 5 definitions I have left that I need to learn. Thanks though!

Relating Kypho to Kamel is perfect! I kept trying to remember camel, but I just couldn't

Spondylo does remind me of spine.. but I leep mixing that one up with Rachio.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, and anesthesia... I didn't think about that! Perfect

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This might be a stretch but when I saw Rachio it made me think of a ratchet which makes little ratchety noises which made me think of cracking my "spine or vertabral canal"

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These are all great! I am going to go through all my terms again and see how well I do. I have them set up on an excel spreadsheet so I can hide the answer column and fill the answers into another column. That way I can see how well I do
It's easy to study this way while i am at work. If I am working in excel it looks like I am doing real work

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for Rachio can you think of a little Italian guy singing on his boat while taking people down the CANAL?

Its a little far fetched but it might work!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

for Rachio can you think of a little Italian guy singing on his boat while taking people down the CANAL?

Its a little far fetched but it might work!
His name has to be Rachio though... and he has to be wearing tight pants

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol Hey, in my experience, the stupider it is, the better you remember it! It probably would work!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whew! OK, I just quizzed myself all all 350 terms and abbreviations. I got them all except the abbreviation TPA which means tissue plasminogen activator. At this point, it I miss that one I will still be happy.

You guys helped me a ton! I had to crack up when I remembered Kamel for Kypho, but I remembered it was hump

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Now you will be testing and disturbing everyone cause you will be giggling away!
349 out of 350 aint bad at all!

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bet just typing them out on the site helped you immensely. I can almost guarantee you will not forget any of the five words being discussed here. Minds seem to work like that. It funny, all of the words seem really familiar to me from studying bones.

There is a condition called kyphosis and it simply means bent spine, humpback. Then there is my favorite anklyosing spondylitis-- inflammation that leads to fused vertebrae.

I guess when you are familiar with the condition, it is easier to recognize the root words describing them.

Good luck on your test.

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With the word Spondylo try to think of Spondylosis which is a deformity of two vertabrae. I had a cat and a dog with this problem. Good luck on your final!

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Luck!

I just took a medical terminology class myself, and had a hard time remembering a lot of prefixes...one was myo. Couldn't ever remember that is was 'muscle'...until my mom came in with a tube of myoflex for her shoulder.
When it finally -clicks- you know you got it down!