vacation to take him or not, your opinion

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 year old Fang has, or had FUS. WE are peeing appropriately now, but I feel like I have to watch, and I measure every clump. I have two other males that are litter box perfect. I will be away for a week and have a friend that will come in once a day to feed and scoop. I am debating whether to take fang or not, because if he should become blocked or start peeing around the house she won't know it, but he is a pain(crying and whining) in the car and I am afraid the stress of a three hour car ride and staying in a strange place(with me) might cause a flare up. So I guess the real question is which would cause him more stress, and the answer is I don't know. What are your thoughts?

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I can see your dilemma... I also think that perhaps the stress would cause a problem. Can you leave detailed information on what to look for with your cat sitter and a number you can be reached at? Thats a difficult call. I always tend to side with keeping the cat as stress free as possible.

evepie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Wow I can see your dilemma... I also think that perhaps the stress would cause a problem. Can you leave detailed information on what to look for with your cat sitter and a number you can be reached at? Thats a difficult call. I always tend to side with keeping the cat as stress free as possible.
i'll second that...
let the sitter know what to look for & give her a number just incase.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's tough. IMO I'd want someone that was aware of FUS and the problems. Perhaps the best thing would be to board him at your vets - that way if something happened, they could take care of it right away.

The vets still might be some stress, but they are equipped to handle medical problems - not your friend.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Wow, that's tough. IMO I'd want someone that was aware of FUS and the problems. Perhaps the best thing would be to board him at your vets - that way if something happened, they could take care of it right away.

The vets still might be some stress, but they are equipped to handle medical problems - not your friend.
Actually that got me thinking, why not phone the vet and ask if a tech is looking for a pet sitting job? True..this way would cost but I think it would be worth the peace of mind.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

Actually that got me thinking, why not phone the vet and ask if a tech is looking for a pet sitting job? True..this way would cost but I think it would be worth the peace of mind.
That's what I was thinking! It might not hurt to have a tech AND your friend check in on them while you're gone. I also always leave a medical authorization note just in case of emergency, and call my vet so she knows I'll be gone. (Yes, I'm a little OCD about it!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that is a good idea too. I have a friend who recommends their tech cat sitter, so I might have them both go over. Since money is a concern I thought maybe just have the tech come 3-4 times spread out thru the week and have my friend do the daily, or every other day, or ??? Money is a concern, so if I could save a few days. Not sure what to tell the tech to look for, but I do know which box Fang uses, so looking there would be first I guess. Hmmm, any ideas? You have been so helpful thus far,.thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks guys, friend is coming everyday and petsitter (a former vet tech) is coming in twice to give the acidifier pill and give fang a look, and feed. she can detect a blocked bladder and she has all the emergency info and will take him if necessary. All this for only 15 bucks a day. I am very much relieved now, and I would not have though of this without you. thanks again!

bronte73

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw it at our pet store. I can't remember what it is called but the litter will change color at the first signs of a urinary tract infection. That is what FUS is for your kitty right?
I'd give your friend your number and your vet's number and maybe ask for some meds to have on hand just in case??? I guess I am trying to think of a more economical way since you said money was an issue. I would think though that the travel would be extremely stressful. I know NONE of my cats have EVER enjoyed joy riding, that's for sure!!