Everyone has one....

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok I posted this same topic on another forum a long time ago and it was hilarious to see what bugs everyone!

So... what are your pet peeves? What drives you nuts? What don't you like?

I'll start-

I can't stand to touch terra cotta or certain stuffed animals that are too soft.

It makes me nuts when cashiers give you your paper money then the coins on top as change- it's supposed to be the other way around!!!

Generally I can stand gross stuff but other peoples boogers (even little kids') just make my stomach do a swan dive

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of casheirs, I can't stand when they shove your change at you and say thanks and then start ringing up the next person! I mean, EXCUSE ME!!! Can you hold on a second while I put my money or credit card back in my wallet so I don't lose it??????????????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oooooh yeah that's a good one! I always feel so awkward and rushed when they do that!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh, I could go on for hours ...

* people who clip their nails on the bus -- that's just gross!
* people hovering over me while I work (really, when I do anything)
* the feel of nylon against my skin -- gives me the shivers
* people who confuse eg and ie: eg means to give an example, ie means "in effect"; they are not the same thing
* it's "specifically," not "pacifically"
* okay, actually, I can't turn my inner editor off, so grammar and spelling frequently annoy me. My parents used to get water from a company called Artic Clear. The name was bad enough, but their slogan was "Who's water are you drinking!" Yes, with an exclamation point, not a question mark (never even mind the whose/who's confusion ... gah!).
* L33T speak. I just hate it. Thing like btw, :censor::censor::censor:, and lol don't bother me, but when people start substituting numbers for letters or saying things like "r0XX0r" or "PWNZ" I just want to bash my head against the monitor. Tragically, I do a lot of online gaming, so I see it a LOT.

Ummm, I may just be anal retentive.

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What's even worse is when they the dollars on top of the receipt and then the change on top! I hear you ladies, this is a huge pet peeve!

I can't stand the feel of terracotta either. It's like fingernails on a chalk board. The sound that it makes when a knife scrapes into a plate is the same.

I hate when people repeately cuss just for the heck of it. There is no point to say the 'f word' more than once in the same sentence, if even at all.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LunaLou

I can't stand the feel of terracotta either. It's like fingernails on a chalk board. The sound that it makes when a knife scrapes into a plate is the same.
Ugh! Just reading that gave me the heebie jeebies feeling!

I'm anal retentive when it comes to typing/writing- things that are supposed to be capitalized should be capitalized! Punctuation and proper spelling are a must!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one that gets right up my nose
is when people say

somethinK instead of somethinG

think is an activity you do in your brain

thing
is an item

and
is somethink a word, check out the dictionary nerds !!

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, it sounds trivial, really it does, I realize it myself....but people that wear t-shirts with graphics that obviously don't match the person.

Like the guy that wears the "Bad A** boys drive bad a** toys!" T-shirt with a huge Chevrolet emblem under it.....getting out of their toyota mini-van....

...or the "So and So Health Club" T-shirt on the slouching couch potato...

It doesn't drive me crazy...but it does make my hair stand up!!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stand people that say "Like" every second word. Eg. "It's not like, i um did anything like, bad or somthing like..."

Also it bothers me when people don't hold the door for the elderly. I was always taught that you look behind you and if someone is coming you hold the door for them.

My last peeve is this. When you have a green light and you are in the turning lane you are to proceed into the intersection with caution and wait for the oncoming traffic to clear. If the light turns yellow you are to proceed with your turn since you are in the intersection. What really gets me is the other 3 people behind you that also proceed with their turn. Its only the person in the intersection that is suposed to turn so that it clears the intersection!!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH constantly switches loaned and borrowed. For example "I borrowed Jon a CD." NO NO NO NO NO!!!! You LOANED Jon a CD. It drives me up the wall. In fact I feel that it may be grounds for a divorce.

I also hate it when people have a tag sticking out of their shirts. It drives me crazy.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good thread! I could write a book.

1. Corn starch. I absolutely hate the way it feels. It "squeaks" when you touch it. Gives me the heebie jeebies much like others said terra cotta does for them. Blech.

Just the other day hubby called me over to the TV show he was watching and said, "Sweety, I thought this was the job for you but now I know its definitely not". It was a gummy worm factory. They use corn starch molds to make the candies. EWWWW!

2. My other major pet peeve is personal space. I like for people, mainly strangers, to stay a certain distance from me. We all have a personal bubble, and while I realize it is different for different cultures, mine is around 2 feet. People here in LA are always too close! For instance, when you stand in line at a place like the bank, don't stand so close that you often accidentally touch the person in front of you!

I'm sure I'll think of more as this thread continues.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

* it's "specifically," not "pacifically"
My husband does this!!! Drives me crazy! I always attributed it to his mother having a very strong accent and not always pronouncing things completely correct because I've never heard anyone else do this. I've started correcting him every time he says it because it sounds silly and very unbusiness-like if he ever wants to be a manager. I think hes catching on because the other day I heard him say it correctly..

For me:
*The sound of chewing (sometimes even myself if I am alone) crunch crunch crunch.... The sound of my mother chewing intensifies this peeve.

For my husband:
*The improper use of punctuation and spelling (I'm horrible with this)
*My laid back approach to germs

For us both:
*The use of heavy internet slang on boards. Plz instead of Please, 2 instead of "to" (one character more makes it that much more readable).
*The word penalized pronounced PEENalized.

Edit: I thought of another - When we order food and I am really hungry, if someone else gets the food (like husband or friend) what is it that makes people see how hungry I am and tries to delay giving it to me or holding it back or something?? Talk about pet peeve, this can make me really pissed. Nobody should mess with you when you are really hungry, though I think part of the reason is its usually a small sugar low I am feeling and heaven forbid anyone gets in the way of food when you feel like that!!! Errrrrr!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

If the light turns yellow you are to proceed with your turn since you are in the intersection.
I always thought this too but a couple years ago I saw this become a pretty bad accident that luckily had no major injuries. The person made the turn at the yellow light but someone gunned the yellow, causing the turning car to do a 180 and the gunner to veer into me (waiting at the red). The thing is the person turning took the blame and accepted the insurance responsibility when I did not think it was there fault! Since then I wait at the line if I'm turning left so I'm never caught in the middle of the intersection but I wrote on the police report I thought the guy gunned the yellow and was at fault.

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate the way my hands feel after I wash them. I have to put lotion on them evertime I wash them.
I hate the feel of velvet it makes me cringe.

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm really picky about spelling, and sometimes grammar. I also hate what I call "AIMspeak" which is like L33T but more annoying- things like "u" instead of "you" and "neway" instead of anyway. It doesn't take that much more effort to type the whole word, it DOESN'T make you look cute, and it ends up irritating a lot of people. Including me. Like an above poster, I play a lot of online games, so I run into it a lot.

I also hate how my boyfriend uses half the toilet paper roll to wipe. TMI, yes, but you asked. I swear, he yanks at least 5 feet of paper off, folds it neatly into an inch-thick pile, and then uses it. Why? So wasteful!

I also hate messy cooks in my kitchen. Or really, anyone but me in my kitchen. I am a very neat cook- I put things away when I'm done with them, I wipe up right away when I spill, as soon as I'm done with a bowl or spatula I wash it- so I can't stand it when people leave dirty dishes and spills all over. This sucks because I hate washing dishes, but I can't walk through a dirty kitchen without doing all the dishes and wiping the counters.

I have a lot of pet peeves, actually, now that I think about it... leaving my books laying around, pillow drool (which I actually do, and therefore I REALLY hate it), and a big one, misspelling people's names. My BF's name is Cory. I can kind of, maybe, a TINY bit, understand people spelling it Corey IF they've only heard it and not seen it written, but otherwise, it's horribly disrespectful! And mine- Rebecca- the most common spelling, but people always write Rebeca or Rebecka or Rebbeca or Rebekha. GRRRR!

scuffy&samantha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My pet peeve? Germs, I don't like garbage, public restroom, everything that has to do with germs.

I don't like the sound of spoon and fork or knife, makes my teeth hurts (when you rub the spoon and knife together). Specially when it touches my tooth, makes me crazy.

I don't like the dishes, I mean I don't mind washing them I just don't like to see a sink full of dishes.

I don't like eating tortillas, everything that has a tortilla on it.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

*The word penalized pronounced PEENalized.
Just curious if there is a reason why this bugs you so much? It is a valid pronunciation of the word...

Things that bug me:

-People who don't say "goodbye" (or some other word with the same meaning) before they hang up the phone.

-My cat when she sticks her whiskers in my face! I call it "Kitty Whisker Torture." She has the ability to curve her whiskers far forward and she leaves them like that most of the time. She will sit on your upper chest so that her long prickly whiskers are tickling your face, and since she is sitting on you, you can't get away! Her whiskers are so long that even turning your head won't save you.

-People who bump into you and don't apologize.

-People who walk with their friends side-by-side down a narrow hallway, slowly. I am a fast walker and I get really impatient when people are blocking the whole hallway and I can't get through.
I also have feel the same with big crowds, I get very annoyed/frustrated by having to move slowly through a big crowd if I'm trying to get somewhere.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beccory

I also hate how my boyfriend uses half the toilet paper roll to wipe. TMI, yes, but you asked. I swear, he yanks at least 5 feet of paper off, folds it neatly into an inch-thick pile, and then uses it. Why? So wasteful!

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stand women who intentially gossip on their cell phones so loud that their intended targets actually hear them. You can't really confront those people because they would claim you were eavedropping on them and you are a controlling freak.