Feline Amputation

ezail333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I found this site on yahoo. My 11 year old cat, Toulousse, broke his lower leg in June.It was a mystery how he broke it though. The vet put a cast on his leg and yesterday was his day to be x-rayed and I thought his cast would be removed. BAD NEWS!! Toulousse has bone cancer! They took a chest x-ray to determine if the cancer was in his lungs and it is not. But, his leg does need to be amputated. I am trying to prepare myself for this so that I can help him recover. Anyone have some info. to share with me? Thanks so much. Lisa.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell you much except that cats can get by with three legs quite well. I hope that your dear friend recovers quickly.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

While I don't have experience with this, I know there are people on the board who have been through this with their cats, for a variety of causes. I'm sure one of them will be along.

In the meantime, you might try using the search feature to see who has experience with amputations. Then you'll be able to read the threads they've posted on about this topic previously, and once you know their screenname, you can send them a private message.

Good luck!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't worry. My vet has a saying, Cat's are born with an extra leg! Cats with amputated limbs get along fine. The day after the surgery they are jumping around just like normal. It is amazing. I hope they find the cancer has not spread.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
H, Lisa and Toulousse, welcome to TCS!
I'm so sorry you're going through this and hope some of our members who have experienced this with their own kitties are able to bring you some comfort and assistance. Thank you for coming to us at this very difficult time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ezail333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and thanks for your responses. I have been reading about how well cats adapt to their 3-legged-ness. Toulousse will go in to surgery this Monday the 28th. I am hopeful that this is an isolated cancer. His blood work was fine and we know his chest x-ray is also fine. Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. Lisa & Toulousse.

evepie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EZAIL333

Hi and thanks for your responses. I have been reading about how well cats adapt to their 3-legged-ness. Toulousse will go in to surgery this Monday the 28th. I am hopeful that this is an isolated cancer. His blood work was fine and we know his chest x-ray is also fine. Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. Lisa & Toulousse.
sending lots of good }}}vibes{{{ for you both

it is definately true about cats being born with an extra leg

i'll have you both in my thoughts on monday

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EZAIL333

Welcome to TCS, there are several people here who have kitties with three legs, and I believe that you will find a lot of support. I'm sending vibes and love your way, and I hope everything goes well.

ezail333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi to everyone and thank-you for all your kind words & loving thoughts & vibes! Toulousse is resting comfortably and unknowingly awaiting his surgery. We will keep you posted! Lisa & Toulousse.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for this update.
Toulousse, you are in my prayers for an uneventful procedure and prompt recovery. We're so glad to be here with you, Lisa, during and after your little boy's surgery.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi

So sorry to hear your little babe has bone cancer. My Pebbles had her back leg amputated in May, the vet wasn't happy about doing it at her age, but it was the only option we had, and she has coped really well, and been a lot happier without it. There should be a few threads on here, along with some pics. There are also 2 other members with three legged cats who have posted stories and pics, one is jcribb, and I can't remember the other person. Good luck, and I do hope everything goes well.

ezail333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. My baby boy is coming home today. He had his rear leg amputated yesterday. The vet said he is doing fine and I should be able to pick him up today. He will come home with an e-collar so he doesn't mess with the staples on his incision. Any clues on this e-collar? I've never had an animal that needed one and I am not sure what I am in for. Thanks again to all for your kind words and thoughts. Lisa and Toulousse.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lisa, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. My cat Bella had her leg amputated on June 30th due to bone cancer, within a week she was back to her old self. There is a lot more to this story but I will not go into now, but as far as the amputation no problems !

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Toulousse, you're such a brave little boy! We're so proud of you! You handled this procedure wonderfully, and I know you're going to have a prompt, full recovery!

Thank you so much for keeping us updated! Every time I check in, I look forward to knowing more about how precious little Toulousse is feeling. I'm looking forward to knowing how your first full day home has been, little love. Special snuggles to you, sweet heart and big hugs to your Mommy for taking such wonderful care of you!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad he is going to be fine. He will object to the e-collar, but personally I Would keep it on till his stitches are out as if he damages his stitches, it wont be pleasant. I always take it off them to eat, and then they get some time out in the evening, both supervised, and the collar put back on at the sign of too much messing with them - pebbles did manage to break a stitch, but fortunately it stayed put.

ezail333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi to all. As I write this Toulousse is laying next to me on the floor, purring. He came home yesterday mid-day and has been my shadow most of the time since then!!! I have given him extra extra TLC and he seems to be doing well. Giving meds is always problematic, but this Mommy is determined. Thanks for the info about the e-collar; I think he does need it on when I am not around. He has about 35 staples on his incision and I don't want to see him pull out one! He will go to the vet next Friday to get the staples removed. Well, time for meds, wish me luck! Lisa & Toulousse.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is great news, Lisa! With his loving Mommy's care, Toulousse is going to heal perfectly, and this will be just a distant memory. Soon, it will seem that every cat should have three legs! What does everyone else need that extra leg for, anyway?

Touolousse, you're such a beautiful love, and my girlies and I are so proud of you!

ezail333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to all! Well, Toulousse had his staples removed yesterday and he is doing great. In case anyone reads this for info: I asked my vet some questions yesterday, one of which was "How often have you seen this bone cancer in cats and how well do they do? He said in 20 years of practice he has only had 2 cats with bone cancer. I had no idea how rare this is! Of course prognosis varies with individual cases, but I will be monitoring Toulousse's health for any signs of problems. Thanks to all. Lisa & Toulousse.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lisa, so happy to hear Toulousse is doing well. I know you are giving him extra loving but give him some more from me.
An a hug to you for being such a good meowmy.