normal cat eating w/d

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After another round of explosive stuff from Teddy - through both ends and his nose - we have returned home with Science Diet w/d to try. Teddy loves it - and so does PJ.

My question: PJ is a normal, healthy (except for hyperT) 12-13 year old. Is it okay for her to eat this food? She can't seem to get enough of it either! She does get other dry food (Wellness + Royal Canin Hairball), but I think she's going to feed from Teddy's (he free feeds; hopefully he will put back some of the weight he's lost).

If w/d can do something bad to a normal cat, I'll go to meals for Teddy, but he really likes snacking throughout the day.

Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to call the vet on this one as I know some of the Rx diets will harm a not sick kitty

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both my male cats have had urinary issues. Speedboat ate R/D to get weight off him. He always has had trouble with crystals. Then the vet put him on W/D which is a weight maintenance special diet food. It still helps with the urinary issues. Since he has lost the weight, about 6 lbs., and eats the W/D he has had no more problems. Muffin has been blocked three times. The dr. wanted him to eat S/D, but he would not eat it, so he is on W/D too.
Both my cats get along great with it, but they eat a controlled amount set by the vet depending on their weight. At present they each get 1/3 cup two times per day. You need to ask your vet to be specific in what he has prescribed and ask if they need a certain amount per feeding. My cats do not get free fed all day long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just spoke with the vet, who said that it's fine for my normal cat to eat w/d - especially because she eats other food (both dry and wet) - which is good news! My free feeding is measured amounts (i.e. the amount that goes in the bowl is the amount for the day), and PJ gets her own supplemental food at particular times - so it seems to work out well for my guys.

Hopefully, the w/d will work for Teddy... !

(edit: PJ's poop STINKS on this food! I'm not going to let her eat it if I can help it. She never stinks... but wow....

xxpunkkittenxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I work for a vet, and from what i understand, w/d is for wieght loss in a cat. It probably will not make your cat sick, as we are feeding it to some normal cats. One cat has been on it for about 2 weeks now and is normal weight, so since nothingg has happened to her, and she has been healthy with normal stool and everything, i would sa that it is fine.
i would just moniter their w/d intake, or mix it with a hard food if possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xXPunkKittenXx

I work for a vet, and from what i understand, w/d is for wieght loss in a cat. It probably will not make your cat sick, as we are feeding it to some normal cats. One cat has been on it for about 2 weeks now and is normal weight, so since nothingg has happened to her, and she has been healthy with normal stool and everything, i would sa that it is fine.
i would just moniter their w/d intake, or mix it with a hard food if possible.
It's weird - it seems like w/d is used for a lot of different things. PJ eats non-w/d wet food, and treats, but right now, she's refusing to eat any dry except the w/d. Weird cat. Neither of my cats needs to lose weight, and my vet is not worried. Apparently, w/d can help with diarrhea, like Teddy is having (though it hasn't done anything yet - I usually need to give him 2 weeks to see a change).

On a side note, PJ had weird stinky stoo; for a day, and that was pretty much it. It's like her body immediately adjusted, and her stool is back to normal - still a little smelly, but manageable. Hopefully, I can get her to eat less of the w/d over time...

xxpunkkittenxx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, cats have that way about them. We had this one boarding cat at the facility about 4 days ago who is on Tapazole tablets for hypothyroid, and we would put her pills in a small amount of m/d (used for diabetic cats), when she went home, the owner called back and said that she was not atting her usual foods. She came back yesterday, and she would not eat the hard food we provided to her.
We gave her her pill in m/d again (she is an older cat with medical issues so w/d would not be too good for her) and she ate it all up! that solved the problem.

Those hills foods are pretty good. But iguess they have to be so that the cat will eat it on a regular basis if needed.