Neighbor Rant....

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so the other day when I was getting ready to leave my neighbor came up to my husband saying that Tiger had been walking on thier car and leaving paw prints at night. Well I went over there and told him there was NO way it was my cat because he's not allowed out at night... He insisted it was.. Well rather then arguing I just walked away.
Then today I had just got home from work and DH was mowing the lawn. I came in took my shoes off and was about to start dinner when I heard DH turn the lawnmower off and start talking to someone. Well I walked outside and seen it was that same neighbor. I leaned up against the fence and asked what was going on. The neighbor turned to me and started ranting about Tiger again. I couldnt hold it back anymore.... I went OFF...
Especially after yesterday my 8½yr old stepped in dog poop in my driveway from thier dog... and this wasn't the first time... I told him flat out "Why don't you keep your dog from
in my driveway!!!!! there ARE leash laws in florida and I don't appreciated my sons $50 pair of shoes getting ruined and it being tracked in my truck, house, and his school!" It went back and forth for about 15 minutes and it ended with him saying if ANY of my animals are seen outside the fence he would kill them...I told him "well, since your dog is a biter and you told me from the day we moved in she bites and to keep the the kids away if she bites my kids, I WILL call animal control and I won't let one of my kids suffer because of it" (I know, that was mean but I was very ANGRY)....and I told him to get the "you know what" out of my yard". I called my lanlords who we're buying from and let them know... The neighbors claim they are best friends with them but I found out they're not... they despise them and told us they would deal with it and if anything happens THEY will be on OUR side. There was so much more said but its too long to post here and too vulgar

The neighbors across the street are upset also because they have inside/outside cats also and don't want anything happening to them.
Dh had to walk away from hitting the guy... He's still upset.
He wants SO bad to say something but I know it will result in a fight and someone going to jail..

So now I have to watch my kids and animals about going outside unsupervised.
This is going to be hard to do seeing Tiger has been and inside/outside kitty and so has Reilly....
What retaliation do I have if they do something to the cats and dog? I mean unless I place a camera up and watch them 24 hours how will I know that they did it?
Ok I'm off my soapbox now

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good.. I would advise your other neighbors with cats to make sure to keep their cats on their own property, then call Animal Control to file a complaint that your neighbor allows their dog to roam. They will probably get a warning, and next time fined.
Normally I would think it best to try and discuss it with the neighbor, but I don't you guys are going to have a civil conversation. It would be best to let the authorities handle it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Good.. I would advise your other neighbors with cats to make sure to keep their cats on their own property, then call Animal Control to file a complaint that your neighbor allows their dog to roam. They will probably get a warning, and next time fined.
Normally I would think it best to try and discuss it with the neighbor, but I don't you guys are going to have a civil conversation. It would be best to let the authorities handle it.
Thats what I'm going to do. I don't want anything happen to thier dog but I won't put up with it's biting and pooping all over

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the dog hasn't actually bit anyone you can't file a complaint about that... I mean, you said they just told you it was a biter. You could complain about the roaming though.

Maybe you could TRY and be the voice of reason here and write them a polite letter stating your concerns/ frustrations about their dog roaming and ask them nicely to keep him on a leash or confined to their yard. Since they are your neighbors, it seems like the right thing to do.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either move and buy a house elsewhere, do you really want to be next to these people for decades, or get the camera. You can search on line and get one inexpensive. No that it matters, but I do not think cats should vbe allowed outside, ever.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

Either move and buy a house elsewhere, do you really want to be next to these people for decades, or get the camera. You can search on line and get one inexpensive. No that it matters, but I do not think cats should vbe allowed outside, ever.
Well there are many of us on this site who have inside/outside cats. That's not the point here... The point is this man has threatened to do them and the dog harm... I JUST started to buy this house a few months ago... The difference between them and me is I am buying this house, they are strictly renting and have been a problem to the neighborhood for sometime now

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Well there are many of us on this site who have inside/outside cats. That's not the point here... The point is this man has threatened to do them and the dog harm... I JUST started to buy this house a few months ago... The difference between them and me is I am buying this house, they are strictly renting and have been a problem to the neighborhood for sometime now
I understand that he threatened them, but you aren't completely innocent.... Things were heated and you both said things that you shouldn't have. The fact that you are buying and they are renting really doesn't have anything to do with the dispute between the animals.

I think the point being made was that you cannot ensure your cats safety if you allow them to go outside. If I had a neighbor threaten my animals, they would not be outside... period. You can't control the actions of your neighbors, but you are in control of yours. You have a responsibility to keep your animals safe. Putting up a camera would allow you to catch the neighbor after the fact, but it is worth risking your cats safety?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I understand that he threatened them, but you aren't completely innocent.... Things were heated and you both said things that you shouldn't have. The fact that you are buying and they are renting really doesn't have anything to do with the dispute between the animals.

I think the point being made was that you cannot ensure your cats safety if you allow them to go outside. If I had a neighbor threaten my animals, they would not be outside... period. You can't control the actions of your neighbors, but you are in control of yours. You have a responsibility to keep your animals safe. Putting up a camera would allow you to catch the neighbor after the fact, but it is worth risking your cats safety?
No, I think you all misunderstood...I am NOT allowing them outside w/o supervision... Never have... and now, I don't let them out at all.... What worries me is what if they do something to someone else's animal? Or to Jake when he's in the yard?
And yes, this dog has attempted to bite me, and Dh through the fence. They let her roam because they don't have a fence. The neighbor will let her out and shut thier front door. The dog will come across her yard and my driveway, sniff Jake, growl, turn around, squat, pee and poop on the driveway and walk away.
I had tried petting her once and giving her a treat thinking that maybe if she got to know us she wouldn't be so tempted to bite but she snarled and charged at the fence... thank god I was on the other side of it!

Anytime I see them let her out, I make sure the kids are in the yard!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

No, I think you all misunderstood...I am NOT allowing them outside w/o supervision... Never have... and now, I don't let them out at all.... What worries me is what if they do something to someone else's animal? Or to Jake when he's in the yard?
And yes, this dog has attempted to bite me, and Dh through the fence. They let her roam because they don't have a fence. The neighbor will let her out and shut thier front door. The dog will come across her yard and my driveway, sniff Jake, growl, turn around, squat, pee and poop on the driveway and walk away.
I had tried petting her once and giving her a treat thinking that maybe if she got to know us she wouldn't be so tempted to bite but she snarled and charged at the fence... thank god I was on the other side of it!

Anytime I see them let her out, I make sure the kids are in the yard!
OK, I did misunderstand... I thought you were going to keep letting the kitties outside and were trying to find a camera to catch the guy if he tried anything. I really think at this point you are best to deal with the authorities on it. Call Animal Control when you see the dog roaming... if he tries to bite anyone call them as well. I don't think they will take the dog away permanently without warning and fining the owners first. As far as the biting, if that continues then Animal Control can label the dog as viscious and there are steps that have to be taken by the owners if that were to occur. I would most definately make the other neighbors, who allow their cats outside, aware of the situation. That is really all you can do as far as their pets go...

Good luck!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a neighbor like that!!!! Except living out in "the country" his house is a good 800 ft away!! But he took the law into his own hands and while I proved in court he shot one for sure I now many other "disapperances" were do to him. Luckily being self employed my hours/day worked are not regular so I keep him on his toes plus if he does this again...its felony time for him!!!
The man has been a thorn in many people's side on other issues too-so I feel for you!!
Good luck in dealing with him-call your local animal shelter/animal control to find out your rights as a pet owner in case he injures one of your pets.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with everything.
And remember- you will accomplish a lot more staying calm and collected during an argument- than you will loosing your cool

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help everyone...
I just got home from dropping the kids off. When I pulled up my neighbor was outside w/his dog....WITHOUT a leash!... (I have kept Tiger and Reilly in since yesterday)... I got out of the truck and was walking up to the gate when she started to bark and snarl at me while walking towards me... He called her back and she stopped.... I don't want to be nit-picky or cause trouble but I am compromising here... they aren't... What should I do?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The neighbor was outside with the dog and called her back.. there wasn't a situation, so I would do nothing at this point. It would have been different if the dog wasn't being supervised, there would have been no one to call her back.

If this dog is usually outside unsupervised and off a leash you could always call and talk to AC about it. Explain that the dog isn't very friendly and tell them you just wanted to make them aware of the situation. They might be willing to talk to your neighbor and reiterate the leash law without issuing any warnings or anything. They won't tell your neighbor who called, but they will probably assume... you will have to be extra attentive to your dog and cats when they are outside.

It seems silly that your neighbors won't try and compromise with you because it seems like it would add so much tension and stress not to get along. Do you think that things have cooled off enough to discuss it with them today after last night? It just seems like that would be so much easier than having to continue to deal with it..

deelynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have this problem with my neighbor
she has two big dogs think she puts them in backyard
but as soon as she is gone OUT THEY GO
and roamin in everyones yard!!! i have told her this
they still get out
next time Im just callin police
my 6yrold loves to be outside i dont want them near her
she screams at dogs affraid of them

good luck to you I know I would HAVE went off on your neighbor!
we have leash law here dogs are suppose to be in fenced yard
or on leash!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The neighbor was outside with the dog and called her back.. there wasn't a situation, so I would do nothing at this point. It would have been different if the dog wasn't being supervised, there would have been no one to call her back.

If this dog is usually outside unsupervised and off a leash you could always call and talk to AC about it. Explain that the dog isn't very friendly and tell them you just wanted to make them aware of the situation. They might be willing to talk to your neighbor and reiterate the leash law without issuing any warnings or anything. They won't tell your neighbor who called, but they will probably assume... you will have to be extra attentive to your dog and cats when they are outside.

It seems silly that your neighbors won't try and compromise with you because it seems like it would add so much tension and stress not to get along. Do you think that things have cooled off enough to discuss it with them today after last night? It just seems like that would be so much easier than having to continue to deal with it..
I don't think so. They are pretty difficult to deal with.. Always have been.
They get upset if the kids are in the yard playing and making noise, they said the muffler on my truck was too loud (it's supposed to be... that's why I paid to make it louder) that we don't mow our lawn enough (once a week isn't enough?) and on and on.. they only talk to us when they want to complain.
One time I was outside playing tug of war with Jake and she came up to me saying "you're making that dog mean on purpose. He's gonna bite your kids and when he does I'm gonna laugh" I was like WTH? I didn't say anything and just walked away but I wanted SO badly to say "Oh really? Is that why your dog's so mean?"

Forgot to add... the dog pooped in my driveway again this morning

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Document, document! Advice from a forum I lurk on.

Write down/photograph your complaints and note day and time. It might help in the future.