Let's hope this guys is wrong!!!

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try & stay away from the news. It's never good..
Although that there article is nice, because it lets people know to be prepared, instead of just saying "hey it's gonna be a big one" You know?
I sure would have my house all blocked up at all times hurricane season, and I'd have everything ready for the evacuation. But that's me..I'm a scardy cat..But scince I live in Wisconsin, I dont have to worry about all that.
But I sure am prepared for tornadoes.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the article they mention that they are suprised that 60% of Floridians do not have a hurricane plan. I am not suprised by that at all. We all think it isn't going to hit us directly OR we have the mindset that the last one wasn't THAT bad...

Also, I don't think he really can be proven "wrong" in this article. He says it may be in the next few years, or hundreds of years. That's a very broad statement...

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A direct hit on the vulnerable Galveston-Houston area, the fragile Florida Keys or heavily populated Miami-Fort Lauderdale.
Back in 1992 Hurricane Andrew a Category 5 was supposed to hit Miami, but it made landfall a little to the south and hit Homestead and Florida City. We were lucky because Andrew did so much damage.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I was in university, we looked at environmental management and how weather changes would affect major populations. I'm quite surprised North America hasn't had devastating storms like Katrina on a regular basis. It is a matter of 'when' not 'if'.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up in FL, you always knew that you could just be one storm away from losing everything. If you dwell on it and dread it 24/7, you'll just be miserable. Just pay attention to the news, be prepared with supplies, and evacuate if you have to, and that's all you can do.
The house I grew up in all but blew away last summer (my parents had already sold it and moved) and it's sad, but it's just a part of life in FL.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by OllyExtra05

Growing up in FL, you always knew that you could just be one storm away from losing everything. If you dwell on it and dread it 24/7, you'll just be miserable. Just pay attention to the news, be prepared with supplies, and evacuate if you have to, and that's all you can do.
The house I grew up in all but blew away last summer (my parents had already sold it and moved) and it's sad, but it's just a part of life in FL.
I grew up here and agree with this
The most important thing is to stay informed. There is a storm forming out there right now, actually. It isn't a threat to land down here, but the point is that you just have to be aware of what is going on