Cat Shows

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How many people here show there kitties? Does anyone show in the Household Pet category? Do they get many people that show household pets? I was thinking of trying it one time just to see what it is all about. I would also love to see all of the exotic breeds they have at these shows.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started showing HHP's with my first cat, Mitten. After about 4-5 yrs of showing HHP's, I got my first purebred (Russian Blue) and after that got Cornish Rexes to show.

I retired from shows about 8 yrs ago (late 90's) but am putting our little HHP, Ling Ling in an upcoming show in September. Not sure if she will take to shows or not.

I know I won't be showing as much as I did in the past - maybe a few local shows a year.

IMO HHP's are the most fun, if your cat likes it. I love to tell their "story" and hear about others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know, it really sounds like a lot of fun from what I've heard. I thought I may try showing Ginger when she gets old enough because she has such beautiful patches and a pretty little face.
I too will probably do just a local show when/if one comes around. I'm sure I am bound to get hooked though especially if she does well!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been showing my somali since Feb. of this year. I am also getting another somali kitten next year to show.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TiffanyL

I know, it really sounds like a lot of fun from what I've heard. I thought I may try showing Ginger when she gets old enough because she has such beautiful patches and a pretty little face.
I too will probably do just a local show when/if one comes around. I'm sure I am bound to get hooked though especially if she does well!
There is an annual TICA cat show in Columbia and one in North Augusta. We always attend these shows and they are nice. The Columbia show was last weekend, the N. Augusta show is in three weeks.
Visit: http://www.tica.org and click on the show calendar link to find shows close to you.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In HHP's (and purebreds) you can show kittens as young as 4 months old (on day of show). After 8 months old, they have to be neutered/spayed to be shown in the HHP classes. And they can't be declawed for CFA shows. TICA and ACFA allows declawed cats, but neither association promotes declawing.

Out of your cats, choose the one that is most laid back and likes people. One that is not really scared of noise. Cat shows are quite noisy at times
I'd attend a few and watch before you put them in the show - you can get tips/hints as to how to set up the cages, etc.

Also you need to condition your cats to be bathed. They have to be totally clean and groomed well if you want to win ribbons

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

In HHP's (and purebreds) you can show kittens as young as 4 months old (on day of show). After 8 months old, they have to be neutered/spayed to be shown in the HHP classes. And they can't be declawed for CFA shows. TICA and ACFA allows declawed cats, but neither association promotes declawing.

Out of your cats, choose the one that is most laid back and likes people. One that is not really scared of noise. Cat shows are quite noisy at times
I'd attend a few and watch before you put them in the show - you can get tips/hints as to how to set up the cages, etc.

Also you need to condition your cats to be bathed. They have to be totally clean and groomed well if you want to win ribbons
Thank you so much for the advice!!

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

There is an annual TICA cat show in Columbia and one in North Augusta. We always attend these shows and they are nice. The Columbia show was last weekend, the N. Augusta show is in three weeks.
Visit: http://www.tica.org and click on the show calendar link to find shows close to you.
Thanks for the info! I went to the CFA website and noticed that there is one in Simpsonvile in early Sept. It will be too soon to put my kitties in it, but I think I will go and see what it is all about. That's really close to me. How much does it usually cost for spectators?

rosie0708

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello...depending on the association, tickets for spectators are usually between $6-$8.

I'm not a breeder, but I've showed my 2 Munchkins and it can be a lot of fun. Your furbaby might react kinda hissy at first, but if you decide to keep showing, Ginger might get more used to it. Good luck and let us know when you decide to enter your first show!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spectators are usually $5-8 dollars - some clubs give discount to children/seniors.

The price of an entry depends on the # of rings - I'm paying $30 for Ling because she is only getting judged in 4 rings while the championship cats have 5 rings (at $40 per cat).

ACFA and TICA are usually running $40-50 for a 6-8 ring show. In CFA you have to show all the rings (even if its a 2 day show) - its split with half the rings on Saturday and half on Sunday. With ACFA or TICA you can choose to show on Sat or Sun or both days - price is determined by a one or two day show entry. Its cheaper to do both days instead of just one; however, if its your first time, you might just do a one day only to see how kitty likes it. If they don't like it and you are scheduled for 2 days, your cat will have a miserable time, you will too and if you choose not to show the 2nd day, you lose your entry money for that day - no refunds

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to enter my cat in a "household pet" cat show last March but I was afraid they'd take points off because she's overweight!
She weighs less than when we adopted her but she's still overweight... I might enter her in the show next year but I'm still worried about the weight thing, I don't want people to think I made her that way!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I show my showable Abys and I now have the perfect kitten (soon to be cat) for HHP. A seal point chocolate smoke semi longhair with the most awesomely (is there such a word?) kinked tail!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A seal point chocolate smoke???? I'd like to see a picture of him/her!

Of course, Ling was a blue tabby with seal points when she was 2-3 months old - now she's black/white.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

A seal point chocolate smoke???? I'd like to see a picture of him/her!

Of course, Ling was a blue tabby with seal points when she was 2-3 months old - now she's black/white.
I'll try!!! Will take the pic tommorrow and post it (I hope!)..I'm not the best photographer in the world! He has a white undercoat - maybe not a seal point but he's definately pointed!
I'll try to post a pic of his sib too - she doesn't have a white undercoat...

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of mine is especially suited to the HHP category- Loomis. Noise and confusion do not phase him- you could set off a bomb right next to him and he would just sit there. He travels well- doesn't get stressed by cars or carriers. He loves to meet new people, he's extremely animated and loves to show off his teaser skills but won't take off on you.
I would never do it as I enjoy the shows much more when unencumbered by an animal, but I do think it takes a certain temperamented cat to do well.

I think you just need to realistically assess your cat, and only do it if he will enjoy it more than you do

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Introducing the ultimate HHP contender! MOCHA!!!

And his sister, Milo!!!

I hope this works!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry! I didn't realise the pics would be soooo big!

Any ideas on how to groom the tail???

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aby, I would consider him a seal point - not smoke as far as I can tell - smoke would have a white undercoat next to the skin. Seals body coats do darken with age, and it looks more like the normal body color of a seal point. The seal is lighter then ideal - perhaps there was a chocolate parent or so in the background.

As far as grooming the tail, be careful; you want to comb in the direction of the kinks without trying to straightening it. If you go to the shows, talk to Japanese Bobtails owners/breeders in how they do the kinked tails of their cats.