How Much To Feed !!!!!

rayfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI all

I have a 4 weeks old kitten and Im having problems with feeding him because some sites suggest that the feeding for a 4 weeks old cat should be 104 cc 3 times per day (thats 34 cc every 8 hours ) but my kitten wont drink 34 cc when I feed him.He will only drink upto 15-25 cc max and thats between 4 ,5, 6 hours.

Ive been feeding him with milupa 1 BABY FOOD since his 3rd day after BIRTH.

what should I do ?????

Thanks,

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On a kitten that young smaller, more frequent feedings are best IMO. 20cc's is a decent sized meal for a teeny tiny stomach, but I would do it at least four times a day, and five or more if I could manage it.

Is he still on formula or are you adding a bit of wet food yet? I'm not familiar with the food you mentioned- is it a balanced and complete kitten food? Has a veterinarian seen him and told you how he's doing?

What does he weigh now? Are you charting his weight at least weekly? That is the best way to keep track of how baby kittens are progressing IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rayfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill

On a kitten that young smaller, more frequent feedings are best IMO. 20cc's is a decent sized meal for a teeny tiny stomach, but I would do it at least four times a day, and five or more if I could manage it.

Is he still on formula or are you adding a bit of wet food yet? I'm not familiar with the food you mentioned- is it a balanced and complete kitten food? Has a veterinarian seen him and told you how he's doing?

What does he weigh now? Are you charting his weight at least weekly? That is the best way to keep track of how baby kittens are progressing IMO.
Hi Cearbhail,

When I found the kitty ( 2-4 days old ) the first thing I did was to check on info for the feeding process and I came up with different types of formulas but the only formula I could use at that time was cow milk mixed with two egg
yolks and a bit of salad oil (this formula was aproved by my mothers vet). (used olive oil instead )

I wasnt able to use any other kind of formula since I live in a foreign country (Turkey) and most the stuff mentioned in the quick formulas arent available here ( evaporated milk , unflavored gelatin etc...

so I went on with the formula mentioned above for 4 days are so.Afterwards I made some more detailed google research and read about the side effects of cow milk on baby cats and decided to visit the local vet of the town which I was located at that time.

He looked at the kitten and told me that the fella was in good condition and would survive but he also told me to change the diet cause they had ended up with dead kittens when fed with cows milk (diarrhea) and thats when he came up with Milupa 1 its HUMAN BABY FOOD which means that is certainly NOT balanced or complete kitten food.The only problem I had was constipation I used olive oil to solve the problem and it worked.

Ill get some wet food for the kitten today cause hes been trying to eat my other cats fish.It seems like hes prepared for wet food ???? should I give this food as it is or Mixed with water or something else ???? Any recommendations on THE BRAND ???

I havent weighed him yet but Ill listen to your advice and weigh the kitty in a few minutes.He looks ok though ( playfull and a little bigger )

Ill listen to your advice and feed him every 4 hours.How much wet food should I feed him ??? And would that be every 4 hours too ????

thanks for the quick reply Cearbhail I really appreciate it

See ya

rayfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK kitty-milk arrived with royal canın 34 (dry food) Ive mixed the milk and dry food and fed him a bit do you think thats ok for the kitten.Couldnt weigh the kitty cause my scale wont work

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd either feed him the dry food mixed with kitten milk, or the best quality wet food I could find diluted with water enough to make it easy to give. He's getting old enough to eat wet on his own once he learns how.

Try everything!

At four weeks I don't think he needs fed every four hours- four or five times a day should be enough. You want him to get hungry enough to eat with gusto, but not hungry enough to get nauseous, or weak.

Good luck!

rayfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill

I'd either feed him the dry food mixed with kitten milk, or the best quality wet food I could find diluted with water enough to make it easy to give. He's getting old enough to eat wet on his own once he learns how.

Try everything!

At four weeks I don't think he needs fed every four hours- four or five times a day should be enough. You want him to get hungry enough to eat with gusto, but not hungry enough to get nauseous, or weak.

Good luck!
Ok Ill do so...

Its good to hear Im on the right track I was a little anxious for the past
few days BUT FEEL MUCH BETTER NOW.

THANKS for your concern.

By the way how many cats do u HAVE ?