Am I Doing The Right Thing!

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I have posted several times about my 3 cats. I have been in the behavior forum but it's not a very active spot and I could really use some advice now...

A quick catch up.... Murphy 6yr, (mellow male) & Bootsy 5 yr (nervous nelly) are my 2 cats. 2 months ago I introduced Moses. 3 yr friendly in-your-face cat!
My 2 didn't like that. He was aggressive in a friendly way. They are still seperated. Only together under supervision due to some scuffels.
At one point Murphy started grooming Moses but it turned into a nasty growling fight. I seperated them again. They can see & smell each other through the door.

They can all eat together then when they seperate they start to stalk. It's started sometimes by Boot, sometimes Moses.
Murphy tries to hide.(I feel bad for him)
I am always there with a broom to put between them to break the stalking pattern. It was working. Late Friday we had them all in the livingroom for almost an hour. I WAS SO HAPPY! Murphy hid the entire time but Moses & Bootsy sat 3 feet in from of each other taking turnes getting close hissing ,growling, spitting you name it but they did not fight. I thought this was good.
They were learning about each other.. Well after a while Boots took off and Moses ran after her and it was Horrible! Enough fur to make another cat not to mention Moses's eye was cut around the lid and it was squinty.
And Boots also. We tried the blanket over them but I'm afraid to throw it over the 2. My son was able to grab Moses. They have been seperated ever since. Moses is the most loving cat I have ever seen I can't bare the thought of finding him another home.

I am also really afraid to try again. Hubby thinks we MUST keep at it. I sort of agree but I'm afraid the next time someone will get their EYE scratched. Or worse!!!
They both have scabs under their fur all around their head..
PLEASE,PLEASE......Any suggestions? Should we keep puting them together?
What should I do????????????

Thanks, Judith

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Have you tried Feliway?
Yes, It's still plugged in..

Also tried the vanilla on all 3 so they smell the same..What get me the most is they can sit together for up to an hour then break out into such a nasty fight..So frustriating!!

The picture of the cat on the right looks just like my Bootsy except the spot by the nose is dark..

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you can try the whole introduction thing over. When Phantom came home Phenom was NOT a happy camper. We kept Phantom in a seperate room unless we were around and the 2 were getting along. Try putting soft claws on your kitters to stop the scratching. They really do work very well. And if you haven't looked into this thread please do!
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=Introductions

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Judith, I'm in the same boat. My Ophelia doesn't get along with the others. Right now, I am not trying introductions as we have ringworm, but I don't know when I will try again.

I keep Ophelia in my bedroom 24/7. She has all the comforts she needs, and gets me all to helself at night!
If you are considering re-homing, consider this: What are Moses odds of being adopted? Ophelia's odds are zero. Should I take her to the shelter, she will be euthanized sometime unless our extra-special rescue is willing to take her(which, again, probably won't happen). Before making a decision like this, consider where Moses would be better off: at your house or at the shelter. While Ophelia would be happier in another home, that ain't gonna happen, so I make her as happy as possible here. Treats, toys, window to stare out, pillows to sleep on, dressers to climb, and my bed all to herself during the day. She gets 15+ mintures of "mommy & me" petting time every night. She is content living in her own silent little world. I buy her tons of her favorite types of toys-feather toys. Interactive play daily, fetch daily, etc.

My Lily will run like your Boots did. Maybe try putting Murphy & Moses in a room together. Keep Moses away from Boots until Moses gets used to Murphy...then try Boots & Moses together until they get used to each other. If you do intros of 2 at a time, maybe it would be less stressful? I am just throwing ideas out here, as you really don't sound like you want to give Moses up.

Can you seperate your house like I did? I have Twitch & Lily upstairs. I have Ophelia downstairs. I also have 2 foster cats downstairs, seperate from Ophelia. Honestly, the house is big enough the cats don't care! I know the shelter president has 5 cats-1 who is other cat aggressive. So, the cat aggressive one is in the bedroom all day. When she or her roommate get home at night, all 4 other cats go into another room for wet food supper while the cat aggressive cat comes out to run. The cat aggressive cat is out sometimes all night if he wants to be, sometimes he sleeps in bed with her. It may be tough, but it works for them.

Try meetings with everyone on a harness & leash. Continue to use vanilla, Feliway, etc. Maybe try sprinkling the floor with catnip & getting the kitties high beforehand? (If it works-great! If not-too bad!) Have you talked to your vet about other options or suggestions?

One suggestion I was given was to gate off or screen off Ophelia in my bedroom, leaving the door open so she could see the other cats. Maybe, over time, she would get used to their presence.

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi White cat lover,

Well, I am way to attached to Moses to give him up. I would never give him to a shelter. I just really hate keeping him seperate. He is an extreamly vocal cat and when he is alone he is loud. It's not bothersome as much as it makes me feel so guilty.
He is in a finished basement. He has a bed, window, food, litter & toys. I go down often and I put Murphy & Boots in my bedroon every night for an hour and let Moses have free roam in the house. I just wish they would all get along. I may try a chicken wire door. Still supervised but it may be a good chance to get them to be together without being together...

I no longer use the vanilla because they had a big brawl after I used it so I figured it was not working.
As much as I hate it, I will keep them seperated.
Boots will never allow a harnes or a leash. She is way to skiddish.. I may take your advice and try Murphy & Moses first. Murphy is afraid but I think they will get along. I did have another rescue several month ago. It took a while but they all got along but the fights were never this nasty...I had to put him down because he had cancer and was very sick. Maybe thats why they didn't bother him so much.

If you or anyone else can think of anything.. let me know..
I will check out the site Phenomsmoms posted...

Thanks everyone...
Judith

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more thing......................

If I do the blanket thing when they fight, should they stop fighting when the blanket falls? I'm afraid it will be a fight in the dark and claws will get stuck in the blanket and it will be a mess.....
And do you think I should put them together or wait a while? And how long should I wait?

Sorry for all the questions...
Thanks

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they can stay together for an hour. separate them at 55 minutes every night for a week and try to extend the time by ten minutes every week.

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

If they can stay together for an hour. separate them at 55 minutes every night for a week and try to extend the time by ten minutes every week.
We tried that and it worked up to about an hour. We will try again reducing the time frame and slowly increasing it but I'm so concerned they will fight again... It's funny I have the 3 greatest cats.. All seperated! They are all social and have great personalties. Just not together.. If you lay on the floor, Moses will do something like a belly crawl up to your face and flop ove on his side. He is so sweet. I will never give him up. I guess I need to have patients and be persistant...

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of dividing the two friendly cats, so the newbie only gets one at a time. And maybe if you have toys out, like strings to chase, they will be too busy playing to fight! If an hour is too much time, give them 1/2 hour only.

Good luck.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone has given you good ideas so far
. I highly recommend this thread as well http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=Introductions. Also, i really recommend reading "Cats For Dummies" - it is an excelent book with all sorts of useful ideas and tips. It even has a behavior section in it that discusses introducing other cats to each other. Also- if you are afraid to use a blanket- keep a spray bottle of water handy and mist the kitties if they fight (avoiding their ears and faces
). Or, hit a chair,clap your hands, or make a loud noise to scare them. Also...try cutting back their time together as another member suggested from an hour to about 45-50 minutes...if they do well..gradually increase their time. And definitely, definitely trim their nails and put soft claws on them to prevent any more scratching incidents. To clean the cuts they acquired in the previous fight- make some saline water (boil water & salt together - let it cool then put it in a container at room temperature.) Pour a little saline water on a cotton pad and apply it to the wound..then apply a pinch of neosporin (make sure it is regular neosporin) to the site. That sholuld prevent any infections!
Good luck!

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We may try that tonight.. Hubby wanted to let them all out last night but I chickened out.. I'm so afraid one will get his eyes scratched...2 of them have scabs all around the head.

Maybe we will try again tonight...2 at a time...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know the problem I have is that my Lily is such a chicken when she sees a strange cat she runs to hide. Ophelia goes "Ohhh.....FUN! Chase the other kitty!" So Lily thinks she is being attacked & fights with Ophelia...who in turn fights backs...

If you try a "screen door" to let them see each other, I would suggest sturdy mesh & watch when you use it at first to make sure they can't get through. I would hate to be gone & have them attacking each other. (Yes, I'm paranoid)

I do so hope your family can get along. I know exactly how you feel watching them fight.

One more idea....I saw a baby playpen in ShopKo the other day. I don't *think* a cat could escape from it. It was the plastic one(round fence-thingy)...no top to it, but I bet one could be made. You could set that up in the middle of a room where Bootsy & Murphy are. Put Moses in there & allow them the opportunity to see him, and watch him. Maybe, with time, they would get used to his presence and not feel so threatened. IMO, if Bootsy would quit running away & didn't feel threatened by Moses, things would work out.

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Everyone has given you good ideas so far
. I highly recommend this thread as well http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=Introductions. Also, i really recommend reading "Cats For Dummies" - it is an excelent book with all sorts of useful ideas and tips. It even has a behavior section in it that discusses introducing other cats to each other. Also- if you are afraid to use a blanket- keep a spray bottle of water handy and mist the kitties if they fight (avoiding their ears and faces
). Or, hit a chair,clap your hands, or make a loud noise to scare them. Also...try cutting back their time together as another member suggested from an hour to about 45-50 minutes...if they do well..gradually increase their time. And definitely, definitely trim their nails and put soft claws on them to prevent any more scratching incidents. To clean the cuts they acquired in the previous fight- make some saline water (boil water & salt together - let it cool then put it in a container at room temperature.) Pour a little saline water on a cotton pad and apply it to the wound..then apply a pinch of neosporin (make sure it is regular neosporin) to the site. That sholuld prevent any infections!
Good luck!
Hi Starry,
I use the water bottle for training purpos. All I need to do is shake the botle when someone wants to claw or eat a plant and they run like crazy. I don't even have to squirt it. However, I tried it in a fight and it did nothing. I think only a fire hose would have worked because r=the forse would have seperated then. Anything short of that will not work. Ditto on the loud noise. But keep the suggestions coming....I appreciate it.

judith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I know the problem I have is that my Lily is such a chicken when she sees a strange cat she runs to hide. Ophelia goes "Ohhh.....FUN! Chase the other kitty!" So Lily thinks she is being attacked & fights with Ophelia...who in turn fights backs...

If you try a "screen door" to let them see each other, I would suggest sturdy mesh & watch when you use it at first to make sure they can't get through. I would hate to be gone & have them attacking each other. (Yes, I'm paranoid)

I do so hope your family can get along. I know exactly how you feel watching them fight.

One more idea....I saw a baby playpen in ShopKo the other day. I don't *think* a cat could escape from it. It was the plastic one(round fence-thingy)...no top to it, but I bet one could be made. You could set that up in the middle of a room where Bootsy & Murphy are. Put Moses in there & allow them the opportunity to see him, and watch him. Maybe, with time, they would get used to his presence and not feel so threatened. IMO, if Bootsy would quit running away & didn't feel threatened by Moses, things would work out.
Hi White cat,
I love
the play pen idea.. I was even thinking a big giant cage all chicken wire. My hubby can make that easy enough. I can keep them together every night for at least an hour and after a while try to put them together.. I may do something like that. Thanks for the idea. You are also 100% right about Bootsy running. If she never ran away, Moses would not chase her.
Your Lily and Ophelia sound alot like Moses & Bootsy...
I'll let you know what we decide with the wire contraption!
I do like that idea....At least we can all be together if nothing else. And I won't feel so guilty about leaving Moses alone.
Judith

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the "other side of the door" type of introductions? You should feed them each on opposite sides of a closed door. Then eventually put a towel on either side of the door, sprinkled with a bit of catnip. Then switch sides so they get used to each other's smell, and continue letting them feed on each side of the door. Hopefully they will start trying to play under the door. When they interact, give them goodies!