AAAAHHH! (rant)

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my freaking word. i have been diligently working on my last project for my masters degree for over a year now. i have 3 reflection papers and 3 research papers to write and then orally present them to the faculty.

the catch? the 3 research papers have to be approved. . . . .not too bad,

EXCEPT when the teacher that approves them disagrees with your philosophy and nitpicks ever frickin' word in the title 12 times over!!!!!!!

here are my questions:

In what ways can data from the Music Aptitude Profile be used to differentiate sight-singing instruction?

How can a literacy-based approach to solfege be used to enhance middle school choral instruction and help students prepare for concert presentations?

and the one the teacher has a problem with CONSTANTLY

In what ways can popular music be used to motivate students who perceive a divide between music at home and music at school?

and now finally she has approved it.

she doesn't know that i've already written the paper and just needed the topic approved.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is your Master's in? Music ed? Music cognition? Is it choir or general music?

I'm finishing up my bachelor's in flute performance!

And I agree....professors are a total pain. I like your questions, though. Even as an instumentalist, I would have liked to have learned solfeg when I was 11 or 12 rather than when I was 18. I think it would have helped my ear develop better and then I'd have a better sense of pitch. I also like the one about pop music. I use pop music with my flute students when I'm teaching pulse and rhythm.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

here are my questions:

In what ways can data from the Music Aptitude Profile be used to differentiate sight-singing instruction?
Uh...um...duh, I don't know.

How can a literacy-based approach to solfege be used to enhance middle school choral instruction and help students prepare for concert presentations?
Er...what?!?

and the one the teacher has a problem with CONSTANTLY

In what ways can popular music be used to motivate students who perceive a divide between music at home and music at school?
That one I can understand!
And I know it is a good thing to consider, because my 17 y/o who has been in band since 4th grade, loves all kinds of music. He has always been taught a combination of classical, ballads, etc, and either popular music or tunes from movies that kids and young adults are interested in.

I'm glad you got approval for your topics. Good luck getting the final papers approved, and with the oral presentations!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

What is your Master's in? Music ed? Music cognition? Is it choir or general music?

I'm finishing up my bachelor's in flute performance!

And I agree....professors are a total pain. I like your questions, though. Even as an instumentalist, I would have liked to have learned solfeg when I was 11 or 12 rather than when I was 18. I think it would have helped my ear develop better and then I'd have a better sense of pitch. I also like the one about pop music. I use pop music with my flute students when I'm teaching pulse and rhythm.
My masters will be in Music Education. I teach both general music and choir. Congrats on your degree!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Uh...um...duh, I don't know.

Er...what?!?

That one I can understand!
And I know it is a good thing to consider, because my 17 y/o who has been in band since 4th grade, loves all kinds of music. He has always been taught a combination of classical, ballads, etc, and either popular music or tunes from movies that kids and young adults are interested in.

I'm glad you got approval for your topics. Good luck getting the final papers approved, and with the oral presentations!
Yeah, the one you can understand is the one i had the hardest time getting approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The others are just basic gibberish. I vomited on my computer and polished it up and added some herbs...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, you are so funny. I agree with Allie that solfege with a moveable "Do" would have greatly enhanced my musical education. Not to mention that the earlier you learn something the easier it is to learn. 18 almost seems to late in my opinion. Especially in the choral arena. Even though we hated that class in college, it was the single most helpful thing we learned Freshman year. I find now that if I can't play something, if I stop and solfege it, I can play it.

Also, EXTREMELY helpful to brass players, especially horn players.

Oh, and I don't know the Music Aptitude Profile. Is it something you give to students in middle school? That would be interesting!