What the heck is she doing?

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I've only had my (12 year old, very talkative) cat for about two and a half weeks (feels like forever
). She has several different meows.

-silent single meow, usually if I look at her and she's sleepy.
-quiet single meow, usually to say hi if I come into the room
-loud long single meow, as a hello when I get home from work
-loud multiple meows, means FEED ME @%#! IT
and sometimes she does loud multiple meows meaning OPEN THIS DOOR i can't get innnn.

However, a couple of times she's been wandering around and will suddenly start meowing really loudly, for apparently no reason at all. She's usually in the same room as me, and staring at something. this morning anyway she was staring up into an open closet. The door wasn't closed, she had food in her bowl... what does it mean when she does this? She kept on doing it even after I called to her and she came over and walked past me. I'm so confused...

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beccory

So, I've only had my (12 year old, very talkative) cat for about two and a half weeks (feels like forever
). She has several different meows.

-silent single meow, usually if I look at her and she's sleepy.
-quiet single meow, usually to say hi if I come into the room
-loud long single meow, as a hello when I get home from work
-loud multiple meows, means FEED ME @%#! IT
and sometimes she does loud multiple meows meaning OPEN THIS DOOR i can't get innnn.

However, a couple of times she's been wandering around and will suddenly start meowing really loudly, for apparently no reason at all. She's usually in the same room as me, and staring at something. this morning anyway she was staring up into an open closet. The door wasn't closed, she had food in her bowl... what does it mean when she does this? She kept on doing it even after I called to her and she came over and walked past me. I'm so confused...
I have to ask... is she a tortie?!

My tortie talks constantly. I love it - while it can be annoying at times, I'd rather have her talk then be quiet. Like your cat, she talks loudly for no reason. We think she really wants attention when she seems to be doing it randomly - so we pet her tons and tons. It only stops her for a little bit... because she is a pet hog.

The loud/weird talkers I know of are all torties - part of that tortitude, I think!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There might be some kind of toy in that closet. If it were the Zissou, I would probably have lifted her up into the closet to see what she wanted. Is there a feather or a string (even to switch the bulb on and off) or something in the closet? When Zissou does that meow, it means she wants help with something, either lifted up or given a way to get up herself or something opened, maybe not the door necessarily.

Or she's playing with shadows.

Then again, maybe she's telling you something really important, like, that she likes one flavor of food better or something
, and we humans are just too dumb to understand the meow language.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Izzie has seen flies and other insects in various rooms and has meowed at me as if she's telling me to help her. Do you see any insects or possibly do you have mice in your walls?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with Zissou'sMom - I think she wants something. Molly does it - in her case it means "follow me". (I respond with "show me" and she walks to whatever it is she wants.)

nelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some kitties have a great vocabulary, AND a great imagination. Our Ethel will sometimes pad through the house going, (this is a sad approximation) "yaow, yaow, yaow" with no change in tone, just like a siren. Sometimes she has a catnip-infused puffy in her mouth and talks around it. I think she thinks it is a mousie and she wants everyone to see what a great hunter she is. She acts all skittery and wild like she has something that we may covet and try to steal...what a hoot they are!
Sometimes, they just see things we can't. Sometimes, they remember that ONCE there was something interesting there.

They have a better sense of everything than we do!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They really can understand us, I swear. The other day I said "Zissou, come here!" and she came right up and sat down. Sometimes I even will jokingly say "Zissou, come help me with this!" and she'll come right over and "help" or sit down on what I'm doing, or stand in front of it.

Now if only we could understand them as well as they understand us, right!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shambelle

My tortie talks constantly. I love it - while it can be annoying at times, I'd rather have her talk then be quiet. Like your cat, she talks loudly for no reason. We think she really wants attention when she seems to be doing it randomly - so we pet her tons and tons. It only stops her for a little bit... because she is a pet hog.

The loud/weird talkers I know of are all torties - part of that tortitude, I think!
That's awesome!!!!
My torti-point Siamese "Yells & Screams" at her little sparkly pom balls...it's hysterical- she always winds up lining them up and putting them one at a time in her water dish- she's a little weirdo
./ I think the "screaming" is just a cat thing...when they see something that catches their eyes, they just do that. I'm not sure why, but there's no harm in it
. As long as the kitty is healthy and happy- there shouldn't be any problems.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beccory

It sounds like you are learning her language

Chynna doesn't meow often at all. Days and days go by without her meowing. Purring on the other hand..... LOL

Abby is very talkative too. We have quite the conversation when I'm in the kitchen and she's in there with me I have no idea what we're talking about, but she seems to like it, hehe

Next time your kitty sits and meows at the closet, pick her up and let her see what's in there and on the shelf. Chances are she's curious about what's way up there out of her reach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shambelle

No, actually, she's a tabby, but she's part Maine Coon, and I've heard they're talky too

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had cats previously? She could be smelling or sensing them. I've discovered that when Odo yells (which he does frequently), he is often stressed because he smells or hears cats outside.

Also, since she is a bit older, you may want to have her checked for hyperthyroidism and high blood pressure, both of which can cause excessive or loud meowing.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
My tortie girl Lucy isn't that chatty. But Carly my tabby girl talks and talks and talks and talks (you get the idea).

I suspect that it is a door and that door is closed. Doesn't matter if the cat wants in there or not, if it is a door then it should be open. At least that is the opinion of my three here.