Jerry going in for a colonoscopy......any advice?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember that Jerry was admitted to the hospital for bad abdominal pain over the 4th of July? Well, the doc just wanted him to have a routine colonoscopy then just to make sure all was well "there". He's never had one and neither have I. Any words of comfort I can give him by people that have had this done would be appreciated. I hear the prep is worse than the procedure.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband has had them several times and his kids because their mom had colon cancer..they all said it's no big deal the prep is the worst for sure...you wake up and it's all over and then you go get something to eat cuz your starved!!! Good luck! By the way my husband is what they call a polup farmer it's when u get these little benign polups but they zap them and send them to a pathologist but usually they are nothing. Good Luck to him!!!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Remember that Jerry was admitted to the hospital for bad abdominal pain over the 4th of July? Well, the doc just wanted him to have a routine colonoscopy then just to make sure all was well "there". He's never had one and neither have I. Any words of comfort I can give him by people that have had this done would be appreciated. I hear the prep is worse than the procedure.
Lots of words of comfort, no big deal I had it done and really it's not bad at all, plus they will give him something to relax him, you kinda out of it and don't really feel anything but when its over it's not like being drugged. I think the prep is the worst part of any of it, I had a flexi-sig, the colonoscopy then a barium done none of them were really much at all except the not being able to eat
and most of that is just knowing you can't, just taking to stuff to perpare your colon basically laxitives hated that. When I had mine done they found that I have a redundant colon witch means its longer then normal pretty common I guess, Tell Jerry Just eat real good a few days before that prep bcause jello and broth don't get it
And I've seen some of your cooking
even for a couple of days you miss that food

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had one done before but I went with a friend once who had the procedure.

She said the stress about it was worse than the procedure itself

Sending lots of good vibes for Jerry

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are exactly right, the prep is definitely worse than the procedure. The procedure was a piece of cake. I didn't feel anything other than a little pressure. I had to have one done a few weeks before a scheduled colon resection.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never had one, but my mother and grandparents have. I think the prep is easier now than it was just a few years ago. I remember mom sitting on the toilet and throwing up in the trashcan at the same time because she had to drink a gallon of something within an hour or so. Now, I think they cleanse your system differently. Good luck to Jerry! I find it is always easier to undergo the preventative procedures than have to face something horrible that could have been prevented!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The BEST tip I got before prepping for mine was to pick a Gatorade flavor to mix with the prep stuff that you know you won't ever want to drink again.

I chose lemon-lime gaotorade, and to this day, I can't drink the stuff because it brings back the memories of my prep - BLEAH!!!!

The prep IS worse than the test, but it is SO worth it to get it done!!!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't have to drink a gallon of stuff
I think it depends on the way the gastro Dr wants it done, just took some laxitives and Bisacodyl mixed with juice, that creats bulk
I didn't get sick at all, just hungryier
Just the prep is something for me that I wouldn't really want to recommend the tests to friends
But it's well worth doing as my Father died from Colon cancer...I thought the felxi sig was the worst one that's where they just do the lower portion of the colon and they don't give you anything, that I thought was uncomfortable as heck to me, but other people say it wasn't that bad to them, and I am not a big baby either, you just do what you need to, because of having the redundant colon I don't think they would do another colonscopy because it won't go through the loop.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, drinking all of that stuff then, uhm, emptying my system out was the worst...I was OUT for the procedure. Don't remember a thing. But stressing over it before hand was half the worry. They said they removed polyps, and I would have never known otherwise, didn't hurt or anything. They are really common so don't stress out if they mention removing them for testing.

Good luck to him : )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone......I'll get him to read this thread. His test is next Monday.....

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, Bravo ph monitor system, CT scan, and blood tests and something else i can't remember only about 4 months ago- so i've been there and can relate. The prep is definitely much much worse than the actual procedure. He will likely get very sick during the prep- no solid foods for almost 2 days- liquid diet only- (it's aweful!!! And for his sake, please don't give him Ensure, it's disghusting...i found that i did ok with bullon cubes that made a broth
)...also gatoraid & poweraid to keep him hydrated). The night before, they will give him multiple laxatives to take- have him ask for the pills instead of the liquid laxatives, they are just as effective, trust me, and don't taste as bad.If they do a follow up CT Scan on him however, he will have to drink a "barium liquid smoothie" - i found it best just to try and chug it- it's disghusting!! - The prep with the laxatives are the worst part- give him lots of magazine to read and some Tucks pads to hopefully prevent any hemmroids- that will make it a lot easier on him. The day of the procedure- they will have you husband put on a gown and have an IV nurse give him an iv, once that iv kicks in- he won't remember a thing! I had an IV because i had multiple procedures done at the same time- he can ask to be completly sedated during the entire thing- i highly recommend that
...he doesn't want to be awake for it.When he wakes up, he won't be able to drive- so usually the doctors require a driver to stay in the waiting room during the procedure (it isn't long) to drive the patient home afterward. Post op- he can eat whatever he wants as long as it doesn't make him sick...propbably good news becuase he will probably be starving
. Afterwards i had a ton of cramping because when the preform the procedure, a lot of air gets trapped in your body....if you know what i mean.....so he will probably experience a bit of gas, bloating, and cramping. The only relief i got was from was when i was laying down
. It goes away usually within a day or so, so it won't be too bad. I'm sending your husband lots of good vibes. The prep is worse than the procedure and the recovery....Once he gets through the prep, he'll be alirght.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he's going to be a bear through all of this prep..can I move in with one of you before hand??

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Thanks everyone......I'll get him to read this thread. His test is next Monday.....
Just let him eat alot the end of the week, fix him goodies I guess he'll have to stop eating what like on saturday? He'll be fine though really

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

The BEST tip I got before prepping for mine was to pick a Gatorade flavor to mix with the prep stuff that you know you won't ever want to drink again.

I chose lemon-lime gaotorade, and to this day, I can't drink the stuff because it brings back the memories of my prep - BLEAH!!!!

The prep IS worse than the test, but it is SO worth it to get it done!!!
I'm the same, to this day I won't touch gatorade because it brings back memories of the prep. I had one bottle of gatorade left after my prep and it is still in the fridge 2 years later. Don't ask me why I don't throw it out! I had to do a similar prep right before my colon resection surgery. They removed 25% of my colon. I was only 35 at the time so it is unusual to have the problems I did at my age.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Just let him eat alot the end of the week, fix him goodies I guess he'll have to stop eating what like on saturday? He'll be fine though really
That's what i did! I ate everything i wanted before i had to start the prep ( i usually eat every few hours, i have Vertigo so i get dizzy w/o food and pass out) The hardest thing for me was not eating! I was starving the whole time. During his prep, get him some bullon cubes-- don't get the liquid broth that comes in a box..the Swansons is nasty by itself....get the cubes and put them in hot water- that and popcicles, and jello got me though
Good luck!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

The prep is the worst. Just make sure to have magazines, crossword puzzle books, etc. already in any bathroom he may be using. Also, get those flushable wipes that are made by cottonelle. They made it pretty bearable, and my rearend thanked me.
Aren't those wipes for like cleaning the toilet, sink etc?

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The prep is bad, but nothing really painful or horrifying: just a lot of quality time spent on the porcelain throne! I had a flexi-sig and a colonoscopy about 3 years ago--which was very unusual as most 20 year olds don't have the kind of stomach problems I was having. All was fine in the end, and I won't need another one for awhile unless my symptoms get worse again.

He'll be fine, he just might need to be babied for a few days! guys are ALWAYS worse with these things than women!!

michelle mayall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my hubby had one earlier this year he said the worst part was after walking through the hospital with terrible wind hehehehe it was every step and it was so loud he was so embarassed lol