TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › One Cat Grooming Another?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One Cat Grooming Another?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
When we got Sherman 2 months ago, the lady who gave Vinny to us warned us to "watch out for the licking" because he used to groom her other cat all the time. Needlesss to say, after the initial getting-to-know-each-other phase, Vinny began to groom Sherman a lot, but only on the head and neck. He has also take to trying to bite or chew on Sherman's eye area, in the same "lick, lick, bite" type thing he does to my husband and I -- on our hands, fingers and arms.

Sherman will also groom Vinny anywhere on his back or head, but much less frequently than Vinny does to Sherman.

Does anyone know why this might be happening and if it's normal? If its normal I'll just let it go, but if not, is there a way to curb this behavior?
post #2 of 14
Yes this is normal, and so precious! Wish my girlies would groom each other, but Sierra just won't have anything to do with it. Also, you can consider it a complement when Vinny decides you need grooming! I love it when Sierra or Serenity give me a sandpaper bath, so sweet.
post #3 of 14
My girls do it to each other,too! It just means they love each other!!
post #4 of 14
My cats, who are sisters, groom each other as well. It is fantastically cute, and wonderful to watch.

As long as the other cat doesn't mind, it isn't a problem. If Sherman minds, I'm sure Sherman will make Vinny aware of the problem before you can do anything about it. In other words, it's a good thing, so be happy!
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkelly127 View Post
When we got Sherman 2 months ago, the lady who gave Vinny to us warned us to "watch out for the licking" because he used to groom her other cat all the time. Needlesss to say, after the initial getting-to-know-each-other phase, Vinny began to groom Sherman a lot, but only on the head and neck. He has also take to trying to bite or chew on Sherman's eye area, in the same "lick, lick, bite" type thing he does to my husband and I -- on our hands, fingers and arms.

Sherman will also groom Vinny anywhere on his back or head, but much less frequently than Vinny does to Sherman.

Does anyone know why this might be happening and if it's normal? If its normal I'll just let it go, but if not, is there a way to curb this behavior?

My kitties groom each other all the time! They groom each other very frequently. It's nothing to worry about!
post #6 of 14
My girls groom each other all the time.

Heres a short video of them

http://media.putfile.com/Rosie-and-Sophie
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiemac View Post
My girls groom each other all the time.

Heres a short video of them

http://media.putfile.com/Rosie-and-Sophie
hehe, that's so cute!!!!

My cats barely tolerate one another so I don't get to see the cute cuddling or grooming stuff

A few times I've seen them laying about 6 inches from each other, but that's the closest they ever get unless it's dinner time and then Chynna will let Abby get right up to her. For them to be 6 inches from each other sleeping, I know that Chynna was sleeping when Abby laid down because if Chynna saw Abby that close, she would swat her for sure.

Chynna was 6 years when I got Abby who was 4 months old. I figured that Chynna would love to have a sister kitty and would be a good "Mommy" but Chynna prefers to cuddle and groom me.

This is the first time I've had 2 cats, so I didn't know about introduction procedures, so the reason they aren't close may have something to do with the fact that for years there was just me and Chynna and then suddenly there was a kitten to share space with.
post #8 of 14
It is a sign of affection, particularly if the cat also grooms you. You're an Honorary Cat!
post #9 of 14
Pixel & Mouse indulged in mutual grooming quite often. after Mouse died, Pixel & Cable became grooming partners, altho not as frequent ones. Pixel has also licked both Java & Chip, but neither of them seem to want her to groom them - they don't come to her like Cable does. Pixel is the 'mama' - i thought for a while that she was the top cat, because i had read that the groomer usually was, but in every other way, Cable's top, so i think i was wrong.
post #10 of 14
Mine all groom each other- they go inside each others ears to an alarming depth. Sometimes it looks as if the one being groomed is barely tolerating it- that ear licking has go to tickle something wicked! With that raspy tongue? (((shudder)))
post #11 of 14
Spike has always been groomed by other cats: at our previous home, our roommates' tiny calico groomed him, and now at our apartment Oz grooms him. It's usually Oz grooming Spike, and not the other way around. Oz also grooms us humans -- Spike never does.

When Oz grooms Spike it works like this: grooming leads to tasting, which leads to chewing, which leads to outright biting, which inevitably leads to Feline Armaggedon! Oz will pin Spike in place and groom for a bit; then Spike gets bored and wants to go play, but Oz isn't done, so Oz has to forcibly hold him down. Spike eventually puts up more of a fight, one of them snaps at the other one, and the next thing you know they're racing around the apartment.

From the sound of things you'd think they hated each other's guts, but no, they adore each other. Fortunately Oz doesn't groom us quite so vigorously!
post #12 of 14
ugh, my cat tries to groom me or the BF all the time. We have to make sure our hair isn't anywhere near her because when she grooms us she SLOBBERS. it's pretty gross. I hope when we get her a companion she'll groom that cat instead of us.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Mine all groom each other- they go inside each others ears to an alarming depth. Sometimes it looks as if the one being groomed is barely tolerating it- that ear licking has go to tickle something wicked! With that raspy tongue? (((shudder)))
Yes it does tickle.. Trust me.
post #14 of 14
My two year old resident Hendrix, is grooming our new 8 week old Joplin right now!

It is so precious! Joplin loves it. Usually he starts playing after wards and Hendrix gets a annoyed and runs away!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › One Cat Grooming Another?