An overheard conversation...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has been bothering me, so I thought that I'd ask for some advice. At the birthday party last night I heard my MIL talking to a friend and as it turns out, a coworker of mine (we both work for a large company). My MIL said that I am anorexic. This is a recent charge that I've had to refute at many family gatherings. I realize I've lost a lot of weight, but I didn't starve myself. I also eat three meals a day, every day. To be honest I've never counted calories in my entire life, I've just changed the way I eat. Her saying that I am anorexic is admittedly irresponsible, but I'm really upset that she would feel the need to share this with someone that I could possibly have to work with. Anyone have any advice?

Edit: The really irritating thing is that I was this weight when I met her son 7 years ago, and she didn't have a problem with my weight then.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If that was me i would need to have a quiet word with her telling her not to broadcast things like that in future.

Sounds like my MIL where i learnt not to tell her anything.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's really rude of her. Seems she's been sniping at you quite a bit recently.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be very skinny too, and people always said stuff like that about me too.

I think that if you just let her know you heard her, she'll be embarassed enough to think about her big fat mouth

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As much as I love my MIL, I've learned not to tell her things that I don't want to get around........I agree with Susan.....have a talk with her and tell her what you overheard...........

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would politely tell her that she when you were at the party the other night....that she was speaking so loudly, that you overheard her telling others that you are "anorexic". I would let her know that you eat regular healthy meals and that you are within a normal weight range. I would also let her know that you don't appreciate her spreading rumors behind you back- tell her that you are courteous enough to respect her and not do that to her and that you expect the same kindness in return.
Aside from making her jaw drop lol, i think that should straighten her out! Good luck!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.

You've gotten some good advice here, and if you think talking to her will help, definately do it. If your experience with her tells you that talking to her either won't help or will actually make things worse, don't.

If it comes up at work, it shouldn't be a huge problem - your coworkers know how much you bake, and probably see you eat lunch every day. If anyone asks you, just deny it. If they say your MIL said it, just deny it, and say that you don't know where she'd get such an idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I'm so sorry.

You've gotten some good advice here, and if you think talking to her will help, definately do it. If your experience with her tells you that talking to her either won't help or will actually make things worse, don't.

If it comes up at work, it shouldn't be a huge problem - your coworkers know how much you bake, and probably see you eat lunch every day. If anyone asks you, just deny it. If they say your MIL said it, just deny it, and say that you don't know where she'd get such an idea.
True! I know she is trying to stir the pot here, but I have a better idea. I was going to try to kill her with kindness. I think the is doing this so I will start a family fight. Sometimes I just need to get stuff like that out. Thanks guys!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think "killing her with kindness" is a great approach to this situation. Don't let her know she's pushing your buttons- smile, complement, be the kindest thing ever- make her extremely uncomfortable lol

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I think "killing her with kindness" is a great approach to this situation. Don't let her know she's pushing your buttons- smile, complement, be the kindest thing ever- make her extremely uncomfortable lol
I agree. Plus - no one can have sympathy for a meanie MIL who has a darling for a DIL. Brilliant idea Lookingglass.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

I agree. Plus - no one can have sympathy for a meanie MIL who has a darling for a DIL. Brilliant idea Lookingglass.
Thank you so much...
Sometimes I really feel like the only sane one in the room when she is around. That's really saying something too!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Better yet, bake her a huge cake and then right in front of her and lots of other people, eat a HUGE piece! That ought to make her "eat" her words! LOL!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

Better yet, bake her a huge cake and then right in front of her and lots of other people, eat a HUGE piece! That ought to make her "eat" her words! LOL!
That is the best idea ever!!!!! lol!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
first we are to fat, then we are to skinny,,,

Grrr, i put on a ton of weight ok not that much, but over 100 pounds. Well finally after about year i am back to within 25 pounds of 200 Now i get to hear all the time i am to skinny and i dont look right gRRRRRRR i was 207 when i broke my back and spent 7 ,months not being able to walk very well,, so how am i to skinny now?

anyway the point is you cant make every one happy, and i would ask her why she thinks that

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*Hugs* Her stupid comment isn't worth you even worrying about, what a horribly insensitive thing to say.

Maybe she's jealous that you're at the size you were 7 years ago.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Anorexia is a state of mind and it will obvious to the rest of your family, friends and co-workers that you're not anorexic. You don't need to justify yourself to your MIL. Getting uptight about it will probably just prove to her (in her eyes) that she's right. She's maybe just got used to you being bigger and hasn't adjusted to your lower weight yet.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah, don't do the cat thing...you can "always puke it up later" (
)

Just tell her that part of your diet consists of doing crack and that's really helped speed up your metabolism.

Oh yea, and scratch your nose a lot when you're telling her this.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Nah, don't do the cat thing...you can "always puke it up later" (
)

Just tell her that part of your diet consists of doing crack and that's really helped speed up your metabolism.

Oh yea, and scratch your nose a lot when you're telling her this.
Should I ich my arms too? LOL