Christy and MerKitty say hello

olivesmarch4th

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody! I posted last week or possibly two weeks ago about good ways to ease the transition of an adult 2 year old cat from a large, multi-cat, multi-dog household into a one-bedroom apartment with no other animals.

In answer to "how did it go?" I'll just say I'm having trouble typing because there's a cat lying on my arm.

Seriously, I think I have the best kitty in the world. Merlin (or as I like to call him, MerKitty) is my first cat, and I have always longed for one. I was sooo nervous that the move would be traumatic for him... and the fact that he meowed in indignance through much of the ride home made me worry even more.

However, within ONE HOUR of having him in the new place, he was rolling around in my lap and giving me "kitty paws." He's eating the new food and using the new litter box with no problem whatsoever! He is the most loving cat imaginable-- far more loving than I ever would have hoped. He's content to do his own thing when I'm busy but the minute I call for him he's rolling around in my lap and stretching his paws out as if to say, "LOVE ME!" He lacks the annoying habits some cats can have (chewing on electrical cords, getting into your food when you're not looking, trying to run out the door as soon as you open it) and possesses all of the positive qualities.

My husband theorizes that MerKitty has adapted so well to his new environment because "it's kind of like he's Little Orphan Annie and you're Daddy Warbucks." I can just hear him singing "I think I'm gonna like it here!" hahahaha.

Actually the funniest thing about this whole event is that my husband made it very clear when he agreed to let me get a cat that it was, "your cat, your responsibility." He's had some negative animal experiences and said, "I refuse to be anything but neutral until it's proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that having a cat in the household will not disrupt my life."

The first words out of my husband's mouth when he got home?

"OMG HE'S SO CUTE!" In the whopping 72 hours of our cat ownership he's repeated that phrase 100 times and also exclaimed, "We love our kitty, yes we do!" He even said, "there's my kitty... uh, I mean Christy's kitty."

What can I say? Merlin's a magician.

Here's some pics of the magic in action. I think he digs the camera:

I'm the happiest woman in the world!

Now if only he'd start using the cat furniture I paid $100 for... so far it seems to exist only as a vehichle to get himself onto the windowsill. *sigh*

Olives Always,
Christy

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a wonderful story! I'm so glad he adapted so quickly
You truly are a very lucky Mom!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a beautiful story .... for MerKitty, you and your husband ....
Hes so handsome, too. He seems to have adjusted to his new home with you, just perfectly !!

deelynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
glad all is going so well
he is very cute:-)
we had a cat just like that
name was midnight
he dissapered never seen again:-(
guess it happens with outside cats
we now have 3 and baby kittens:-)
so my daughters have LOTS of cats now

`dEE~

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweetie! And what a great story for all of you. Merlin probably knows he's got it made- the only cat in a house with two people who love him. Lucky boy.

Jean