pooping and peeing problems

788accidents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have had my 8 months old kitten for over 5 months now, and shes been using the litter box just fine for the last 4 months until recently she started pooping outside the box, but peeing inside the box without any problems, i tried cleaning up her litter box making it clean she still wouldnt poop in the right place, sometimes she even poops right beside the litterbox but not inside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

788accidents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i didnt change the litter at all it was the same the whole time

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does she stand outside the box and poopy, or is she in the box and poopies over the side. If it is the latter, than maybe getting a covered box would help.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get another litterbox and put it next to the first one. Some cats like to have separate toilets. Yours might have decided that it wanted this setup. It's good to be Queen! Good luck.

788accidents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Umm, im not sure if thats all nessecary bcuz just 1 months ago my cat has been pooping and peeing in the same litter box i use now, and in the same location, and the same schedule of cleaning, so im really really confused why shes has suddenly changed, and just today, she pooped a tiny bit into the litterbox then the rest somewhere else in the same room .. i dont know why shes so weird

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 788Accidents

Umm, im not sure if thats all nessecary bcuz just 1 months ago my cat has been pooping and peeing in the same litter box i use now, and in the same location, and the same schedule of cleaning, so im really really confused why shes has suddenly changed, and just today, she pooped a tiny bit into the litterbox then the rest somewhere else in the same room .. i dont know why shes so weird
Basically she changed because cats do that. You should always have one litterbox per cat plus one extra. So if she is your only cat then you need two boxes. What is the difference anyways? There really isn't any problems with having two seperate boxes. Offer that to her and I bet ya a buck she will change her litterbox habits.

788accidents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
but why does a single cat need 2 litter boxes??? my parents are thinking its a useless waste but you might have ur reasons so can you tell me?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When a cat is outside eliminating, she moves to one area and pees. Then she buries that and moves a short distance away and poops in another place. This is an innate behavior in all cats. They do this to keep away predators, and although you know there are no predators in your home, your kitten doesn't and is doing something genetically implanted.

Your kitten is growing up and outgrowing the need to just one box. Your kitten does indeed need two boxes, and perhaps when she is full grown you will find that a "normal size" litter pan isn't big enough. Then you might look at the large rubbermaid containers with low sides as a litter pan alternative.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats I have had since he was born always used the litter box, until one day, 3 years later, he started pooping just outside the litter box. After ruling out any medical issues, I added more boxes and from the very day I added more, all outside pooping issues stopped.

xian120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem with Otis, I got him a huge litter box, and he uses both sides of it, left for #1 and right for #2.. been over a year now.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's some information from our members about this problem:

Here are some things to try for cats who poop outside of the litter box.

Pooping outside the box is often a sign that the cat is sick. So, a vet visit will be a good idea. If the vet rules out medical problems, try some of these solutions:

If they poop in the shower or bathtub, statistics have shown this is health related- a vet visit is warranted and quickly.

Pooping outside the box will often happen when the cat has had painful bowel movements. The cat associates the pain with the litter box and becomes afraid to use the litter box to poop in. If you notice that the feces are hard and dry, try adding a little Libbyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s raw pumpkin to her diet or give a little hairball medicine on a daily basis until the stool becomes a little softer.

There are many cats who refuse to pee and poop in the same box. Simply adding a second box often solves this problem. (scoop both boxes daily)

Also, many cats will do this if they don't think the box is clean enough. Just imagine yourself sitting and concentrating on a toilet full of excrement....not a pleasant thought! So, make sure you keep the litter box very clean (scoop daily).

For cats who poop just outside the box: This is often due to the box being too small for the cat so the cat stands in the box, but her bottom hangs outside while pooping. Switching to an extra large box (such as a rubbermaid underbed storage container) will solve this problem.

Also...she may be telling you that she just isn't comfortable with where you have the boxes right now. It is possible that if you put a second box in a completely different room, she may start using it instead of pooping where she is pooping. If the boxes are in a place where she feels vulnerable while she is having to sit and concentrate she won't use the box there. A quick pee in a scary spot isn't as uncomfortable as taking a poop, which takes longer and makes the cat feel more vulnerable. For some cats, they prefer their boxes to be out in the open so they can see the comings and goings of others...this way they can easily escape if they feel it is necessary. Other cats prefer hidden boxes where no one can see them while they are doing their thing. If the litter boxes are in a closet...this may be her way of telling you that at least one of them needs to be in a more open place. If this is the case, you can put it in a corner of a room and then surround the box with pretty house plants so that it isn't noticeable. Or vice versa; if the boxes are in an open spot, you might need to move one to a more hidden area.

if a cat is pooping on a familiar object it is probably stress related. You then have to find out where that stress is and eliminate it.

What are you feeding your cat? If it is cheap not very nutritious the fumes could be noxious to your cat and make him go elsewhere.

Using litter box liners? Throw them out, they annoy most cats as they make noise and get caught in their claws.

The pan must be far enough away from the cat's food and water

If using clumping litter, check between the pads of the feet for small balls of litter. If a cat steps in pee, then covers it, these balls sometimes accumulate causing problems for the cat.

Is your cat happy with the litter? One way to tell is watch as she digs in it, the more she digs and the more the litter flies, the happier the cat is.

Last but not least, try putting a box where she is defecating, and if she starts using it regularly then you can work on moving it to your desired location. Move it tiny bits at a time, like 1-2 inches per day, so she doesn't really notice that it's moving. Little by little you'll get it to the place you like.

Good luck!

788accidents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i tried all of those she has no medical problems... and shes still not doing it right.. maybe i should lock her up in the bathroom with a litter box ?