My girls are fighting

gwenkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I hope someone out there has some advice for me. I have 3 cats. Jenny (my princess) is 16, Belle (the middle child) is 6, and Anya is 3. Jenny has always been queen of the house, even dictating to my husband and I. Belle was a rescue cat from a local shelter. Belle is a large cat and Jenny is a little slighter. They both weigh about the same though. For a while now Jenny and Belle have been fighting. At first it was nothing major, just hissing and spitting at each other. Now they have moved on to growling and fighting. The way it usually plays out is: Jenny is laying around somewhere and Belle comes over and sits down. Belle stares at Jenny. Jenny growls at Belle. Belle stares more, Jenny hisses and then Belle attacks her. They end up running through the house growling and fighting for a few minutes and then they either settle down, or I go seperate them. No one has been hurt yet. My first thought was that Belle was trying to become dominate cat and challenging Jenny. Any thoughts out there? How to I stop this? I really want peace in the house again. BTW - Anya is never involved in any of this. She hides from them until they are done. Thank you for your advice.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say as long as no blood is being drawn then let them be. If they are trying to reestablish the alpha cat order then they need to do that. You cannot stop them or tell them who is alpha in the house.

A little bit of hissing growling and chasing sounds like play to me though. My cats will do this stuff while playing and then they are fine. They also hiss and growl to warn each other when they had enough, sometimes the others will ignore that and persist. They are like kids kinda, let them go unless someone is getting hurt, and by that I mean serious blood is being drawn.

Also, are they all spayed? That can make a huge difference.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I would say as long as no blood is being drawn then let them be. If they are trying to reestablish the alpha cat order then they need to do that. You cannot stop them or tell them who is alpha in the house.

A little bit of hissing growling and chasing sounds like play to me though. My cats will do this stuff while playing and then they are fine. They also hiss and growl to warn each other when they had enough, sometimes the others will ignore that and persist. They are like kids kinda, let them go unless someone is getting hurt, and by that I mean serious blood is being drawn.

Also, are they all spayed? That can make a huge difference.
I'm inclinded to agree.