Ripley was making really weird noises at another cat

bronte73

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were staring at each other through my big front window so there was glass between them. Neither looked upset: no fluffled up fur or hissing/growling/posturing. However, Ripley was making this weird humming/moaning sound. Again, just calmly sitting there, but making this weird sound loud enough for my husband to hear him while he was getting ready in the bathroom. What does it mean???

I have never heard a cat make that sound before. Any ideas??? THX!!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're describing a noise cats make when they're excited about something but can't do anything about it. Sometimes I make a noise like that, too, under similar circumstances.

phantomsr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

I think you're describing a noise cats make when they're excited about something but can't do anything about it. Sometimes I make a noise like that, too, under similar circumstances.
I'd love to see that. Sitting at the window looking at someone outside and making all kinds of funny noises.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pretty typical reaction when one cat sees another cat is some sort of noise. There are all sorts of sounds they can make. Growl, hiss, moan, chattering, meowing, whining. Cats make so many different sounds. I really wouldn't worry if you were.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was even a video posted on YOuTube of a cat making odd moaning 'talking' sounds at what was obviously something offscreen. The noises were extraordinary but I am told they are mostly normal.