Anyone else notice...

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, Have any of you fine people noticed that the ads on TCS are getting bigger, and more are popping up in, say..the Middle of a Thread? (Of course I'm talking to the non-paying members)
But really..Are we being socked with ads now for ever?
For me, everywhere I look there are more ads on here, and they come right up in the middle of the thread, or they are much more bigger on top of the thread.
Is it just me?

dicknleah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have a popup blocker? I am a subsriber so I dont have to deal with it but having a popup blocker is a must.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a paying member (sorry
) but I have a popup blocker that helps with the ads - I don't have that problem.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What kind of pop up blockers do you guys use? I installed one, it seems like a long time ago, but I've noticed lately they're getting kind of bad (at any website, really).

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
will pop up blockers really work because they aren't popping up in a seperate window or anything, they are just stuck right in the middle of a thread. And they say "Premium members can turn off these ads! Click here to become a premium member!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

will pop up blockers really work because they aren't popping up in a seperate window or anything, they are just stuck right in the middle of a thread. And they say "Premium members can turn off these ads! Click here to become a premium member!"
Yeah...What she said.
It's not like "popping" up. At all, it seems as if it's a new part of my page. And I do have a pop-up blocker.
But yes, It's just either stuck in the middle of the page, or it makes the ad on top just that much bigger as well. Almost as if they just added another ad to the page, and it gets inserted wherever it feels for that page.
I'm glad other people noticed it too though

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on what security/firewall software you are using you may be able to block a lot of those display ads- if that is what you are talking about. Look around in the options or configuration dialog boxes for whatever firewall or security software you are using. I'm not a paying member either but the only thing I see at the top of the page is the line about blocking ads and becoming a paying member.

I'm using the Zone Alarm firewall and have it set to block all display and pop up ads. I also like Zone Alarm because when I check my computer on the Shields Up site I have no leaks.

Both Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers can be set to block pop ups also.

Jean

Later- I spoke too soon! I just noticed the new Google ads in the middle of two threads.
I guess it is just a new "feature".

Jean

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

Later- I spoke too soon! I just noticed the new Google ads in the middle of two threads.
I guess it is just a new "feature".

Jean

Well..It's wierd, Because it's new to me, and I dun like it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guys, I really think it is just something that will always appear attached to the threads unless you subscribe. I think that is the point, to basically annoy you into subscribing.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Guys, I'm sorry that you find advertising annoying, but these forums cost a bundle to run and are a business that needs to be monetized and make a profit
Yes, there have been some changes, in the effort of making our adspace more profitable.

We keep the ads at up to 3 text ads per page + one banner. No pop-ups for anyone (even though they pay a whole lot more) and you have the option to become paying members and turn off the ads (plus some other bonuses).

I never use ad blocking software, being all too aware of how costly it can be to run large websites. If you're getting a website for free, it doesn't mean it's free to run, it means it's profit is made by advertising. If everyone were to block ads, then you wouldn't be getting anything for free on the internet anymore

Hope you understand.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Hmmm Fair enough.....but can I ask why you run competitions for TCS logo's.

If this IS a business then your in it to make a profit ...right??

So why run competitions to Design a Tcs Logo.?

Those logo's would probably cost an arm and a leg to get a designer to do it for you.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

Those logo's would probably cost an arm and a leg to get a designer to do it for you.
I think you just answered your own question.
While I haven't got around to subscribing yet, I get lots of information and interest from this site and am more than happy to contribute in this small way if it helps. (and it was fun)
Anne

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graphic designers are not cheap and are not familiar with the website, there are people on here who have great graphic skills but do it just as a hobby and are happy enough to get a tshirt or whatever with their logo/design on it, and others who do graphic design and are happy for something that is used to show in their portfolio.

So by using people on the site, who may not be as "advanced" as a paid designer, you get a design that really is based on the feeling of the site (which only the members know) rather than keywords to do with the site that a designer would work from.

As far as the advertising, its annoying but there is an easy way to get rid of it - subscribe. Personally, I am not a fan of adverts that obviously read my IP because they mention the city I am in (regardless of if I am at work or home - it can tell the difference) but apart from the new middle of the thread adverts, they are mostly unobtrusive, and if you click on them once in a while, TCS gets money which means less need for so many adverts.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anne;1310308 said:
Guys, I'm sorry that you find advertising annoying, but these forums cost a bundle to run and are a business that needs to be monetized and make a profit
Yes, there have been some changes, in the effort of making our adspace more profitable.= QUOTE]

I suspect most of us understand that operating a forum is expensive. As Anne said that is why web sites are using ads. It has become a necessary part of doing business. But because some of the ads, particularly the pop ups and animated ones can be annoying blocking software has become increasingly popular.

I'm a new member of TCS although I had been on the site many times reading forums before I joined. So for me the new ads, while surprising at first, are really not a problem. If I don't want to read them I just scroll past them. For long time users I can understand that the change might require a greater adjustment. It's like anything you've become accustomed to - change requires adjustment.

And for what it's worth- Spysweeper is blocking something on the site. Everytime Firefox opens the initial TCS page I get a message from Spysweeper stating that it has blocked media.fastclick.net.

Jean
kitty mom to seven furballs

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

Sorry about the late reply

Yes, this is a business and I am in it to make a profit (though not only that btw, one can run a business for more than just proift). I love talking about web publishing and my internet work (I am involved in many other projects as well). So, if anyone's interested in what it costs to run a forum, how to go about it, etc, I would be more than happy to help! Just start a thread about it in the lounge and drop me a PM - I would love to provide some input and help anyone who's interested in venturing into web publishing.

We run competitions for various reasons, getting members involved with the site, exploring local talents too. And yes, it's also a way to save on costs. As I said, sometimes you can have more than one reason for doing something