castration ????

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have a very timid 11 month old male cat,ganon,we got him with 2 others from a farm,as far as i could tell,they had little or no interaction with humans,when we got them home 2 were ok but ganon spent a week under a cabinet.ok,he got over that,and even when he allows himself,really enjoys being petted.but if anyone makes a sudden movement or even coughs,whoosh,hes gone.when he lets me pick him up he is so tence,like a coiled spring.hes so nervous.im wandering would having him castrated make him beter or worse????? i just wish hed mellow out a bit,the others are very laid back.its such a shame.ideally what he needs is a
but im thinking another remedy,odviously!!!!!!! got him when he was 9 wks old.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having your little boy neutered is the very best thing to do for the sake of his health, behavior, and prevention of unwanted pregnancies. With Behavior being the main theme of your inquiry regarding neutering, let's move to our Behavior Forum.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All male cats should be neutered unless part of a papered registered breeding program.

So, yes, neuter your cat, and the other ones if they aren't.

That said, neutering can help ease problems like roaming, fighting, and spraying, sometimes certain types of aggression, but it is not a cure-all for behavioral problems.

This kitty needs love and patience in order to come round and be affectionate. Feed him, clean his litter box, tend to his needs (scratching posts, toys, comfy hide-aways, etc) and otherwise ignore him until he comes to you for affection. It seems counterintuitive, but he was poorly socialized for life with humans and will take some extra time and effort to become a part of the family.

Also, I read in another of your posts that all of these kittens have been sneezing since birth. That is not normal, and they need to be seen by a vet. They may have URIs or something else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mouse ganon and gaspard,are the cats we got from the farm at 9 weeks. they are 11 mnths now.mouse had a litter 5 weeks ago,3 kits,yes they have been sneezing,they saw a vet last monday and got a clean bill of health.i will get ganon and gaspard and mouse neutered in due course.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why was Mouse allowed to have a litter? I understand accidents happen but if they are just barn cats and littermates it seems but I am unsure of that only assuming because they came from the same place and they are the same age, then you should have been extra careful...That is really bad for her health...plus the kittens are inbred...Please keep her totally seperate from the boys from now on. Never interacting at all until she is spayed. Also if you neuter the males first they can STILL get her pregnant for a month afterwards so ideally get the female done first. Is there a reason you have waited so long do have any of them altered?

I would start booking all the appointments soon as the kittens are able to be spayed and neutered at 8 weeks old so they are approaching their time as well. Please do not wait until over 5 months to alter the kittens, you don't want double inbreeding and more kittens you are responsible for...Since you are now responsible for vetting all your cats as well as all the kittens before rehoming them.

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we are keeping the kittens and they will all be loved and adored by myself and my husband and my 2 children.mouse became pregnant whilst taking a contreceptive pill.the father is a neighbours cat.yes i agree we should have been more careful,and i feel ive been well and truely told off.however i love my cats and care for them well.i dont think having 6 cats is o.t.t.we will def be making sure they are All neutered/spade.i think ive been mis-judged.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If only there were more people out there who took responsibility for the kittens the way you will! That's so great to hear! Even though it wasn't the best thing for her to have a litter so young, well, accidents happen, and you were trying to prevent it. I don't think your earlier posts were very clear about who the father was, maybe leading to the idea that it was her brother. They don't have that pill in the US. It has a lot of dangerous side effects, much more so than the human BC. And from what you say it's also not very effective! It's great that you're getting her spayed. Honestly, your first post sounds like you think that having cats neutered and spayed is not the norm... but you've since cleared that up I think.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I have 6 cats too, I don't think its too much. I was just making sure you are aware of the additional responsibility and the fact that you have to keep the females from the males is the most important thing I was getting.

That is great you took them all in to care for them. And that you are going to keep them all, but that is just additional reasons why you have to be extra careful.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are contraceptive pills for cats?

It's much easier to have them spayed. I appreciate the fact that you are keeping all the kittens, but if people need multiple cats there are plenty looking for homes; no need to breed them yourself.
And the 'pill' obviously didn't work.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo-- there is a contraceptive pill for cats, but it is not approved in the US and for good reason. It has some serious, horrible side effects. She's getting her spayed, and this was pretty clearly an accident. I think she's pretty aware that the pill didn't work, now with her hair full of kittens. Some of our most established members have had accidental litters. I really don't see how this is her fault, aside from allowing the cats outside, but that's the norm in the UK. She thought there was no chance that her girl would get pregnant.

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Gizmo-- there is a contraceptive pill for cats, but it is not approved in the US and for good reason. It has some serious, horrible side effects. She's getting her spayed, and this was pretty clearly an accident. I think she's pretty aware that the pill didn't work, now with her hair full of kittens. Some of our most established members have had accidental litters. I really don't see how this is her fault, aside from allowing the cats outside, but that's the norm in the UK. She thought there was no chance that her girl would get pregnant.
correct....and thankyou!!!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I posted I hadn't realized the cat was on the pill so I was like, duh what do you think was going to happen hehe. But I have heard a lot of horror stories about the pill and it's side affects and the fact that it doesn't always work. Plus using a pill in place of spaying doesn't cut back on the risk of cancers that cats can easily get from not being spayed. And the boys, I am suprised they are not spraying all over your house hehe I couldn't imagine having a house full of unneutered males
what a mess. Plus that does nothing for their risks of getting cancers from not being neutered.

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

When I posted I hadn't realized the cat was on the pill so I was like, duh what do you think was going to happen hehe. But I have heard a lot of horror stories about the pill and it's side affects and the fact that it doesn't always work. Plus using a pill in place of spaying doesn't cut back on the risk of cancers that cats can easily get from not being spayed. And the boys, I am suprised they are not spraying all over your house hehe I couldn't imagine having a house full of unneutered males
what a mess. Plus that does nothing for their risks of getting cancers from not being neutered.
no. none of them spray thank goodness!!! and as i have already said they will ALL be spayed/neutered i didnt realise there was a cancer risk.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow that is really cool that they dont hehe I even had a female that sprayed at one point. what a pain that is. I am glad you are getting them taken care of, they will be much happier that way

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

wow that is really cool that they dont hehe I even had a female that sprayed at one point. what a pain that is. I am glad you are getting them taken care of, they will be much happier that way
yeah i agree with you.its just that when i was 12 i had a she/cat that i took to the vet to be spayed and she died under anaesthetic.spose ive got a problem with it,but i will do it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ohh no that is so sad. That is an extremely rare thing to happen though. It probaby wasn't any fault of the vets though, she probably had some other unknown illness (the kind that wouldn't have been known unless extensive bloodowrk and tests were done which most people don't just routinely have done and you probably wouldn't have known until she was older and was actually affected by the disease and taken to the vet for it) where her body couldn't handle the anesthesia. I am sorry you lost her.

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

ohh no that is so sad. That is an extremely rare thing to happen though. It probaby wasn't any fault of the vets though, she probably had some other unknown illness (the kind that wouldn't have been known unless extensive bloodowrk and tests were done which most people don't just routinely have done and you probably wouldn't have known until she was older and was actually affected by the disease and taken to the vet for it) where her body couldn't handle the anesthesia. I am sorry you lost her.
yeah.she was called ba-ba.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww cute name, I think of babaloo, like as in Ricky Ricardo

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Jen mentioned, you can get pre-anesthesia bloodwork done. Many people won't even get a dental without it. If you have the extra money, it would help put your mind at ease and ensure that all your little babies do well this time.

I'm sorry for your loss before. What a darling name.

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to take the risk to be properly yelld at.
First I want to make clear that all my grown cats are spayed/neuterd and I find it the best solution.
The pill is not allways a bad temporary solution. It normally works very well as long as it is provided the same day every week and the cat for sure keeps it.
I was completly unaware that cats could get neuterd/spayed at the age of ten weeks. The "rule" in Sweden when I did this the last time was to neuter/spay your cats when they for sure was sexually mature. I neuterd my little guys when they were six month and spayed the girls the first time they said meuwo, in a willing way - at around 7 month.
I read up on the matter and found that it is normally ok to spay/neuter after the age of 10 weeks but long term studies shows that the bones doesn't harden as well on cats who misses out on puberty as on cats that has a normal puberty. This gives an increased risk of broken bones.
Of course you always have to chose the least bad option but I will for sure wait a while with my little ones.