Hairy rugs, mats & blankets

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we all know cats love to sit, sleep, wash and play on rugs, mats & blankets
and our clothes if they get the chance

I am forever having hair problems in my washing machine -
whats the easiest way to prevent vast amounts of cat hair accumalating in the washing machine filter !!!
Oh BTW, where I live in Spain we dont have laundromats !!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really like that quote "If you don't want hair on your clothes, don't sit on the furniture."

ok, seriously, perhaps you'd want to get one of those defur sticky rollers to remove some of the hair from your items before washing them.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can purchase a Zoom Groom rubber cat-grooming toy, it's just as good at removing the hair from the furniture as it is from the cat.

If that does not work there are special hair-removal sponges that roll the hair into little threads. Try a kitchen sponge, slightly moistened; it may have the same results.

Either way you should brush the blankets before putting them in the washer or dryer.

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my chairs get covered in fur, I get out the sticky packing tape. I cover the chair with it, when its removed, the hair goes with it. I have to do this every few weeks.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, lint brushes are a nessecity with any pets, lol! We're cheap though, and use the packing tape as well =) We also throw those little lint catcher balls in the washing machine, you can get them at any dollar store! I know you said you're in Spain, so I'm not sure if they carry them there!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lint remover attachment that I connect to the hose on my vacuum and then just vacuum up the hair. I found after using that that cats leave more than just hair behind. The first time I used it I filled the vacuum cannister with hair and cat dander that had accumulated over the years. It was rather gross.

My furniture which was black when I bought it, had turned a dingy grey over the years, but was black again after I used that lint remover attachment. I couldn't believe the difference.

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of it. I saw a commercial for it on the TV several years ago and decided to order it because the regular upholstery brush wasn't doing a great job in getting the hair.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

I really like that quote "If you don't want hair on your clothes, don't sit on the furniture."

ok, seriously, perhaps you'd want to get one of those defur sticky rollers to remove some of the hair from your items before washing them.
Great minds think a lot!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use "used" dryer sheets to get hair off furniture too!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GirlSetsFiyah

Yes, lint brushes are a nessecity with any pets, lol! We're cheap though, and use the packing tape as well =) We also throw those little lint catcher balls in the washing machine, you can get them at any dollar store! I know you said you're in Spain, so I'm not sure if they carry them there!
thanx all lots of good tips there

But, these lint catcher balls sound the thing for me............I find using tape, rollers etc very time consuming (I know its lazy) I usually shake the mat, blanket etc as hard as I can to get some of the hair and then just throw it into the washing machine............so do you know if theres a web page for these things ? Or has any of our UK friends seen these anywhere ??