TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Hairy rugs, mats & blankets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hairy rugs, mats & blankets

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
So we all know cats love to sit, sleep, wash and play on rugs, mats & blankets and our clothes if they get the chance
I am forever having hair problems in my washing machine - whats the easiest way to prevent vast amounts of cat hair accumalating in the washing machine filter !!!
Oh BTW, where I live in Spain we dont have laundromats !!
post #2 of 12
I really like that quote "If you don't want hair on your clothes, don't sit on the furniture."
ok, seriously, perhaps you'd want to get one of those defur sticky rollers to remove some of the hair from your items before washing them.
post #3 of 12
If you can purchase a Zoom Groom rubber cat-grooming toy, it's just as good at removing the hair from the furniture as it is from the cat.

If that does not work there are special hair-removal sponges that roll the hair into little threads. Try a kitchen sponge, slightly moistened; it may have the same results.

Either way you should brush the blankets before putting them in the washer or dryer.
post #4 of 12
When my chairs get covered in fur, I get out the sticky packing tape. I cover the chair with it, when its removed, the hair goes with it. I have to do this every few weeks.
post #5 of 12
i personally like the Pet Hair Magnet, especially for furniture items - works really well, better than tape, IMO!
post #6 of 12
I have a Pet Hair Magnet. They really do work well.
post #7 of 12
Yes, lint brushes are a nessecity with any pets, lol! We're cheap though, and use the packing tape as well =) We also throw those little lint catcher balls in the washing machine, you can get them at any dollar store! I know you said you're in Spain, so I'm not sure if they carry them there!
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
i personally like the Pet Hair Magnet, especially for furniture items - works really well, better than tape, IMO!
Hmmm, I wonder if an ordinary squeegee would work just as well!
post #9 of 12
I have a lint remover attachment that I connect to the hose on my vacuum and then just vacuum up the hair. I found after using that that cats leave more than just hair behind. The first time I used it I filled the vacuum cannister with hair and cat dander that had accumulated over the years. It was rather gross.

My furniture which was black when I bought it, had turned a dingy grey over the years, but was black again after I used that lint remover attachment. I couldn't believe the difference.

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of it. I saw a commercial for it on the TV several years ago and decided to order it because the regular upholstery brush wasn't doing a great job in getting the hair.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra View Post
I really like that quote "If you don't want hair on your clothes, don't sit on the furniture."
ok, seriously, perhaps you'd want to get one of those defur sticky rollers to remove some of the hair from your items before washing them.
Great minds think a lot!
post #11 of 12
You can use "used" dryer sheets to get hair off furniture too!!
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlSetsFiyah View Post
Yes, lint brushes are a nessecity with any pets, lol! We're cheap though, and use the packing tape as well =) We also throw those little lint catcher balls in the washing machine, you can get them at any dollar store! I know you said you're in Spain, so I'm not sure if they carry them there!

thanx all lots of good tips there
But, these lint catcher balls sound the thing for me............I find using tape, rollers etc very time consuming (I know its lazy) I usually shake the mat, blanket etc as hard as I can to get some of the hair and then just throw it into the washing machine............so do you know if theres a web page for these things ? Or has any of our UK friends seen these anywhere ??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Hairy rugs, mats & blankets