Help! I Dont Know What To Do.. :(

pootyapplewater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten Spazz is a cutie, though can be violent during play.
And i have read that the best way to stop him from clawing and biting during play is to give a firm "No." and to stop totaly for a little, which i have been doing...
But recently he has been getting onto my table and distroying my moms lamp shade, as well as other things around the house.
I dont know what to do! I have been trying to get him to stop by giving a firm "No." and moving him from the area, but it just keeps happening.
I dont know what to do cause my mom is getting mad at ME for him distroying her stuff...

This has been going on longer then the scratching and biting of my hands when playing, and that has died down.. But this hasent.
Does anyone have any ideas on what i can do?

Thanks!
Your truely,
Pooty

rum tum tugger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how old is your cat? There have been a few posts on this board pertaining to this problem... my experinces is that the cats will grow out of this phase. If I caught my cat doing something he shouldn't be doing I would simply try to distract his attention (picking him up and patting him, etc). Also toys are great distractions too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pootyapplewater

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rum Tum Tugger

how old is your cat? There have been a few posts on this board pertaining to this problem... my experinces is that the cats will grow out of this phase. If I caught my cat doing something he shouldn't be doing I would simply try to distract his attention (picking him up and patting him, etc). Also toys are great distractions too!
He's about 10 weeks
Im hoping he will grow out of it. Thanks for the advice!

shadowsoul

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
10 weeks, don't worry, he has a lot of time to grow out of that phase
Oscar and all the cats I owned are different, some will always play roughly.

Try placing coins in a can, and whenever he "misbehaves", shake the can then say NO. It worked for Oscar, my, he still bites when playing, but not as often as he did when he was a kitten

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do what you would for a 2 yr old toddler - remove as much as possible anything and everything that you care about, that's possibly attractive to them, that could harm them, etc. and just wait it out!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd keep the cat in a separate part of the house and put the breakables away until he's outgrown this. He is a baby. A baby with claws and very good coordination. The house should be kittenproofed and that means getting rid of dangerous objects. It also means watching the kitten to see that he does not get into trouble.
And they hate
Ihaving air blown in their face. If you don't have a squirt gun handy, just purse your lips and blow a stream of air at him rapidly, and he should stop whatever he's doing wrong immediately!

There are cages that contain play toys, etc. that can be used to keep the cat in while you are away from home. I'd invest in one if you want to save the lampshades.

gwenkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is just a baby and will probably outgrow all this. You can try getting him a scratching post and a couple other toys to distract him. The other thing to remember is that since he is a male he will have a tendency to nip when he is excited or wants to show affection. That is just how some of them are. Give him time and try to keep him awy from your mom's stuff and you should be fine.