I'm so proud!

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yesterday Wick instantly grasped the concept of a scratching post!

She's 12, so I thought it'd take forever to train her. All she's had in the past is this ugly old awful chair (at my brother's, which we got rid of), and before that she just clawed whatever she wanted (with her old owners). Well we bought one of those slanted catposts with a cardboard scratching insert, and she seemed pretty clueless. she sat on the top, and picked the catnip out of it (we sprinkled some on to attract her). Well, two days later I "showed" her how to use it, and she IMMEDIATELY started scratching it! I'm sooo proud of her!!

I've been trying to get her used to having her claws clipped, as well, and she's starting to get it. I've gotten 3 of her claws done, one each day, and she doesn't struggle anymore! And I bought her a collar (first time she's ever had one) and she almost seems to like it. I think she thinks we bought her a necklace

Also she used to wake us up all night wanting attention, but the last couple nights the BF and I have been pretending to not wake up and she's not being doing it nearly so much! I love this cat!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How wonderful. Did you rescue an older cat? That is a terrific thing. I always feel so sorry for the older cats in shelters, who have probably many more wonderful years to give the right owner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone

Originally Posted by Anya

Wow. Well done. If she's anything like my cats she'll still claw the furniture too.
She did try to claw the loveseat- once. But I was sitting right there and said "NO. You scratch over THERE (pointing to post) and you KNOW IT." she stopped, walked over to the post, and started scratching it. Haven't had a problem since

Originally Posted by gizmocat

How wonderful. Did you rescue an older cat? That is a terrific thing. I always feel so sorry for the older cats in shelters, who have probably many more wonderful years to give the right owner.
Kind of- she was my brothers, and he moved to Japan, so instead of him giving the poor thing to the humane society (she'd have been euthanized for sure!) we adopted her from him. However, we're looking for another middle aged cat to be her companion. We're too inexperienced to deal with a kitten!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful!!!!
And I'm so glad that you took in that kitty.
Few people go to a shelter to adopt an older cat

Some years ago my cat had died and I was looking to adopt another kitty. I saw in the newspaper an ad where someone was giving away a 10 year old cat. The ad was written from the perspective of the cat.... it was so cute.

It turns out the guy had the cat from when she was a small kitten and had taken very good care of her, but his job responsibilities had increased and he wasn't home as much and he thought Toby was lonely. He provided me with a detailed health history for her and the name of his vet who had looked after her since she was a baby. She was pure black and part persion with long silky hair and big green eyes! I couldn't resist her.

I had her for almost 4 years before I had her euthanized
because she was in end stage renal failure and her prescription diet was no longer helping. I asked about dialysis but such treatment wasn't available at that time, not sure if it is available now either.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am happy that you adopted an older cat. I adopted Gizmo when she was four and a half and she's been a real joy. I work all the time so could not deal with a kitten.