7lb 4 month old kitten

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
is that a lot of weight? he is almost twice the size as his sister (4 lbs). if anyone knows what the average weight for kittens, let me know

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my kitten who is 4 month's old only weigh's 3lb's 8oz that is very very big for a kitten well i think it is anyway has it been vet checked? they may say about changing his diet or putting him on a diet i don't know much about weight's in cat's my cat's sister weigh's 4lb's and my vet say's this is fine weight's for them lol good luck it could just be his goona be a big cat

anya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that male kittens are usually bigger than the female's. But 7lb does sound big. Is your kittens getting enough exercise? Also has he been wormed recently?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is on a 4 month old. I don't think that large breeds like maine coons or ragdolls will be that heavy at that age.

You'd better keep an eye on him. Is he neutered yet?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Davidson is 3.5 months old and weighs 4lbs and he's still pretty tiny. I think 7lbs seems a bit big - has he been to a vet lately?

jessienkitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Buddha is 4 months old and he weighs about 4-4.5 lbs. i think thats a little much for a kitten.

nekokaasan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Spike was four, almost five months old, he weighed 6.6 pounds, but the vet said he was very healthy, he was just stocky, I guess? Built big?

He's 13.3 pounds now at a year old and in excellent health.

Yikes, beware the commas. ^^;;

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What breed of cat do you have? If you can post a picture, we can help you determine the breed if you're unsure. I've fostered many large breeds- including a maine coon (which by the way, she was actually pretty tiny- now lives with my sister)...and i currently am fostering a ragdoll mix- at 3 weeks, he weights around 10oz...which is a bit big, but withing normal range. The average kitten should weigh around 1lb for every month of life until they reach sexual maturity (usually around 8 months)....so idealy, at four months, your kitten should weight approx. 4-5lbs...give or take a few ounces. If it is a larger breed of kitten, it is normal for it to weigh a bit more....but 7lbs is a bit much. Has your kitten been dewormed by a vetrinarian with Strongent (the otc dewormers do not work )? Worms can cause a kitten to eat more and thus weigh more. I would have your kitten examined by a vetrinarian to rule out illness. And if illness is ruled out and the kitten is healthy, i would suggest just monitoring it's food intake (you don't want to put a kitten that young on a "diet"). It could just be that he is a larger kitty- often times, male cats are larger than females. The main thing is to make sure he is within a healthy weight once a liscenced vetrinarian rules out worms or any other illness. Also, how often and how much are you feeding your kitten? Are you giving it dry food or soft food or both? I prefer to use Purina Kitten chow for my foster kittens up until around 7-8 months....once they reach around 7 1/2 months i start gradually introducing them to adult food...but your kitten is too young for that now. Keep us posted

mickee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine are orphans, but are at about 14 weeks old the vet says, so about 3.5 months and only weigh 2.6 pounds and they gained the 6 ounces this week. I do wish I knew what a good weight should be. I cannot locate this information anywhere.

Mickee

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, he does look large! He's gonna be a big cat, I think he might have Maine Coon in him. He's very handsome.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he may wind up being a 18-20 lb cat when grown; however I would NOT free feed him at all - I'd have a set amount of food for him and ignore his "whining" about being starved....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well his father which I only seen once was pretty big and hairy like him too. His mom which is a calico is about 8-9lbs...same size as him but with more meat on her. you cant see this in the pics but he has this hair behind his ears that sticks out. Ill post another pic of my cat family when they get a little bigger...thanks for the replies.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely assume that his father was a larger breed cat- probably a maine coon mix. Since you alredy know the momma was a calico ( which a calico isn't a breed of cat, just a coat pattern- the momma is most likely a dsh with a calico coat pattern
), it's safe to assume he's a mane coon /dsh or dlh mix. Having a larger breed of feline in his gene pool will definitely make him more prone to be a larger cat. There is nothing wrong with that
.. From the pictures he seems to be quite roubust and healthy. Has he been examined by a veterinarian yet? If so, did they deworm him with Strongent ? ( it's very inexpensive to have the vet do, and is definitely something he needs to have done
otc dewormers to not work ). Also, while you're there, i would go ahead and discuss neutering with your vet - he is at a great age to be neutered and it will prevent potential behavioral issues down the road
)/ Other than that, i would feed him at scheduled times throughout the day according to his age and the vet's recommendations. He is way to young to be placed on any sort of diet, so just monitor his food intake instead
. He is gorgeous!!!! Also, the tufts of fur you mentioned on his ear are completely normal, and are very common in Mane coons and long haird breeds
. If he is mixed with maine coon- his full coat will not come in until after he's around a year old- and when it does- it will be GORGEOUS!!!
Also, it is normal for a maine coon x's coat to darken a wee bit as they age as well. Overall - he looks to be quite healthy, just a large kitty
. I would still take him to the vet though and discuss the previously mentioned things with the vet to preserve the overall healthy of your goegeous new kitty. Does he have a name yet? Keep us posted! Your kitty is soo handsome!

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah he got fixed and the vet checked him out. his name is Achilles

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is quite a big boy! He's so handsome!
Wow. . .my 4 month olds are probably like 3 lbs. What a cutie. I don't think there's anything to worry about with him. He's probably just got some big kitty genes.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JohnTS71

yeah he got fixed and the vet checked him out. his name is Achilles
That's wonderful that he's already been neutered! I love his name by the way! Achilles is a great name for such a handsome little guy like that! Keep us posted on how the little guy is doing
. He's lucky to have such a concerned and caring owner!

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if you havent read my story on these kittens you might wanna read it
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85389

there is a priceless pic i took of them that I never posted..
they just finished nursing and mama moved away to eat..so i took this pic

one of the left is Achilles the one on the far right is stitches.

my friends daughters named the other boy and girl "dragon and sunshine"
they are 3 weeks old here

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JohnTS71

if you havent read my story on these kittens you might wanna read it
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85389

there is a priceless pic i took of them that I never posted..
they just finished nursing and mama moved away to eat..so i took this pic

one of the left is Achilles the one on the far right is stitches.

my friends daughters named the other boy and girl "dragon and sunshine"
they are 3 weeks old here
Thankyou for sharing your story! I read your other thread and all i have to say is- OMG- that's aweful about the lawnmower! I'm glad your wife saw what was going on and stepped in to help them
. Those kitties are lucky to have you and your family! I'm glad to hear the momma and Achilles are staying with you and your family!
That's wonderful!