What would you have done?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are only about 16 people in my office today (we have somthing called summer fridays, work an extra 45min/day get every second friday off)

Anyhow, I printed some things off at the printer in the other room and was suprised to find some papers left by our unit manager in the printer. I had to look at them to see where my pages started and hers ended.
I was shocked to see that it had her recomendarions for one of the top positions in the office in it which I know a whole bunch of people in the office had applied for. (none of which are in the office today thankfully)
I didn't realize it was confidential at the time and mentioned it to a freind at lunch.
I am hopeing I don't get into trouble for looking at it, it was the Unit manager that left it in the printer, she new it was extreemly confiderntial, and she left it there for anyone in the office to find.
Because I mentioned it to someone else in the office I am scared that I will get the sit down talking to on Monday morning.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? (p.s. I'm not notmally a gossip... I don't know what made me think to mention it at lunch.)

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you talk to the person again, who you spoke to at lunch? Let her know you have realized that was confidential, and you shouldn't have seen it or discussed it. Maybe the info won't be passed on.

If it does come back to bite you, just apologize and explain it like you did here. Like you said, she should not have left it on the public printer!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
always best not to say anything. Last night iat 3am i got a call from the vicepresdent of the company asking if i would go get some stuff off of a printer in another buliding ,said it was personal information, said he printed it there by mistake.

i said sure, no problems so i go get turns out to be his resume. lol well, i did not say anything. i see it, no of my business.

on the other hand i was working at one company, and i had to break down hard copies of reports. and then set them out so the IT people could get them in the moring once i set out a report that had every ones information along with how much they got payed from the owner to the cleaning people, How no one had ever told me not to set this report out on the table that did not much matter i still got fired.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Can you talk to the person again, who you spoke to at lunch? Let her know you have realized that was confidential, and you shouldn't have seen it or discussed it. Maybe the info won't be passed on.

If it does come back to bite you, just apologize and explain it like you did here. Like you said, she should not have left it on the public printer!
I second this approach. Good luck.