Does anyone know what Truffles are?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't mean the sweets called truffles. I'm talking about some plant type fungus that is in the ground. I was watching an episode of the 90's TV show Northern Exposure last night at work, on my DVD, when they were looking for truffles. They used a pig that sniffed them out, and then they used them in food. I have never heard of them before, except for truffles candies.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, I have tried them, they are okay, but I don't think I'd have them often!!
They are kind of knobbly mushrooms but with a firmer texture! (if that makes sense!)

You can read about them here!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I don't mean the sweets called truffles. I'm talking about some plant type fungus that is in the ground. I was watching an episode of the 90's TV show Northern Exposure last night at work, on my DVD, when they were looking for truffles. They used a pig that sniffed them out, and then they used them in food. I have never heard of them before, except for truffles candies.
They are a high priced mushroom that can be amazing if you cook it properly. I've not had the pleasure of dealing with them in my cooking, due to price restrictions, but if someone offers them to you, say yes!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is a very expensive type of mushroom, very hard to find, and tastes like rotten socks

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Oh yes, I have tried them, they are okay, but I don't think I'd have them often!!
They are kind of knobbly mushrooms but with a firmer texture! (if that makes sense!)

You can read about them here!
Oh my goodness Sarah, that picture in your link looks like a fetus!!

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Truffles are excellent. There is a white and black varities. We use them at our higher end dinner parties that we cater. Most of the time you see them shaved on top of a finished product. A little goes a long way and at thier price you want to get the most bang for your buck, presentation wise and taste wise.

Tricia

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They do actually use pigs to hunt for truffles. They're most famously used in french cooking. And because of the expense, they are often shaved and are used primarily for flavoring, especially in sauces. They are also used to flavor oils. Most gourmet stores will carry white truffle oil and/or black truffle oil.

Hi Hope!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Yes, it is a very expensive type of mushroom, very hard to find, and tastes like rotten socks
If I liked mushrooms I might eat them. But I hate mushrooms. Yuck!

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you've wached "Iron Chef" on the food channel you'll see they use them ALOT in gourmet cooking

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they do use pigs to hunt them .......... or rather sniff them out! Must have something to do with the snout! Anyway, I love them and all kinds of mushrooms but alas I've developed food allergies in my old age
and can't go within 100 feet of any kind of mushroom without dire consequences!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Yes, they do use pigs to hunt them .......... or rather sniff them out! Must have something to do with the snout! Anyway, I love them and all kinds of mushrooms but alas I've developed food allergies in my old age
and can't go within 100 feet of any kind of mushroom without dire consequences!
As for truffle hunting, I believe dogs are used now because the pigs would try to eat them. Can you imagine a hard days work being eaten by a pig?! LOL

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everytime on Iron Chef someone uses truffles, he/she usually wins.

It is a magic ingredient. I am sure it is pretty tasty.

I personally don't think truffles are that expensive as a flavoring agent. Most spices probably cost more than 300 dollars a pound. I use vanilla beans in my cooking and they are VERY expensive.

I heard that truffles are becoming cheaper due to the discovery of new varieties in the African nations.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love those chocolate covered coconut delights called Truffles.
When I learned what real truffles were as a kid, I was quite disappointed to find out that they were just brown lumpy things found in the dirt.
If I had a chance to try them I would though.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is making me want to try to make some chocolate truffles. It can't be all that difficult :::: starts walking towards kitchen::::

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the info. I LOVE mushrooms. I am going to have to try something with Truffles.

Well, if someone says you can't learn things from TV, I'll say I learned about Truffles from a wonderful, very funny, very entertaining TV show.