Bip

lazylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Had some trouble getting started in this forum, but I think I've got it now. Let me introduce us. BIP stands for Barbara/Izzy/Pinky, which is usually how I end my e-mails, etc. Barbara, of course, is I. Izzy and Pinky are male barn cat littler mates that will be two years old in mid-October. I got them in December, so they were barely two months old. My absolute first experience with cats, let alone basically wild kittens. It took a lot of time and a lot of patience to get them to finally accept me, their surroundingds, etc. I honestly didn't know if it was going to work out, but I'm happy to report that it did. I now have two of the sweetest fur babies that I could ever wish for. I had no idea what to expect from cats (always been a dog person before) so every day has been and still is a learning experience for me.

I have no complaints except that I wish I could get them to cuddle and sit in my lap more. But I'm thinking it might be normal teenage behavior. They do a lot of racing around the house and when they're not doing that, they are sleeping. And we'll have our afternoon nap together; if I lie down on the bed, they are right there beside me. At night they usually sleep under the bed, which is a new behavior. They used to sleep right beside me, but hardly do that any more.

Izzy is soft dark grey with white chest, paws, and belly. Pinky is the total opposite--almost totally white, but a coarse fur, with dark grey face and paws. Yin and yang. I've tried to train them a little (they're not allowed on the dining room table or the kitchen counters) but mostly they have the run of the house. Nothing here that they can damage. They know their names and will--usually--come when called. They are also a tremendous help in the kitchen as I don't think I could manage to fix a meal without their help. LOL I had a German shepherd years ago and I didn't think I could ever feel about a pet the way I did about him. But, these two little rascals have wormed their way into my heart and I can't imagine my life, now, without them.

Well, that's all for this first post. Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer. Cheerio, BIP

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site, Barb! Izzy and Pinky sound like sweeties! And you know what? Cats usually sleep whereever they want to and will change their favourite spots frequently!

mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Barb
Sounds like a love affair is brewing
that's wonderful. I would't worry about the cuddling right now. From my experience with my boys, Mac & Mickey they were the same way. I realized that when you have two siblings they depend on each other for cuddlilng, playing, and grooming. When they were 2 months old Mac would suck on Mickey's stomach. As they get older they will get closer to you. I started grooming them, usually in the same spot on a certain day and time and now they look forward to it. They're very affectionate afterwards and I usually give them hugs, kisses and a treat. Mickey and Mac are 3 yrs. old now and are more loving and affectionate towards me then when they were kittens.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, Barbara
We are so glad you have joined us!

If you have any questions as you make your way around the site please let me know. You can do so by simply clicking on my user name and sending me a private message. I will be happy to help in any way I can

See you on the board!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lazylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Welcome to the site, Barb! Izzy and Pinky sound like sweeties! And you know what? Cats usually sleep whereever they want to and will change their favourite spots frequently!
I hope I'm doing this right--my first time replying to anyone. Thanks for the info about cats changing their favorite sleeping spots. I didn't know that. I thought perhaps they were trying to stay away from the AC, as I keep it pretty cool in the bedroom. Of course, they are still there around 5:30 a.m. trying to wake me up. First it's damp kisses on my eyelids, then if that doesn't work, one or the other will sit on my chest and stare at me until I open my eyes. Can't help but wake up in a good mood, starting the day with a smile. Cheerio, BIP

lazylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom

Hi Barb
that's wonderful. I would't worry about the cuddling right now. From my experience with my boys, Mac & Mickey they were the same way. I realized that when you have two siblings they depend on each other for cuddlilng, playing, and grooming. When they were 2 months old Mac would suck on Mickey's stomach. As they get older they will get closer to you. I started grooming them, usually in the same spot on a certain day and time and now they look forward to it. They're very affectionate afterwards and I usually give them hugs, kisses and a treat. Mickey and Mac are 3 yrs. old now and are more loving and affectionate towards me then when they were kittens.
These forums are pretty neat. My first experience with them, so don't know all the ins and outs yet. Hope to post a pic of my two one of these days when I get smarter.

Thanks for you info. I had a pretty good idea that with two of them, they would rely on each other for almost all of their needs. What really cracks me up is when they sleep in the chair at my desk--they are totally entwined around each other. Can't tell where one cat ends and the other begins!!!
I'm glad that I decided to get both of them, as they really do keep each other company, even though their personalities are completely opposite. Pinky is very active and Izzy just loves to laze around. Pinky love to tease Izzy and will lie in wait for him just inside the door to the dining room. Then when Izzy walks in, Pinky pounces and the chase begins. I just love to watch them when they play.

Speaking of grooming--I did it for the first time yesterday (I know, I'm a terrible mom). I kept putting it off, don't know why. Didn't want then to hate me, I guess. But, they loved it. Took a few minutes for them to understand how good it felt, then any position I would put them in, they would just lie still and purr. It really never occured to me that it would give them so much pleasure. And how nice and sleek they looked afterwards. I'm really looking forward to making this a part of their daily routine.

I am having a little trouble getting them to like their dry food. I've tried several brands, but they pretty much turn their noses up at it. I really can't continue to afford to give them canned food on a daily basis, so what I've been doing is putting about 1 1/2 Tblsp in each dish and then adding about 1/2 cup of the dry and mixing them together. Little rascals will pick the canned food out and leave the dry. They also have a big bowl of dry that they can munch on (if they ever decide to) next to their water bowl. They certainly don't look like they're starving, so I'm not going to worry too much.

Okay, I've run on enough. Hope you and your guys are having a great day. Looking forward to this forum. It's great to talk to others who are cat people. Cheerio, BIP

lazylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom

Hi Barb
These forums are pretty neat. My first experience with them, so don't know all the ins and outs yet. Hope to post a pic of my two one of these days when I get smarter.

Thanks for you info. I had a pretty good idea that with two of them, they would rely on each other for almost all of their needs. What really cracks me up is when they sleep in the chair at my desk--they are totally entwined around each other. Can't tell where one cat ends and the other begins!!!
I'm glad that I decided to get both of them, as they really do keep each other company, even though their personalities are completely opposite. Pinky is very active and Izzy just loves to laze around. Pinky love to tease Izzy and will lie in wait for him just inside the door to the dining room. Then when Izzy walks in, Pinky pounces and the chase begins. I just love to watch them when they play.

Speaking of grooming--I did it for the first time yesterday (I know, I'm a terrible mom). I kept putting it off, don't know why. Didn't want then to hate me, I guess. But, they loved it. Took a few minutes for them to understand how good it felt, then any position I would put them in, they would just lie still and purr. It really never occured to me that it would give them so much pleasure. And how nice and sleek they looked afterwards. I'm really looking forward to making this a part of their daily routine.

I am having a little trouble getting them to like their dry food. I've tried several brands, but they pretty much turn their noses up at it. I really can't continue to afford to give them canned food on a daily basis, so what I've been doing is putting about 1 1/2 Tblsp in each dish and then adding about 1/2 cup of the dry and mixing them together. Little rascals will pick the canned food out and leave the dry. They also have a big bowl of dry that they can munch on (if they ever decide to) next to their water bowl. They certainly don't look like they're starving, so I'm not going to worry too much.

Okay, I've run on enough. Hope you and your guys are having a great day. Looking forward to this forum. It's great to talk to others who are cat people. Cheerio, BIP

deelynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THAT sounds just like susie
she is a gray tiger cat
she loves the attention BUT hates to be picked up!

she walks past ya like HEY pet me BUT NOOOO dont pick me up
LOL

~DEE~