Courtesy listings on Petfinder

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is mainly directed to those of you connected to shelters or rescue groups that post on Petfinder, but I'd be interested in what others think too.

Do your organizations post courtesy listings on their websites for individuals looking to place stray cats that they've taken in or pets that need rehoming? I'm asking because the group I volunteer with has just been approved for our own Petfinder website, but our coordinator is pretty adamant about not posting courtesy listings. She feels this would take attention away from our cats, create more work for us and get too confusing for potential adopters. I disagree and think we should post courtesy listings as a way of assisting people who are trying to do some good for the cats. One example would be the young stray female that my cousin recently took in. She's doing everything she can do find the cat a home (with my advice) and I think posting the kitty on Petfinder would be a great way to help her out. This is the kind of thing our coordinator doesn't want to do, though. I do think we need some guidelines regarding courtesy listings, but to say we're not going to post them at all doesn't sit right with me.

Any thought? Thanks!

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am with my local Humane Society and our organization is on PetFinder with our adults & kittens listed. We do allow courtesy listings with certain guidlines. As far as the courtesy listings taking away from our own cat/kittens/adoptions...it really turns out to be one-in-the same anyway...the donations go to the Humane Society from the courtesy listings and cat/kitten get adopted...and well...isn't that what we are about to begin with

It isn't standard to add courtesy listings but we do allow it.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

This is mainly directed to those of you connected to shelters or rescue groups that post on Petfinder, but I'd be interested in what others think too.

Do your organizations post courtesy listings on their websites for individuals looking to place stray cats that they've taken in or pets that need rehoming? I'm asking because the group I volunteer with has just been approved for our own Petfinder website, but our coordinator is pretty adamant about not posting courtesy listings. She feels this would take attention away from our cats, create more work for us and get too confusing for potential adopters. I disagree and think we should post courtesy listings as a way of assisting people who are trying to do some good for the cats. One example would be the young stray female that my cousin recently took in. She's doing everything she can do find the cat a home (with my advice) and I think posting the kitty on Petfinder would be a great way to help her out. This is the kind of thing our coordinator doesn't want to do, though. I do think we need some guidelines regarding courtesy listings, but to say we're not going to post them at all doesn't sit right with me.

Any thought? Thanks!
You may want to do what this group does:

http://www.catscradlevirginia.com/adopt.htm

They have a seperate page for "courtesy posts".

Same with this group:

http://k9newlife.com/dogs2.html

Truthfully, I think courtesy posts are wonderful as long as you make it very clear that they have to contact the owner directly. It does require a little more "follow up"..but you are helping someone place an animal that might otherwise end up at a shelter. I would just make sure you have a seperate location on your website for "rehoming animals".

Katie

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The biggist issue we see is that people who do rehome an animal off a courtacy listing will hold the shelter accountable for any issue with that animal.

Many many people are very ignorant when it comes to animal care and the shelter cannot possibly insure the quality of every animal posted by a 3rd party.

Yes it is a very good idea to spread the word about animals needing homes, some shelters will take that chance and allow it.
Many do not wish to lose any funding or have issues raised due to negligence of another owner.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe I am confused but why don't people just post themselves? Do people do courtesy postings just so the person doesn't have to do the work? Don't get me wrong- I think Petfinder is great & so are the organizations that rescue, but I don't understand why a courtesy posting is necessary.

Now actually wait- I mean if someone is unfamiliar with the internet or doesn't have access then yes that makes sense. But if someone is familiar with Petfinder then they probably know how to use it & have access to it... I'm just confused why this is necessary (unless for the above reason) when I have been able to post on petfinder myself previously...

Sorry to ramble or be confusing!

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could be wrong but I think you are not allowed to post "animal for adoption" listings on petfinder as an individual, you have to register as a shelter, rescue, etc. Petfinder is trying to keep a clean show there. It is sad, but there are any number of people who would jump at the chance to post an anmial as being an available 'rescue' when in fact they are BYBs who are using PF as a sneaky way of selling their pets. I know when I posted a 'looking for' ad I got some very slimy responses.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Petfinder does not allow individuals to post, you must be a qualified organization and applications and a vet reference (among other things) are required.

The point is to help ensure the welfare of the cats being adopted.

I think it is VERY important to make clear that the listings are courtesy listings and the the shelter is not responsible for those cats. We rehomed a cat through an organization once - and they did NOT make clear to us that they were not responsible for the adoption. When we became concerned about the welfare of the cat we placed, we turned to the organization for help in checking out the adopter - and they refused to help. We were furious - especially as they never made clear that the adoption papers they use were NOT used when this cat was adopted out. We would never have handled things the way we did if we had known. So it's important that both the person listing the animal and the person adopting the animal that this is independent of shelter/organization operations.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... I wonder why I was able to post then?!
I only did it once... maybe it was just a fluke?

Well in that case I think courtesy listings would be a nice thing to do for someone that is taking the time to try and rehome their cat rather than dumping it on someone's front lawn!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recently found a stray cat, not really knowing the avenues to take, it was suggested to me to contact the local rescue groups on petfinder. After doing so, I was amazed at the numerous contacts made to me through the rescue groups. They listed the stray on petfinder and within 1 week he was adopted. All contact info on the listing was to me. I had actually taken him to the vet and he was updated on all his shots and checked for FIV and leukemia, both negative. Because he was being board at the vets, when it came to adoption time, my vets office (who also do adoptions but were full) was able to assist me in asking the "right" questions. The lady who adopted him has stayed in contact with me on the cats adjusting (and it has gone well). And if for any reason it doesnt work out, I will take full responsibility of him.

I think who is responsible should be made fully clear. But had it not been for the rescue group listing him, on my own, I dont know what I could have done. There was no one in my area beside the rescue group, that had the availability to help me, everyone was just full !!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is what Cats Cradle has on their courtesy page:

What is a re-homed cat? It's a cat that is currently in a home, being held by it's current guardian, but must be placed up for adoption because of circumstances that will not allow the current guardian to keep the pet. Cat's Cradle offers assistance by posting these pets on our web site in hopes we can help locate a new home for them.

If you are interested in any of the cats or kittens on this page, please contact the person who has the pet. Contact information is located on the pet's page. These cats/kittens are not adopted out under Cat's Cradle's adoption policy. Guardians of these pets take responsibility in finding new permanent, loving homes for their pets. Please take a moment and look at these cats/kittens and see if they would fit into your home.

http://www.catscradlevirginia.com/rehoming.htm

I like that they keep this page seperate from the cats offered through their rescue group.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the feedback, everybody. I like the idea of having a separate page for courtesy listings and a disclaimer of sorts for our TNR group. I'm hoping our coordinator will go for this. I really think it's a service we should provide.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petfinder does not allow individuals to post, you must be a qualified organization and applications and a vet reference (among other things) are required.
That is NOT accurate.You CAN post an ad on Petfinder under the classified section for animals to be adopted!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

Hmmm... I wonder why I was able to post then?!
I only did it once... maybe it was just a fluke?

Well in that case I think courtesy listings would be a nice thing to do for someone that is taking the time to try and rehome their cat rather than dumping it on someone's front lawn!
Did you post a "pets for adoption" listing in the classifieds section? That is aloowed be individuals, shelters are not allowed to post there. Under a general listing, you have to log in there as an approved shelter in order to post. There is no way you could have done that.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I have a hard time facilitating homes for cats or kittens that are not spay/neutered but other than that I guess I would allow it, with clear information.

If they aren't altered, they need to be brought into a program that will take care of them properly.