Cat had kittens outside, now stays in

friel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My pregnant cat went outside yesterday and when she returned in the evening she had had her kittens. She ate, then spent the rest of the evening wandering around the house looking lost. She wont go outside to return to her kittens so ive no idea where they would be.

Its been about 18 hours since she returned, would she have abandoned them or would they have died at birth? I'd really like to find them but dont know where to start.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like they died, but I'd take her outside and watch her and see if she will lead you to the kits. Its unusual for a mom to adandon the kits unless something is wrong.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Friel

My pregnant cat went outside yesterday and when she returned in the evening she had had her kittens. She ate, then spent the rest of the evening wandering around the house looking lost. She wont go outside to return to her kittens so ive no idea where they would be.

Its been about 18 hours since she returned, would she have abandoned them or would they have died at birth? I'd really like to find them but dont know where to start.
Chances are that they have died. I wouldn't let mom outside unsupervised....especially since she can become pregnant within a couple of days of giving birth. Right now...I would focus on taking mom in to the vet and having her checked out. I would also speak to them about setting up a spay appt. for your girl.

Katie

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, how heartbreaking! I am so sorry you lost all the kittens!

Definitely keep her inside only now, and call the vet for a spay appt.

Rest in peace, little babies...it is so sad that you never had a chance!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Chances are that they have died. I wouldn't let mom outside unsupervised....especially since she can become pregnant within a couple of days of giving birth. Right now...I would focus on taking mom in to the vet and having her checked out. I would also speak to them about setting up a spay appt. for your girl.

Katie
First off, i wanted to welcome you to TCS...if there's anything i can help you with, please feel free to pm me.
On another note however, i would suggest that after 18 hrs...the kittens are probably dead...if they don't nurse within a few hours of birth they most likely will pass- also, she could have had still borns or other complications. The safest thing for you to do now is keep the momma kitty indoors only and away from other males at this time.She is still very sore and needs to be kept comfortable and safe inside
. I also wanted to say that I agree with Katie on this one. I would contact a vet as soon as you can and set up an appointment to have the momma kitty spayed so that this doesn't happen in the future. I'm soo sorry for you loss
. Please feel free to pm me if you need anything.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hate to say it but even if they had lived, if she hasn't seen them in the last 18 hours they are gone. Sorry to say but they cannot live that long exposed to the cool evening and night air, preditors, without food... She probably left them because their was something wrong with them. This making it even more important that she not be able to mate again. The tom cat she mated with in the first place could have been sick or carrying a disease and now the mther has it.

Please keep her in, be sad about the kittens but realize they are gone. Focus now on taking her to the vet, have her tested first of all, vaccinated if it hasnt been done already, and set up her spay appointment as soon as possible.

Please please do not let her out at all anymore until she is spayed so that you and her do not have to go through this again.