How long does diarrhea last?

krystaline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vodka was spayed yesterday. Of course, she fasted from 10pm the previous night. I fed her 2 hours after we got home and she was fine, although she ate quite a bit. I assumed it was because she was so hungry. Well, today, she ate a whole 3 oz can of food (she normally only eats 2/3 a day), and she ate the entire 1/4 c. serving of her Felidae dry, which she normally only nibbles at and NEVER finishes all in one day. She also drank quite a bit more than usual.

Well, tonight as I was going to bed, she acted strange and jumped off the bed and wouldnt come back on when I called her. Then she let out some strange meowing sounds that were odd enough to make me turn on the light and check her out. She had crawled into the corner of the room and there was quite a pile of diarrhea on the floor. Normally her poops are quite small.

I am assuming that it is because of all the food that she ate today, which, although it is her normal food, she has NEVER eaten that much in one day before. She was kindof acting crazy afterwards, also, running away, avoiding me, and her pupils were HUGE.

She is now sitting calmly in the chair behind me. Does her being spayed have anything to do with this? How long does diarrhea usually last?? (she has never had it before) And is there something I should do to ease her indigestion? Please help. I have never dealt with this issue before.

TIA

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please call your vet. That does not sound normal. She might just be reacting to being put under for the surgery. But only the vet will know for sure.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
blood pressure goes up when cats poop, hence why a lot of cats will do the crazy pooping run round the house when they finish! could be she had to go so bad it all came out in a rush and she was overwhelmed by it. also she's most likey quite sore there from the surgery and the muscles aren't up for the strain of a poo. a lot of cats will have diarrhea the first 48 hours after being spayed and most all will pig out when they get home. the pupils dialate when they get frisky and playful or when they do the crazy pooping runs. she may have run from you because she had an accident and thought she'd done wrong.

If this behaivior continues after 48 hours consult your vet. But if she's eating fine and cuddling with you now and there is no sign of redness, swelling, or pus leaking from the wound i wouldn't worry too much.

euterpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't really add much more. Only wanted to say that vomiting/diarrhea can be a post operative side effective of the anesthesia. I remember when Libby went in for hers I read up about post-op care and it said about not letting them eat too much when they get back as it can upset their stomachs. I still let her though, as with your kitten, she ate a LOT when she got back home!

I jsut double checked to make sure I'd remembered correctly and found a spay clinics website that confirmed what I thought - it also said that if the diarrhea lasts for more than 3 days, you should call a vet (but i'd probably go with 48 hours as ocicat said).

I hope she is ok and that it is just an effect of the surgery

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ocicat_steph

blood pressure goes up when cats poop, hence why a lot of cats will do the crazy pooping run round the house when they finish!
Really? I didn't know this! I always wondered why Prego runs around after he uses the potty