The little boy

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be the first to admit that I do not know how to handle children, but I thought that I'd share this moment anyway. I was at a book signing tonight at an out door shopping area. Well this little blond haired boy walks up to me, he can't be more than three, and has this look on his face like he doesn't really know where he is. I lean down and ask, "Where's your Mommy?"

Little boy, "I don't have a Mommy."

Me, "That's not the answer I was looking for."

He then gives me a look like, well I don't know what you want strange lady. This blond lady, whom I'm going to assume is the little boy's mother, come screaming out of one of the shops, yelling for her son. She grabs the little boy and says they are going home. He had crossed the street to the other side of the shopping area, and was in real danger of getting hit by a car. I'm just glad I found him.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man..HOW IN THE WORLD! Can people let thier kid out thier sight for that long?
My 2 almost 3 year old, isnt out of my sight for more than a few seconds..at any time. It's instinct. Wow.
Poor kid didnt even like his mom obviously. He wanted you take him home.
Aawww...I sure would have said something to his mom..Like "Umm..Hey..Look, you...Waaaay over there..HIM...Waaay over here! WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah

Man..HOW IN THE WORLD! Can people let thier kid out thier sight for that long?
My 2 almost 3 year old, isnt out of my sight for more than a few seconds..at any time. It's instinct. Wow.
Poor kid didnt even like his mom obviously. He wanted you take him home.
Aawww...I sure would have said something to his mom..Like "Umm..Hey..Look, you...Waaaay over there..HIM...Waaay over here! WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED!"
I'm sure she was too busy buying $2000.00 worth of bedding at Restoration Hardware. That's the store she came out of.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I'm sure she was too busy buying $2000.00 worth of bedding at Restoration Hardware. That's the store she came out of.
Sounds about right.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Bad momma.
Shame-Shame.
She needs a nanny then if she can afford that, then she sure as heck can afford someone to take proper care of her kid.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once after i got back to apartment, i parked on the very far side of buliding otu of the way, of other cars and so my jeep would be under the shade tree, well i get out, and there is alittle i reallyi doubt if she was more then 4 girl walking around... i kinda look around, there is on one there, so i stand there for a few min watching having a smoke , still no adults,

so i ask here where is mom and dad , she starts to cry(oh boy now what),
finally i said come on lets go find your find your mom, so she hold out her arms in that classical pick me up thing, so i do,

finally on the other side of the complex(there was 4 different bulding connected by walk ways so its not small) the little girl start to point at a women so i walk over, and ask excuse me did you lose this,

well the women went of yelling at me for picking up her kid tells me she is going to call the cops on me

i just laughed, and walked way,
oh i guess as walking away i did say something about dumb people should not be allowed to have kids,

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

Once after i got back to apartment, i parked on the very far side of buliding otu of the way, of other cars and so my jeep would be under the shade tree, well i get out, and there is alittle i reallyi doubt if she was more then 4 girl walking around... i kinda look around, there is on one there, so i stand there for a few min watching having a smoke , still no adults,

finally i said come on lets go find your find your mom, so she hold out her arms in that classical pick me up thing, so i do,

finally on the other side of the complex(there was 4 different bulding connected by walk ways so its not small) the little girl start to point at a women so i walk over, and ask excuse me did you lose this,

well the women went of yelling at me for picking up her kid tells me she is going to call the cops on me

oh i guess as walking away i did say something about dumb people should not be allowed to have kids,
That was very brave. As a woman, I would hesitate to do something like that - I can only imagine that it is even harder to be a man and you still did the right thing. Good for you.

Next time though, I strongly suggest that you call the cops before you go looking for mom - just in case.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I applaud you for doing the right thing. That momma needs to have some sense slapped into her!
Someone could have easily snatched her up and hurt or killed her! I'm glad you picked her up and found her momma- i just wish that mother had some sense enough to thankyou for finding her child that she obviously wasn't supervising!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This reminds me of one of the most frightening things I have ever experienced just this last March .... I was with a friend, we went to her apartment after shopping. I had my hands full of bags and I hear a baby crying. I look up and see a little girl about 2, standing in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD !!!!! I take off running as fast as I can. I can just remember praying inside of me "please dont let her get hit before I get to her" ....I finally get her and scoop her up in my arms. She was still crying. I didnt know what to do. Finally someone came out and snatched her out of my arms saying something like "you dont ever leave from inside like that" .... I said, " You need to watch your baby girl, I just found her in the middle of the street" .........she said, "Thanks" and walked away..... I was shocked at such a nonchalant attitude that her baby was in the middle of the road.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People seem to let their kids roam at all ages around here. I swear this one little boy has got to be 2 1/2...maybe 3 now. I never used to see him outside. Then I saw that my neighbor was pregnant and it seemed soon as she had popped the next one out (that made 5 or 6) he was out there following his older siblings around. It seriously irritates me. I try to keep my eye on some of the kids a bit but still....

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Wow what a moron! I would have said something to the effect of, "well then next time I'll just call the police and they can return her to you" i do like your response to othough

There's an apt complex in town where two little boys, ages 2 and 4 I believe, were found walking around outside, in the snow, WITH NO SHOES ON!! in DIAPERS (2 year old) and PJS!!!!! the mother was found sleeping in her apt
disgraceful, at least I admit I'm not equppied to care for a child and would never subject a kid to having me as a parent
what is it with people having kids just to have them?

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thats the sad thing..that in this day and age, if you DO see a kid in trouble, you have to hesitate. 50 years ago you (im using you in the general sense, not speaking of anyone in particular) saw a kid in trouble, you went and got them, whether it meant picking them up, putting them in your car to drive them to the police station, or what have you. now, its like you dont even want to approach them too close, or take their hand and ask if they're ok, lest it be misconstrued. and lord forbid you actually pick them up and walk around trying to find their mum.

i dunno, it just makes me sad, that thats the world we live in today.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arcadian girl

thats the sad thing..that in this day and age, if you DO see a kid in trouble, you have to hesitate. 50 years ago you (im using you in the general sense, not speaking of anyone in particular) saw a kid in trouble, you went and got them, whether it meant picking them up, putting them in your car to drive them to the police station, or what have you. now, its like you dont even want to approach them too close, or take their hand and ask if they're ok, lest it be misconstrued. and lord forbid you actually pick them up and walk around trying to find their mum.

i dunno, it just makes me sad, that thats the world we live in today.
That was very well stated