sick kitten

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well i dont think she is actually sick like a virus or bacteria but she is throwing up and having diahrrea. she is from the humane society and im pretty sure its because of the sudden change in diet. other than the throwing up and pooping she appears perfectly healthy and energetic and stuff. i just want to know if theres anything i can do to help her feel better until her tummy is used to the new diet.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could you get some of the same cat food she was eating at the shelter to mix in with what you are switching her to?
That way her change would be more gradual and probably easier for her to tolerate. If you try that and she still has a problem I'd say it's vet time.

Good Luck!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

Could you get some of the same cat food she was eating at the shelter to mix in with what you are switching her to?
That way her change would be more gradual and probably easier for her to tolerate. If you try that and she still has a problem I'd say it's vet time.

Good Luck!
I second that.. Is this the one you have had less than a week???

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just don't let the problem go on too long. Kittens go downhill pretty fast when they get the runs--they can come back quickly too--but you don't want the runs longer than a day without contacting the vet.

Don't do the thing that some do when they take dry food and moisten it. I'm learning this creates a bacterial problem in the dish and then kitten eating it = no good. Maybe put a teeny bit of plain yogurt in her dish, just a little to start or sprinkle a pinch of some acidophilus on her wet food. I wouldn't want to advise further on this as I'm not a qualified professional.
I'm dealing with a VERY sick kitten with diarrhea right now so what do I know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I second that.. Is this the one you have had less than a week???
yes, the one we just named Kya in the poll. and thanks everyone for the advice, ill pick up some of her old food tomorrow and see if that helps. they had her on natures balance. the first cat i got started throwing up too but it only lasted a couple days and shes fine now, i even had some of her old food mixed in. the boy cat hasnt had any problems yet but i have some of his old food mixed in too. so right now they re on a mix of a few different kinds.

as far as i can tell, the baby has only had diahrrea once. i had to give her a bath, it was kind of fun) she didnt like it, and kept trying to climb out of the sink but she didnt meow or scratch or anything. i really hope she gets better fast, she is such a sweet thing.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vik61

Just don't let the problem go on too long. Kittens go downhill pretty fast when they get the runs--they can come back quickly too--but you don't want the runs longer than a day without contacting the vet.

Don't do the thing that some do when they take dry food and moisten it. I'm learning this creates a bacterial problem in the dish and then kitten eating it = no good. Maybe put a teeny bit of plain yogurt in her dish, just a little to start or sprinkle a pinch of some acidophilus on her wet food. I wouldn't want to advise further on this as I'm not a qualified professional.
I'm dealing with a VERY sick kitten with diarrhea right now so what do I know.
i havnt moistened her dry food but i have been giving her some canned authority in the mornings, could that be the problem? she isnt used to canned food.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your love for her comes through in your posts.

Start her on a little teaspoonful at a time, and add a little water to start. Soon she'll be gobbling it up, if you're lucky.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vik61

Your love for her comes through in your posts.

Start her on a little teaspoonful at a time, and add a little water to start. Soon she'll be gobbling it up, if you're lucky.
oh, she already eats it, and loves it
i just thought maybe its upsetting her tummy. but she hasnt thrown up since i posted about this so maybe shes already over it, we ll see how she does today )

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well she is doing great
it lasted less then 24 hours so im very relieved. she has a checkup at the vet today so we ll know for sure that shes in tip top health. they suggested a fecal but she was wormed three times while in foster care for the humane society so im pretty sure shes good on that. besides with three cats i dont know which poop is hers anyway.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well the vet said she is in perfect health and she still has not vomitted or pooped on herself again so we re all happy.

i went to a new vet though and i will not ever go back there again. first of all the nurse reeked of cigarette smoke and i couldnt even breathe and i know it bothered poor little kya too. and when she handed kya back to me, kya reeked of cigarette smoke herself! then when she went to take kya's temperature, she tried to jam the giant thermometer up poor kya's butt without even putting any kind of lubricant on it!! she was trying to force it in when i said dont you need to put vaseline or something on that? and she was like oh yeah i do. <sigh> i told the doctor i would be coming back there and why.