Anybody been in therapy before?

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not asking all your business or anything. I'm 19 and just feel like im at my wits end. I need to talk to someone professional I feel. I was just wondering has anyone else been in it and has it helped with or without(preferably without) medication in your life? If you dont wanna share here, please PM me.

Some people may say 19 is tough time for a lot of people. However, I dont know what else to do.

I dont have to many friends (by choice, they are major drama) its just my BF my two kitties and thats all.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
your not alone. when i was 18 I went into therapy. I loved it. I was going through a very tough time my last year of high school and i felt as if nothing i could do or who i was was ok. I went for about 6 months and learned alot about myself and ways to cope with any onsets of depression.

its not unhealthy to go through a period in life where you really start to asses who you are, what you want and how to deal with all your going through.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a Minister/Preacher to talk to?
I would highly suggest finding someone you feel comfortable talking to and be able to really open up too.
I am hoping that life eases up for you SOON!!!

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Counselors.
Yes..Been there. Done that. Loved it.
It's really helpful.. But expensive. If you can get some kind of payment plan, even better.
It helped me. I'm all kinds of better now.

I'd say do it. It's someone to talk to that is professional, and knows more about life, and can give you insight on which way to take. I didnt need any medication..
And hey..We're always here too.
You can vent/talk to us ANYTIME. There are sooo many people on here willing to give advice. PM's are great for that also..You can PM me if you need..anytime. I'm always full of talk, sometimes helpful.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Therapy is great, and doesn't involve meds. If they think you'll need meds, they'll refer you to a doctor for assessment - but the therapy will (almost certainly) continue.

BTW friends don't have to be major drama - it's about learning to establish boundaries (that comes with time).

Good luck. I hope you give it a try - I think everyone should have a therapist.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No I don't have a preacher/minister. I am not to religious. I am spiritual though.

Ha I nearly cried when I read all of your kind words. Thank you so much!

I have benefits through my mothers job as long as I am a full time college student. I have them. I am going into my third year of college on hmm wow Monday!
(Just at a jc but still)

I'm looking into to it now. What's the differance between a psychiatrist, psychologist, and a therapist?

I'm all kinds of confused. I would love to rant about my problems. However thats why I think I need a professional. I cant talk about myself, without thinking "pity party time" I dont like that feeling. Or to bring other people down.

I'm content with being a loner. My cats have never betrayed me like friends have. So I will stick with them for now.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappyHendrix

I'm looking into to it now. What's the differance between a psychiatrist, psychologist, and a therapist?

I'm all kinds of confused.
For practical purposes, the difference is this:

A psychiatrist is a (medical) doctor - they write perscriptions (and do other medical types of treatments).

A psychologist/therapist/councellor is not a medical doctor (though they may have a PhD) - they do not write perscriptions.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you find the help you feel you need
. I've never been in therapy so i can't give you any advice on that, but i'm here to listen if you ever need to talk. Feel free to pm me

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi happy hendrix,

i have been through some counselling and i am on zoloft. i notice a HUGE difference when i take this. It's not as strong as Prozac. i don't have a lot of friends either. and somedays it really bothers me. but the one or two i have, i've had a long time. don't worry about not having too many friends....i have found that in addition to my meds, i also have enjoyment in games, art, crafts, and books.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been in thearpy in one form or another since I've been 16. It's not only helpful, it's a total life saver. It will teach you things about yourself that it takes others years to figure out. Go, find out more about yourself, and learn. It's the best time in your life to do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I've been in thearpy in one form or another since I've been 16. It's not only helpful, it's a total life saver. It will teach you things about yourself that it takes others years to figure out. Go, find out more about yourself, and learn. It's the best time in your life to do it.
Thank you those words touched me.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Yep.

Really. They make you think harder about yourself. And it's awesome. They really know about life..and how to deal. After you leave a session, you'll be like "wow..That was great!"
Really..Go see someone. And like I said..We are always here, and my private messages button is ready to be pressed. And Any of US are willing to help.
Heck, some of us probably have had the same problems, and can help you with it.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget that there may be school resources you can use. Possibly for an extremely reduced fee. I personally have struggled very much with depression recently. I am starting to understand that it might be something within my family. We just found out my son has it too, and his seeing a counselor has really helped a lot!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a professional counselor a few years ago. I was 21 at the time I guess. I was just really depressed and going though stuff. I had just gotten married and that was a major change (which I've always had to take my own time to deal with) and then DH wad deployed, so yet another major changed. That was just too much for me and stuff so I told my DR and he sent me to a counselor. It was one of the best decisions I have made. It helped me learn how to handle things and be a bit stronger of a person. So don't be afraid to go to a counselor if you need to.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
I am a licensed therapist and have also been in therapy. Obviously I am a believer. The important thing is to trust your gut about a therapist. All the knowledge and training in the world won't help if you dont feel comfortable and safe with the person. and instincts usually are right. It's the match of the relationship that is the helaling element. And if a therapist can't accept your discomfort and help you overcome it, run like heck and find another.

It's the people who NEVER go that I worry about sometimes.

ognstub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i too have gone for counselling. It took three different attepmts to finally find someone that i could relate to and that has helped me.
dont get discouraged after the first visit! they dont take it personallly if you see someone else.
sometimes they can see what we cant see about ourselves; that extra insight can be a big help!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a therapist when I was about 22 because my little sister attempted suicide, I am pretty sure it was nothing more then a way to get attention because she was really stupid about it. If she wanted to die she would have. But my dad freaked out and made me go. I hated it. I hated telling some strange woman about myself. I had nothing to say really.

Sorry I am not really helpful or full of good or even happy advice. But that was my only experience with therapy.

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi.firstly well done....it is so much beter to talk about stuff than bottle it up.thats what i did and it cost me 3 years of my life due to nervous breakdown.im out of the tunnel now but its been a long haul.theres not much i dont know about mental health/therapy/medication.so if you want to pm me just click on my user name and i will be more than happy to help you.again...well done

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, been in and out of therapy and am currently back again.

I've been in and out of therapy since I was 15. Even though I'm a believer in it, still I always feel weird when I say "Yup I'm in therapy" or "I'm depressed". I think it was just my upbringing though.

Anyhoo, there's nothing wrong with going to talk to someone anonymously and have it all kept private. Sure you can talk to friends, but if the situation(s) are deep then its better to get an anonymous person involved (I've left friends and friends have left me when the same subject goes on for MONTHS).

Anyhoo, my only advice is to make sure the therapist fits you. The only time you'll see progress within yourself is if you believe in the therapist. I had one that kept giving me worksheets but would never follow up on them. Also when you make the appointment, ask them what kind of philosophy does the therapist hold her sessions on:
a) Do they conduct the session based on what's currently happening?
b) Do they conduct the session based on your family's upbringing
c) Do they Conduct ...based on your childhood experiences?
etc...

Also definitely talk to your school health center. The university I attended provided free counseling with Grads in their last semester, so you both benefit in school.