By products and wet food..suggestions

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I know I ask alot of questions about food. Its just I get to thinking and I figure there are more knowledgable people here that may have an answer for me.

Ok so Ping does good on Meow Mix wet. But because I read somethings about the high levels of seafood in it it may not be good for everyday feedings. Which I understand. So I started the Natural Life Lamb variety as more of an everyday food. But I wanted to also use a different brand as well because at our store only sales 3 varieties of Natural life. But I want something with minimal by-products. I checked Fancy Feast and there was a lot of by products in those. One flavor even said Meat by-products what the heck is that and it had a lot of grain in it. Friskies wasn't much better. So can anyone recommend another store brand wet that is decent.

Also one more question. Ping gets feed Evo dry and he is really starting to like it. Now when I put some down he eats almost all of it. SO I am happy about that. Something that works and he is happy and won't kill the pocketbook. But someone mentioned that some cats can't handle it thats its to rich for some cats. How can you tell if its to rich for your cat?

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that the cat will stop eating if it is full. They will eat much less of the quality food since it is not full of cheap extenders like byproducts and grains. If your cat is happy with the Evo I'd continue with it.

The quality food is cheaper in the long run since the cat will not eat or poop as much; and its health will be better. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes he is doing great on Evo dry and that will not change. But I still want him to have 2 servings of wet a day for moisture intake. He does not drink much water and I want to be sure he is not becoming dehydrated.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Also one more question. Ping gets feed Evo dry and he is really starting to like it. Now when I put some down he eats almost all of it. SO I am happy about that. Something that works and he is happy and won't kill the pocketbook. But someone mentioned that some cats can't handle it thats its to rich for some cats. How can you tell if its to rich for your cat?
well, if Cable eats straight, high-quality wet food, she gets the runs...that's how i tell

i don't know of another 'supermarket' brand that i'd recommend. there are some other 'pet store' brands that are acceptable, but they're considerably more pricey than the meow mix. i usually mix them - 1/2 meow mix, 1/2 higher quality. better for the kitty, easier on the pocketbook.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Iams has some decent new ones ...
Read every label ... oh and be wary of too much lamb

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I... oh and be wary of too much lamb
Curious Why? Whats wrong if they have to much lamb?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Curious Why? Whats wrong if they have to much lamb?
It can cause an inflamatory response... ohh and is the least digestable of common meats..

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sigh this is so hard. Meow Mix has to much seafood in it so thats kinda out except once or twice a week. Lamb is the least degistable food. Fancy Feast has to many by-products as does Friskies. I will not buy IAMS. And he doesn't like Merricks canned. And he can't have dry on its own because he does drink enough water. That pretty much leaves Felidea canned, Wellness canned or possibly EVO canned. I am trying to give Ping the best and healthiest for him but my options are now running low.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sigh this is so hard. Meow Mix has to much seafood in it so thats kinda out except once or twice a week. Lamb is the least degistable food. Fancy Feast has to many by-products as does Friskies. I will not buy IAMS. And he doesn't like Merricks canned. And he can't have dry on its own because he does drink enough water. That pretty much leaves Felidea canned, Wellness canned or possibly EVO canned. I am trying to give Ping the best and healthiest for him but my options are now running low.
Natural Life make s a fish and a chicken flavored also ... you may be able to rotate these ...
Evo is good... Wellness has garlic
... Felidea is great my girls love the chn .. Some fancy feast have no soy and no by products.. Do you have access to a Petco or Petsmart >???

If Evo was too rich , u would be dealing with loose stool or other digestive issues...

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natures' Variety Prairie and Nature's Logic make a canned 'rabbit' cat food. The Nature's Logic canned rabbit is the only wet food Gizmo will eat, and only in very small portions.
You might try rabbit since it is closest to their prey--I call it 'uptown mouse'--and the only side effect is that Gizmo's coat has been unbelievably soft since she started eating it.
I did not know that about the lamb. Then again, how many house cats eat sheep?
My vet warned me about venison as well; seems it is too close to beef (another allergen) for safety.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, and California Natural Canned food is also excellent. Their dry food is great value for the price.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Nutro? No by-products, not too much grain, and lots of different adult flavors (for kittens, there's three canned and three pouch varieties). And it's pretty easy to find at pet stores. My kittens love the canned and they'll eat the pouches if I mash it up with a fork. It's pretty affordable too. It goes for 44 cents per 3 oz can or packet here, and I think the 5.5 oz cans are about 60 cents. Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul also looks pretty good and is only 55 cents per 5.5 oz can. I'll be trying it soon. The pet store here that carries it finally got in some non-expired stuff recently.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortnutly I don't have any pet stores near me. The closest is 50miles or more away.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naturestee

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul also looks pretty good and is only 55 cents per 5.5 oz can. I'll be trying it soon. The pet store here that carries it finally got in some non-expired stuff recently.
i really think the chicken soup foods are an excellent quality for the price. mine get the chicken soup dry, & i mix the chicken soup wet w/the meow mix tubs. the chicken soups all have both fish & chicken in them, tho, so they're not appropriate if your cat has a fish allergy.
try some of the online sources if you can't find things nearby. let me know if you need links.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been trying to get my cats on a better wet food diet, so I went to my local feed store and purchased a can of every Wellness flavor, Innova and California Natural chicken and brown rice, the kitties were not all that impressed with any Wellness flavor, except Sapphire LOVED the plain chicken variety, and she is very picky about her wet food, so that is what she is getting, she will split that with the babies, and for the other 5 they really enjoyed the Innova, not EVO, just regular Innova (good job kitties! the lowest priced one
) so they will get that.... They were not all that thrilled with the Cali Nat either. I did not try the Felidae, couldn't find any big cans, but maybe I'll look at the other feed store. Jinx has refused every flavor I've given her and really only licked the gravy off the Meow Mix so Jinxie gets no wet food
Medusa is still in hiding and every time I've tried to give her some it gets eaten by someone else
Maybe I'll pick up some Chicken Soup canned too, just for them to try. My cats eat waaaaay better than I do I tell ya!!