Monitor fire

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have this really big screen monitor that was really awesome. About fifteen minutes ago, I was getting ready to play RollerCoaster Tycoon, and smoke started to come out of the top of my monitor.
We still don't know what happened, but it reeks like burnt plastic and the screen I'm using now is tiny.

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, what was the cause of it?

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that happened to an outlet in my house once. My house is really old and the some of the outlets are on the ground and one of my cats decided to pee in it.
That sucks about your moniter.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have both the electrical sockets checked out by your local fire dpt (they will usually do that for free) and make sure you have no short circuits or fire hazards....then get the computer checked out once that is ruled out. Good luck!

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Was it a new LCD, or flat screen? I had this happen with a huge regular 21" CRT monitor. I smelled the smoke before I saw it, and it reeked for days. As for the cause, I don't know, but maybe it's just something that happens to the big ones *shrugs*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alikatt

Was it a new LCD, or flat screen?
Nope, it was a few years old.

prncss89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A fuse blew in it. It happend to mine. If you know anyone who is handy all you need to do is replace the fuse and it will be as good a new.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by prncss89

A fuse blew in it. It happend to mine. If you know anyone who is handy all you need to do is replace the fuse and it will be as good a new.
Except for the burnt plastic...