Places to find kittens??

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, this may sound a little strange, but wehre are good places to get kittens,other than breeders? ( There aren't any rescues close by either). The last time we got a kitten from the shelter, it had ringworm and we ended up having to treat everyone (we had 6 at the time), and scrub the whole house from top to bottom. I'm very leery of adding a kitten from the shelter again because of that, but I want to give a kitty a home that needs one. I've checked the paper for adds, and there are none, but that's kind of hard too, because you don't know whether the kitten has anything there either.

Thanks in advance!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, WHERE ARE YOU!?! I have 3 lovely kittens available for adoption, and 4 that are 3 days old and will be available in about 10 weeks! LOL!

Actually, the rescues are often better vetted than the shelter kitties. Some shelters are very good, but some have VERY limited funds. Do you have a Petco or Petsmart nearby? Many rescues show kittens on the weekends at those stores. Or check Petfinder.com for local kittens available. Be aware that with my rescue, our kittens often never get pictured on the web since they are adopted pretty quickly at the shows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry about that...I'm in Ohio.

stephenie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what part of OH. My my has 4 kittens in Allen MI that will need Homes around the first week of Oct.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in Ohio too- have you checked Petfinder? just put your zip code in, alot of rescues don't have a building because they're a foster care system, but I know there aare a lot of rescue groups in Ohio

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I'm in Ohio too- have you checked Petfinder? just put your zip code in, alot of rescues don't have a building because they're a foster care system, but I know there aare a lot of rescue groups in Ohio
In addition to the people fosterin that responded above, petfinder is an EXCELLENT source to find local cats available for adoption:
www.petfinder.org

Also look at www.craigslist.com (and click on your state at the right of the page). They have a ton of listings for available pets.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where are you in Ohio? I'm in the Cincinnati area and we have healthy kittens of various ages available for adoption. All are rescues and really cute!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wehre are good places to get kittens,other than breeders?
As many of here can vouch, our YARDS are wonderful places!!! I have so many strays dropped off, that it is unreal.

I would go to Petfinder as was suggested or ask ANY member here that foster about 1 of theirs.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes just word of mouth is the best way... That's how I got three of my four. You can put out word at work or with friends. Someone always knows someone.. Shelters are good but you do need to be careful. We did take Rocky though even though all signs pointed to the fact he had some health problems... the shelter would've taken him back i'm sure, but I dont regret it because he is a doll.

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm happy to say that we did find a place through Petfinder that had what we were looking for, which was a black long hair kitten, and we ended up taking her litter-mate also who is a shorthair black and white female, because we just couldn't leave her there all by herself, now could we??

Thanks everyone!

ebongrey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bazkitty

Well, I'm happy to say that we did find a place through Petfinder that had what we were looking for, which was a black long hair kitten, and we ended up taking her litter-mate also who is a shorthair black and white female, because we just couldn't leave her there all by herself, now could we??

Thanks everyone!
Ohhh, congratulations on your new babies. I'm so glad you found not one but two additions to your household to spoil rotten

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have them yet, as they had to be spayed before we bring them home. But as soon as they are here, I'll get some pictures up ASAP of them and the rest of my crew.