You have got to be kidding me?!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a call on monday from Reilly & Tiger's vet....They informed me that they are moving (to another county) and that I should come by and get a copy of their records to take to their new vet. I immediatly made an appt at Jake's vet for Reilly because she's been putting on weight rapidly the last 2 weeks.
I took her in last night to the new vet, gave them the records and sat down.
Reilly was having a fit in her carrier (as usual
) when a lady and her daughter asked me "that momma's not too happy is she?" I laughed and said "She's not a momma, she's been spayed, she just hates the carrier"

About ten mins later the Dr called us back into the room. I took Reilly out of the carrier and was cuddling her. He told me to put her on the table and asked how Jake was doing. I told him he was fine but I was worried about Reilly gaining so much weight and wanted her tested for worms.
He picked her up and said "That's NOT worms... THAT'S babies!" I said "WHAT?!
You've got to be kidding me?! She was spayed!!!!
I thought by this time "this guys a loon" I told him to look at her records... she's spayed... I seen the incision and stitches myself! He raised one eyebrow and said "well, lets see"
He went into another room and when he returned about 15 mins later he had a portable x-ray machine. (Same one they used for Jake's leg when we got him)
He did the x-ray and sure enough.... SHE'S PREGNANT!

He said that this is the 3rd case in a month from this SAME vet that's "moving"
I asked him about going ahead and spaying her now but it's too far along to do.. in my eyes at least. So he gave me a written document stating what he found and I left.
I immediatly called the old vet and wouldn't you know it, the #'s disconnected! I am in total shock! I had been going to this vet for a LONG time. DH is upset because we paid them to spay her and he ripped us off and put her through all that pain for NOTHING!

So now, we're expecting!
She's got about a month to go and we will have 4-5 new additions in the home! I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad about this?!
I am going to have her spayed ASAP after the babies are adopted out.
Has anyone heard of such a thing?! I haven't. I don't know if I should try and hunt this vet down and sue him or just let it go

I'm so confused!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! That is unbelievable!! (not that I don't believe it
)

I would definately report that vet to the proper agencies. Especially since yours isn't the only case.

Well I guess that little girl in the waiting room knew what she was talking about!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happened to my mums cat too when she was in her 20's!
Then her cat got run over and

good luck with this new vet!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a terrible thing to happen, and you can be reasonably sure that it didn't just happen to you - if your new vet has already seen three - there are almost certainly more.

You really have to report him. What he did is morally unconsciounable, and it's quite possible (likely, even) that he is moving somewhere else to set up shop again - we're all here to do what we can for cat welfare - reporting this man could make a huge difference to a not insignificant number of cats.

Good luck Dixie Darlin, and good luck Reilly - I'm so sorry this was done to both of you.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a vet board that you can report this person to? It would be something similar to the state medical board with your regular doctor. What this vet did was breach the code of ethics of a practicing vet, and they should loose their license. In human terms I would put this along the lines of a doctor giving out fake medication.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two words.. Lawsuit- even in small laims. That's awful what they did to your kitty!!

Also call your local paper so you can get some publicity. Who knows how many other dogs/cats are out there that are supposedly "fixed" and the other owners don't know.

tunaqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, Dixie! That's some shocking news. Yes yes yes report him, and hopefully he won't be relocating to my county!!!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zak&rocky

Two words.. Lawsuit- even in small laims. That's awful what they did to your kitty!!

Also call your local paper so you can get some publicity. Who knows how many other dogs/cats are out there that are supposedly "fixed" and the other owners don't know.
Seriously - it has to be bigger than small claims - his license has to be revoced! That's of course assuming he has a license.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

That happened to my mums cat too when she was in her 20's!
Then her cat got run over and

good luck with this new vet!
The cat was in her 20's and got pregnant???

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, good luck to Reilly. Any idea who the daddy is?

I agree with Mollie, I think the media would love this story!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

The cat was in her 20's and got pregnant???
I'm going to go with her MOM was in her 20's! Otherwise, that's one amazing cat!!!

Dixie - please pursue this. You're so in the right here, and this guy needs to be stopped asap. I can't believe he's been doing this, I sure hope he doesn't get away with it.
Perhaps your new vet could contact the other clients he's seen and get them to contact you so you guys can pursue a class action?

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is SHOCKING!!! You mean that there is actually an incision and the cat was hot spayed? He cut her for NO REASON??? And now there are kittens on the way that you thought you prevented? I would be STEAMING!
Actually, I AM!!!

I hope you can find this "vet" and put him OUT OF BUSINESS!!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I agree with Mollie, I think the media would love this story!
Me too.

I cannot believe this, I would been SO upset if I were you. I'm upset and its not even my cat! I would be furious - and definately pursue this.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please do contact the local press. I know that our local paper has printed stories about a pet store that sold very ill puppies on the front page recently. More victims came forward and the store is out of business. If there's a TV station in your area that does consumer reports or has a tip line call them as well. They're always looking for stories like this.

My family often wondered if the vet spayed one of our dogs correctly. While she didn't get pregnant she often acted like she was in heat. I'm praying the Reilly is OK and that you find good homes for the unexpected litter.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zak&rocky

Yah I agree! Get this story published, people need to know about this vet.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also agree get your local news paper to run this story. There just might be alot of others that this has happened to and when they read the story they will come forward.I would also contact your old vet and demand your payment back. If they refuse then small claims court! They pay court cost also..

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is crazy I never heard of such craziness!!! Well I believe everything happens for a reason, maybe one of these kittens will grace someones life and change it or save them in some way!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

I also agree get your local news paper to run this story. There just might be alot of others that this has happened to and when they read the story they will come forward.I would also contact your old vet and demand your payment back. If they refuse then small claims court! They pay court cost also..
She tried calling, but the number was already disconnected. I agree the news is a great way to go. Maybe they can find him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone... sorry I didnt post sooner.. I am at work. I emailed the local newspaper and amd going to fax them copies of her "fake records" along with the records from her current vet. They said if it checks out they want to meet with me next week.
Also, I work at a local university that has vet techs here. I talked to the Dean and he's getting me some phone numbers of the vet association. This is against the "hypocratic oath" (sp?) that vets take. it's something similar to what an MD takes.

Yes, there was an incision and stitches where we thought she had been spayed.
I called the new vet this morning and asked if somehow it could be possible she was spayed and still got prego...(I know, dumb question) but there is NO way.. it's not like they tie her tubes...
I am still in shock. I feel so bad for Reilly. She was put through SO much to prevent her from breeding and now she had to go through the pain of birth.
I do think I know who the father is.
It's one of a couple strays in the neighborhood.
One is a brown tabby, the other is a solid black boy..Him and Tiger have had thier disagreements.
and I think I know why now... He was probably trying to protect Reilly...
Something else that confuses me is she never went into heat
Not that I knew of.
I am also going to have to separate her and Jake. He likes to wrestle with the kitties...It's a love/hate relationship... and when the babies are born I have NO clue what I am going to do. I might have to either keep Jake in his crate at night (which I don't want to do, he's in it all day) or keep Reilly and the babies in the boy's bedroom...

I am going to get my ducks in a row, contact a lawyer, find out how many other people he did this to and get a class action lawsuit going...he's gonna be sorry he EVER became a vet!