Worms and crying

mickee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 orphaned kittens and am assuming they are around 13 weeks old now. One was fecal checked, as the vet said they did not need to both be checked. The one checked was clean a week ago, but today I noticed a worm going in and out of the rectum of the kitten that was not checked. Of course I wormed her immediately.

My question is this, she has always cried the most and whined the most. Could it be due to the worms and possibly feeling bad? She is now whining more than ever and wants to be held, but not quite satisfied. Any suggestions? Could the wormer make her feel worse than the worms?

HELP!!!!

Mickee

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awe poor honey I hope you didn't use an over the counter worming product?

Bring them both in to the vet for some proper treatment. The vet might agree to only charge for one office visit for the two of them, hopefully.

About the crying, I don't know. My kittens "cry" all the time, but they seem just to be needing attention, orphaned kittens also. They want their momma.

And here, take a look at this thread on the worms your kitten may have and the advice given.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...t=counter+worm

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to, or should have brought a sample in from that kitten. There are many different types of worms they can contract and some are much more difficult to treat then other. All the kittens need to be treated as well but you need to find out what type of worm it is. The fact that you actually saw it come out and go back in is a serious matter! As well as easily passed to others.....

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, what sort of vet says that only ONE cat needs a fecal check when you have two?

I'd get another vet.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet is like that here, the low cost ones. They figure if they're from the same litter they've all got the same thing. They test one and treat the rest.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I know a few vets who do this too, mostly the low cost vets.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

Um, what sort of vet says that only ONE cat needs a fecal check when you have two?

I'd get another vet.
Only one cat needs to be fecal checked because whatever worms it has, the other will have the same ones as well. So unnecessary stress is avoided at least on one of the cats.

Avoiding unnecessary stress is important for cats because stress is one of the things that causes them to become sick.

Shanynne
Extreme kitty lover

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vik61

Awe poor honey I hope you didn't use an over the counter worming product?

Bring them both in to the vet for some proper treatment. The vet might agree to only charge for one office visit for the two of them, hopefully.

About the crying, I don't know. My kittens "cry" all the time, but they seem just to be needing attention, orphaned kittens also. They want their momma.

And here, take a look at this thread on the worms your kitten may have and the advice given.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...t=counter+worm
I just want to say a HUGE thank you to you Vik61
for posting that link!

Last night I was petting my baby, Rascal, he's 5 months, and suddenly on my hand I spotted something small, rubbery, gelatiny in appearance. I freaked out because I was convinced it was some kind of worm!

Well, I searched in this forum and found the link you had so kindly posted; and sure enough, I knew what I had seen and destroyed was a tape worm, the picture, especially left no doubt in my mind about it.

Of course, I brought both my babies to the vet this afternoon. They had tapeworms
. Well, that is taken care of now! So thank you once again for that link!

I do have a question though. I'm going to follow through with some Revolution tomorrow and I am going to treat the carpets, chairs, couches, etc. with some fleakiller powder, which I got at WalMart, the brand is "Enforcer, Flea Killer for Carpets", hope I made a good choice
followed by a thorough vacuuming. I am also currently washing my bathroom carpet which Rascal loves to "knead and suckle on" to make sure that is ok too.

How often should I do this treatment? Weekly, monthly? Just once? Will it be enough or should I get my carpets professionally cleaned? Also what about vinyl floors? Should I wash them with bleach (carefully and thoroughly rinshed afterwards, of course
)

What about our clothing ?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Shanynne
Extreme Kitty Lover

P.S. So glad I found this forum!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When there's a positive fecal it's customary to worm all the cats in the social group. However, when one cat has a negative fecal, then it can't be assumed that the other cats are negative as well.

As for the crying.....I just think it's a vocal cat.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

When there's a positive fecal it's customary to worm all the cats in the social group. However, when one cat has a negative fecal, then it can't be assumed that the other cats are negative as well.

As for the crying.....I just think it's a vocal cat.
Bingo on both counts~

Shanynne, I'm glad I posted that link too! Made my day just reading you got your babies treated already.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mickee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the advice and comments. I too think she is just vocal, but seems to be more so right now. They got their worm treatment and I treated everyone, both kittens and the dog. They now seem much more satisfied and not always wanting to eat. We still are finding worms, but dead ones but not seeing any coming out of the kitten. I check as soon as she gets up from her naps.

I hope we are on our way back up. They had round worms and tape worms, both, but got the medicine and seem to be a bit happier. I did get one on my arm which is sickening, but hey kids get worms too.

Thanks again,

Mickee

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear all is well. Tape worms can be nasty and long!
Maia and Cheyenne
Maia is happy to hear to!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mickee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now, I need to know one more thing. Now that they have been wormed we noticed what we think are worms in the stool, but they are not moving and appear to be dead. Is that normal? Does that mean the wormer worked and they are being passed out of her system?

Mickee