she pooped on my bed! Why???

onthebrink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 month old kitten pooped on my bed! WHY!!!???

Her litter is the same kind she's always had, in the same box, in the same location, and totally clean (changed a few hours earlier). Nothing interesting or new has happened. So why did this happen? And what can I do to prevent it in the future?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kitty's do this when they feel ignored, was there less playtime this day, feeding time change, anything that may have affected her emotionally should be considered. I had a kitty Pandi, who would poop and pee on my bed if I went away and someone else watched her, it was her revenge!
It could be a testing of the grounds, territory......She should be told this is not acceptable. A key thing to look for with kittens becoming attached to useing kitty litter is does she like to dig and cover. Maybe she needs a different litter................. Just some ideas...............

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

onthebrink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm.... I really can't think that anything was different at all - attention, etc.

How do I tell her it was wrong? I didn't catch her in the act - I found the mess later. So I don't know how to "discipline" her!

tunaqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could have been just an accident...unless it happens again I'd chalk it up to kitty being too busy to get to the pottie on time.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Tripod was a kitten he did the same thing except he did it RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME while my DH WAS SLEEPING IN THE BED!

I didn't realize it at the time, but there was something wrong. I will never know if that behavior was related. Maybe he was angry with my DH.???

It turns out that he had a rare type of tapeworm that is the result of eating raw fish that happens to have this worm. Nothing had been detected in his stool, but awhile later I saw the actual worm (yuck to say the least) while he was using his litterbox. It took many vet visits, online research, and treatments that didn't work before the right diagnosis was made. The vets office kept telling me that Tri must have been bitten by a flea because he had tapeworm. I kept telling them that HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY FLEAS! He had several doses of the usual tapeworm medication. The worm didn't die. Tripod had to have 32 times the normal amount of tapeworm meds (called Dronsit? or something like that) to be rid of this thing. This type of tapeworm is much stronger. Believe me, I did not like the idea of so much medication. The vet had never administered that much to a cat before, but we had no choice.

Like I said, it may or may not be related - just something to think about. I wasn't even aware that Tri had eaten raw fish until I thought about it later. He was found near my work, The guy in bay across the parking lot did a lot of fishing and would throw the remains in the trash. He must have eaten the fish before we found him.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it does happen again, just pick her up and place her on the bed looking at it, point and say "no, that is bad,no" in a stern voice. The same way you would say down or stay.......... Believe me cats are much more responsive to this then a lot of people give them credit. If it was'nt an accident, chances are she already knows it was bad, this is why they choose our beds. It could have been an accident but you want to make sure there is no scent of it there to avoid a repeat................

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say it is because she is a 4 month old KITTEN, she is young, she will make mistakes. How many litterboxes do you have? You should have one per cat and one extra. You should not yell at her or "discipline" her in any way. If it keeps up then she needs to be confined to a small room with the box and her food and toys and everything until she is taught again.

If it keeps up you need to consider that it could be because she is ill. Take a fecal sample to the vet and tell him whats up and have her looked at.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) You're sure it was poop? Just because hairballs covered with cat food look a lot like poop

2) Do you have a litterbox on every floor? Kittens often can't make it to another floor.

3) Has she been spayed? Ovarian cysts made my cat do some really weird things. (I know she's young, I actually doubt if that's it.)

4) Did you use bleach on your bedclothes? Bleach smells like amonnia (pee) to cats and sometimes they eliminate in clean clothes for this reason.

And finally, if it does continue, it would be good to have a vet check her.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel overwhelemed by all of these suggestions, obviously many of us have different methods and opinions, but health should be your first concern. If it is a repeat behavior, you should,nt be concerned. It is important to make sure there is no scent there, thoroughly clean area. Scent of prior poop or urine does trigger an area of use for this. Hope everything has been going well!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I would say it is because she is a 4 month old KITTEN, she is young, she will make mistakes. How many litterboxes do you have? You should have one per cat and one extra. You should not yell at her or "discipline" her in any way. If it keeps up then she needs to be confined to a small room with the box and her food and toys and everything until she is taught again.

If it keeps up you need to consider that it could be because she is ill. Take a fecal sample to the vet and tell him whats up and have her looked at.
Yes, please don't yell at her or discipline her in any way. Yelling at her will only scare and confuse her. She also may need to see the vet.

What kind of litter are you using?

Shanynne
Extreme Kitty Lover

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
is it possible the door was pulled to when she was playing and she couldn't get out to go? also would suggest putting another box out for her. if you have a two story house some kittens find it hard to make it to the loo if it's downstairs.