Decoding job ads

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Can anyone help me guess what this means:

Job type: part time, contractual (ok, that I understand)
Period of employment: 20 weeks spread out between September and April
(Later it also says: "must be willing to work weekends according to a varying schedule")

I'm confused about that second line...
Does it mean that they want someone to work part time during 20 of those weeks (and not work during the other weeks)... or do they want someone working the equivalent of 20 weeks full time during this period? Or work full time during 20 of those weeks (but not in other weeks)?

I'm confused. Has anyone seen that in a job posting before?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am thinking that it means you will be working part time hours during 20 of the weeks between September and April. I would ask for clarification on that if you are applying

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would take it to mean they need a part-time employee, who can work 20 weeks (I assume they make a fun schedule for you) over a period of time.

You'd have to check out what they consider part time to be: 15 hrs, 20 hrs, or anything less than 40 hrs etc.

I wouldn't think you would be expected to put in 80 hours one week and then not work at all for the next three weeks. I think they just want someone who can put in X amount of hours a week, whenever they need them for span of time.

Sounds sort of like a temp job almost.

~Julia

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or possibly that over that period of 40 weeks, you will be expected to put in hours that amount to a total of 20 weeks -- but stated that way, I would also kind of expect the hours to be rather irregular, or they could simply have said half time for 40 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Or possibly that over that period of 40 weeks, you will be expected to put in hours that amount to a total of 20 weeks -- but stated that way, I would also kind of expect the hours to be rather irregular, or they could simply have said half time for 40 weeks.
That's what I'm afraid of... not the irregular hours, but half-weeks would be too much for me. Part time for 20 weeks would be fine... but the equivalent of 20 full-time weeks would be too much.

There's a pretty good chance that the job requires more hours than I can really put in. Too bad cause the job sounds really good.
I guess I should call and ask but I don't really want to call without having my resume and cover letter ready (in case the person asks me to send it or bring it, I don't want to say "it's not ready, can you wait a day or two?")... and at the same time I don't want to prepare a resume and cover letter for nothing (I have enough things to do right now!)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I often have people call just to check details on a job without sending their resume, I usually just ask for a first name and double check they have the correct fax / email etc to apply. Just give them a call, say you are interested and would like to know a little more... and if it makes you feel better, you don't have to give them your real name for a call like that, but they will probably have more than one Marie apply

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd ring to find out. If they ask for your resume or for you to go in say you are enquiring for a friend.